House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Strong Iphone Cases

I've just ordered an iPhone 5s, and I'm looking for a decent, strong phone case. I know a couple of people who have an Otterbox, but they look far too chunky..Anyone else get any other ideas? It should ideally have a strong screen protector too..

GRIFFIN Survivor Case is very good. Only awkward thing is the cover for camera which has snapped over after about a year.

But it has kept the phone scratch free and undamaged for around a year - despite regular drops on rocks while out running, and in very heavy rain (again tiny drops of water do creep in after a couple of hours).

One last thing, the fingerprint scanner is covered.

I've got the chunky gorilla glass lump of metal one that completely undermines the iPhone 6's slim and lightweight form factor.

Plus is that it's definitely saved the phone - there are gouges in the metal of the case. Also I removed material from the back of the case to make it thinner so I could incorporate wireless charging. I have then built wireless charging pads into the car, my desk, coffee table - basically anywhere I ever put it down so it is almost always charged.

With the less chunky cases it was actually much harder to hide the charging pad and satisfyingly people have asked how come I never charge my phone.

Why not buy a non breakable phone?

Why not buy a non breakable phone?

There's the JCB phone, but the phone is a bit crap, and it was a bit destructible..I remember a test of it, and it failed quite badly...Might of improved by now...

The otterbox defender case is a thing of wonder. Bought one for the blackberry and ended up dropping the phone on the floor just to see peoples' reactions, working still.

Samsung note - don't drop that intentionally, but when it has been dropped same result - no damage whatsoever.

If you want to be pretty much sure your phone will not break if you drop it then get one. If you are more concerned about the looks, don't.

The otterbox defender case is a thing of wonder. Bought one for the blackberry and ended up dropping the phone on the floor just to see peoples' reactions, working still.

Samsung note - don't drop that intentionally, but when it has been dropped same result - no damage whatsoever.

If you want to be pretty much sure your phone will not break if you drop it then get one. If you are more concerned about the looks, don't.

My dad has an otterbox on his iphone...I find it a bit too thick...

Do you use your phone in rough environments or chuck it around, or is it a domestic phone.

I have a couple of 4S. One gets very rough treatment as a piece of field equipment and it is just in an ordinary leather tuff case that has a flap that covers the screen, no screen protector.

The other is naked.

Both are old and fine. Both have feint scratches on the screen and back that you can see at certain angles.

i find the 'tough' cases just make them too bulky and are also not necessary.

Do you use your phone in rough environments or chuck it around, or is it a domestic phone.

I have a couple of 4S. One gets very rough treatment as a piece of field equipment and it is just in an ordinary leather tuff case that has a flap that covers the screen, no screen protector.

The other is naked.

Both are old and fine. Both have feint scratches on the screen and back that you can see at certain angles.

A bit of both...

Who doesn't know someone who has smashed an iphone screen. I know they were reported to trying to perfect sapphire screens.

I thought sapphire glass was meant to be less tough than the gorilla glass?

I think the advantage of sapphire is it's harder and thus more scratch resistant.

The other is naked.

I had the original iphone which was great until I reached down to get something and it was in my back pocket and the screen cracked.

The 4s was a good blend of toughness and functionality, and likely I would still be using mine if Apple's 7.0 update hadn't borked the wifi/bluetooth chips so they barely function. I had a flip case very much like yours.

The Android phones I had struggled with the often damp and rainy conditions here plus the occasional drop. The software was also often rather poor. So when I bought a second iphone 5s - I decided I wasn't fussed about the form of the thing, I just wanted something I could use and that wouldn't get trashed.

I do think that's quite a useful feature of today's phones in general. You simply get the case you need. Some people want svelte and to show off the looks of their gadget, others want something that looks like it belongs in a Terminator movie (either for posing, or because the phone'll get trashed otherwise).

I had an otterbox for an iPhone 4s. It kept the phone immaculate for a couple of years where I assumed it would have been smashed to pieces through various impacts. I remove the case for running so it fits snugly in the pocket of my running shorts, and about a year ago, I stopped putting it back in because I wasn't bothered about it getting damaged any more, because I quite want to replace it anyway (it just doesn't work well any more). Turns out they're much more durable than I imagined. Even when my 6 year old dropped it down some concrete steps at the local pool, only the back cracked.