House Price Crash Forum
workingpoor

Student Demo Turns Violent In Central London

Protesting about maintenance grants being turned into loans.

(Households with an income of £25,000 or less get a free maintenance loan of about £3500 a year + more. I expect that would apply to alot of those households on Tax Credits?)

It seems like everything in Osborne's post election emergency budget is being contested.

Every attempt to tackle tax credits or other associated giveaways in that budget is on it's way to being "softened" or U-turned due to the way the government seem to be ruled by PR and Media pressure.

The endemic proportions of the population that rely on state largesse make changes almost impossible.

http://news.sky.com/story/1581721/chaotic-scenes-as-student-demo-turns-violent

There have been violent scenes during a protest in central London by thousands of students demanding free education and the abolition of tuition fees.

TV footage showed scuffles between police officers and a number of demonstrators, including some wearing black hoods and scarves covering their faces.

Some of the unrest took place when the protest came to a stop outside a government building that handles student grants.

A group of protesters tried to get into the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) but were stopped by officers.

Some demonstrators let off flares and one was hurled towards police. Scotland Yard said smoke bombs and eggs were also thrown at officers.

Edited by workingpoor

But we are always being told that the Government have a comfortable majority and Corbyn could never be elected, yet here they are scared of everything, only 6 months into a 5 year term :wacko:.

But we are always being told that the Government have a comfortable majority and Corbyn could never be elected, yet here they are scared of everything, only 6 months into a 5 year term :wacko:.

Not sure if that means anything much. The left were out marching through most of the 80s. Particularly when they get violent it looks bad to the rest of the country.

I am all in favour of making University free. I would then cut the number of places by at least 75%. Oops - isn't that just like it used to be before the idiots took over the asylum?

I don't really take too much of an interest in the debate despite carrying quite a lot of student debt which I currently pay back £200/month. I earn a lot more than had I not gone to uni after all.

However, nothing irritates me more than somebody who had uni education for free or at a fraction of the cost complaining about people protesting about fees or that too many people go to uni. FWIW too many do go and you can't have everything for free but some people really need to remember how lucky they are and step off their high horse. Most of them are probably boomers mind...

I am all in favour of making University free. I would then cut the number of places by at least 75%. Oops - isn't that just like it used to be before the idiots took over the asylum?

Yes, it's like tax credits. Once they are dished out and everyone relies on them it's very hard to unwind it. University is now a means to load kids up with debt. Shameful.

Usual London mix of anti-anythingistas, SJW, SWP, Keep turning Left, Gay Lesbian animal rights, not to mention Miss Miggles who thought that they were protesting about the price of cat food and an American who simply wanted to cross the road but could not understand why the traffic was all on the wrong side.

I personally would have been delighted with the current system. It would have meant that I could have taken the place I was offered. I am not a great fan of the 'you got it free so I should get it free' mantra - a bit like feminism it only ever seems to highlight the bad parts of the equation.

Its the usual we want everything free brigade,why should anyone pay for anything. everything should be free. wages without working for them.

I think areas like medicine and engineering should be paid for, at least until enough people take it up...the rest, well, times change, we have Khan academy and stanford online courses and so forth for free nowadays.

All these people screaming free education should be a right...well, if they have a computer, it already is.

I suspect what they really mean is not 'free education is a right' but rather 'having my rent paid and a few thousand quids drinking and partying money every year for a number of years is a right'

I'll be honest, thats why I went to university and what most my loan went on. I highly doubt im an outlier. I didnt learn anything at university I couldn't have learnt in a library or online.

I think areas like medicine and engineering should be paid for, at least until enough people take it up...the rest, well, times change, we have Khan academy and stanford online courses and so forth for free nowadays.

All these people screaming free education should be a right...well, if they have a computer, it already is.

I suspect what they really mean is not 'free education is a right' but rather 'having my rent paid and a few thousand quids drinking and partying money every year for a number of years is a right'

I'll be honest, thats why I went to university and what most my loan went on. I highly doubt im an outlier. I didnt learn anything at university I couldn't have learnt in a library or online.

Yes, you do have the likes of the Kahn academy, but how do they stand with employers? Fine, if you don't want young people to have their "free" education, then why should the older generation retire at 55, and have their unearned final salary pensions? Their "free" money...

I agree the vast majority of degrees can be learnt straight out the text book. The fact that we have kids taking on debts, that not long ago would have bought you a 3 bed semi in a decent area, to finance universities to pay academics to repeat the same lecture year after year is disgraceful.

You can learn it all out of a book but can't get a job without the bit of paper that costs £50,000.

I agree the vast majority of degrees can be learnt straight out the text book. The fact that we have kids taking on debts, that not long ago would have bought you a 3 bed semi in a decent area, to finance universities to pay academics to repeat the same lecture year after year is disgraceful.

You can learn it all out of a book but can't get a job without the bit of paper that costs £50,000.

...its also a shame that vocational qualifications will always be looked down on...OK, tell the Plumber that when he's earning £40-£50k a year...

2011 riots, 2010, 2011 cold winters. House prices didn't move much.

Since then, along with stimulus we've had a couple of pleasant summers with mild winters and no civil unrest.

A couple of riots, now all we need is a cold winter and maybe that could be the trigger.

Here's the proportion of population aged 25 to 64 that has a degree according to OECD

Russian Federation: 54%

Canada: 48.3%

Israel: 43.6%

Japan: 41%

New Zealand: 41%

United States: 40.3%

Finland: 36.4%

Korea: 34.6%

Norway: 34.2%

Australia: 33.7%

Estonia: 33.3%

Ireland: 32.2%

Denmark: 32.2%

Belgium: 32.1%

United Kingdom: 31.8% (explains a great deal...)

Switzerland: 31.3%

Last figures for the UK I could find said 49% of young people are going to Uni http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22280939, a couple more % for about 20 years and we'll catch-up with Russia.

If you condemn the population to ignorance don't cry about sheeple when they fall for the HPI is good BS, that said Russians don't seem that good at seeing through Putin's BS - well either that or they realise the alternative is far worse.

For how much longer?

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/ernst-and-young-drops-degree-classification-threshold-graduate-recruitment

A degree has never cost so much and yet been worth so little.

Good for them. Will get more interesting if/when police officers can't afford housing and living costs.

Unfortunately, when the salaries of the police fall below their cost of living, they just start taking bribes. ie, Russian cops.

Should complete London's descent into urban hellhole. The place already resembles a massive refugee camp in terms of overcrowding and rough sleeping Roma gypsies. A breakdown of its administrative systems will finish the process.

Here's the proportion of population aged 25 to 64 that has a degree according to OECD

Russian Federation: 54%

Canada: 48.3%

Israel: 43.6%

Japan: 41%

New Zealand: 41%

United States: 40.3%

Finland: 36.4%

Korea: 34.6%

Norway: 34.2%

Australia: 33.7%

Estonia: 33.3%

Ireland: 32.2%

Denmark: 32.2%

Belgium: 32.1%

United Kingdom: 31.8% (explains a great deal...)

Switzerland: 31.3%

Last figures for the UK I could find said 49% of young people are going to Uni http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-22280939, a couple more % for about 20 years and we'll catch-up with Russia.

If you condemn the population to ignorance don't cry about sheeple when they fall for the HPI is good BS, that said Russians don't seem that good at seeing through Putin's BS - well either that or they realise the alternative is far worse.

I dont think university changes much. Education and intelligence aren't the same thing...Im still trying to unlearn my degree over a decade later :lol:

I think education up to, perhaps 14 or so teaches people to think things through in a systematic, methodological manner, if they have the ability (most dont, which is depressing) University just adds specialized knowledge. Useful in some areas, ie health, sciences, of questionable value in others.

Its the usual we want everything free brigade,why should anyone pay for anything. everything should be free. wages without working for them.

Stopped clock and all that but to be fair even Mervyn King was puzzled at the lack of protest.

I don't really take too much of an interest in the debate despite carrying quite a lot of student debt which I currently pay back £200/month. I earn a lot more than had I not gone to uni after all.

However, nothing irritates me more than somebody who had uni education for free or at a fraction of the cost complaining about people protesting about fees or that too many people go to uni. FWIW too many do go and you can't have everything for free but some people really need to remember how lucky they are and step off their high horse. Most of them are probably boomers mind...

Unlikely most boomers left school at 15 or 16.

2011 riots, 2010, 2011 cold winters. House prices didn't move much.

Since then, along with stimulus we've had a couple of pleasant summers with mild winters and no civil unrest.

A couple of riots, now all we need is a cold winter and maybe that could be the trigger.

ScumOween?