House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNACR

Buying A 'puter In The Us

Was about to pre-order a Surface Pro 4 but what I think I want really is the Surface Book. Not available in the UK but want one now and can't wait so what are the downsides?

Will take a flyer on the warranty so main concern is how irritating are any of the potential differences likely to be?

US keyboard would be a deal breaker for me.

Yes, that's the one in particular I was hoping someone would say 'I have a laptop with a US keyboard and it's never bothered me in the slightest'.

Yes, that's the one in particular I was hoping someone would say 'I have a laptop with a US keyboard and it's never bothered me in the slightest'.

If it makes you feel better, I have a laptop with a US keyboard and it's never bothered me in the slightest. :)

Once you've adjusted to it over a couple of weeks its just a non issue. I use a standard keyboard in work and switch back and forth without thinking about it.

If your importing direct from the states don't forget to factor in import duty/VAT and the cost of a new UK compatible charger.

Personally I've got my eyes on a Lenovo yoga thinkpad. Which I'll be picking up as soon as I feel flush enough.

I have a multitude of computers in the office, some UK some US keyboards - I tend not to notice that much. Mainly it is the @ vs " sign, occasionally £ but that one is easy enough to resolve. You soon learn to cope.

I'd be more worried about warranty.

Make sure you understand about sales taxes on the purchase side (ie, they bump up the price - unlike the UK, US prices are always quoted before sales tax).

If you're buying mail order make sure you understand the import taxes etc situation.

What about the voltage differences? Would that make any difference?

sounds like a nice machine

are you planning to go over there and fetch it?

I was as have got a bit of a shopping list of other stuff I want but not sure I can wait so might just order online. I'm pretty certain Microsoft, if they've got any sense, will launch here for Christmas but if I hang on and they don't I'II have just wasted time waiting.

My biggest concern is they'll turn out to have a subtle difference in wifi standards, or something, that will make its performance sub-optimal.

Ipad has always been my most used device. The ipad pro is around the corner but there's just too much software I need it won't run (well in any case). Apple apps like banking, and I suspect Apple pay will be must have but with the iphone 6+ there's a big overlap of ease of use over the ipad.

My biggest bugbear on the Surface range is lack of built in 4G modem as tethering is sh1te in comparison.

You just use one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stepdown-240-120v-Transformer-100VA/dp/B000NIYF0K

Assuming it's a different charger to the Surface Pro when they eventually launch a UK version chargers will be available. Would imagine it will see most charging in the car though.

No need for that - it'll have an autosensing switch mode PSU, so I'll work plugged straight into the UK mains.

No need for that - it'll have an autosensing switch mode PSU, so I'll work plugged straight into the UK mains.

Most power supplies are now "universal" in that they are ok from 90v to 250v.

You still might get a funny plug however.

More than likely but, wouldn't automatically assume particularly with a device not released in any other markets presently.

Edit: From googling it seems the PSU is common with the Pro 4 so no issues for anyone who doesn't fancy messing with the plug, in any case.

That's the one that comes without the keyboard...its normally extra...Can't you just get a UK keyboard for it? Officially the Pro 4 keyboard is $130. I expect the UK keyboard will be around £110 or so...

That's the one that comes without the keyboard...its normally extra...Can't you just get a UK keyboard for it? Officially the Pro 4 keyboard is $130. I expect the UK keyboard will be around £110 or so...

The Surface Book comes with the keyboard which, you're right, is an add on (yet virtually essential) accessory with the Surface Pro.

After all this rigmarole, after watching another review video I'm starting to veer back to the Surface Pro 4 and have also discovered there's an adapter so it will go in the Pro 3 docking station - which I like.

The Surface Book comes with the keyboard which, you're right, is an add on (yet virtually essential) accessory with the Surface Pro.

After all this rigmarole, after watching another review video I'm starting to veer back to the Surface Pro 4 and have also discovered there's an adapter so it will go in the Pro 3 docking station - which I like.

I think there's some fingerprint ID thing on the keyboard on the pro 4...You can possibly get a pro 3 keyboard, and just lose that functionality...

I just bought a laptop yesterday - PC world !! Well asked a bloke at work and apparently good spec for the price - £120 off - and will do more than enough for what I need. Dare I link it here so I can be shot down with how stupid I was..... :)

I just bought a laptop yesterday - PC world !! Well asked a bloke at work and apparently good spec for the price - £120 off - and will do more than enough for what I need. Dare I link it here so I can be shot down with how stupid I was..... :)

Can't be worse than the Kwik Fit ar5e rape surely?

Can't be worse than the Kwik Fit ar5e rape surely?

I would hope not - but here goes !!

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-x360-13-s060sa-13-3-2-in-1-red-10132636-pdt.html

Just need it to store basic docs, internet, maybe stream some stuff and use a bit of excel etc..

Didn't want to big a screen - and wanted it to run at a decent pace.

Apparently this has a decent processor, memory etc.. for the price.

Oh and I can do that flipping the screen around thing too.

I have used UK PC stuff in the us and us stuff in the UK, I think WiFi standards are universal, I have never had a problem anyway.

As has been mentioned previously the only differences seemed to be the keyboard and voltage.

As has been mentioned previously the only differences seemed to be the keyboard and voltage.

From memory the US keyboard just has the " & @ keys the wrong way around. Plus no £ symbol.

Not having the £ would probably be annoying.

"Alt 156" makes a pound symbol, for those of you blessed with a US keyboard. Actually it's not a US keyboard at all, since many countries use this layout.

From memory the US keyboard just has the " & @ keys the wrong way around. Plus no £ symbol.

Not having the £ would probably be annoying.

Here you go. I find anything in the @wrong place@ really annoying.

difteclats-us-uk2.png

post-11769-0-43777700-1446707570_thumb.p

Here you go. I find anything in the @wrong place@ really annoying.

You would be useless in a gangbang.

You would be useless in a gangbang.

You might have some good parties! :)

I remember "Ain't nothing like a gang bang", by your felllow Scot, Mr Alex Harvey, now deceased. :wacko: