House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Google Becoming Unusable

Now it may just be that I value my digital privacy from the search giant and so use a VPN, AdBlocker and clear cookies frequently- but I am increasingly finding Google keep asking me to sign their T&Cs to comply with laws around handling personal information and that I keep being asked to verify that I am human and not a bot.

I only assume this is because I don't give away details so they assume I am a new visitor and that perhaps as I use a VPN it is known source of hidden internet traffic and perhaps suspicious behaviour,

I don't get any of this with Bing and Microsoft in general, and actually I am much happier to pay for their services knowing that they don't trawl through my emails to spam me. I can only assume Google is doing this so as to cover it's @rse legally with all the things it does.

I use a VPN and Google every day, and I haven't seen a "verify yourself" prompt for a couple of months.

I think that, at that time, I was searching for specific similar terms for search engine optimisation/marketing purposes and so their algorithm picked up on this.

I'm not saying you're imagining things, but I wonder if it's because you're clearing your cookies frequently and that's why you keep being asked to re-verify.

I use a VPN and Google every day, and I haven't seen a "verify yourself" prompt for a couple of months.

I think that, at that time, I was searching for specific similar terms for search engine optimisation/marketing purposes and so their algorithm picked up on this.

I'm not saying you're imagining things, but I wonder if it's because you're clearing your cookies frequently and that's why you keep being asked to re-verify.

I clear all cookies every time I shut my browser and maybe get the verification stuff once every 6 months or so. I also run ghostery, adblocker and anything else to piss the b@st@rds off. I don't use bing because it is s**t but I'm not a big fan of Google either.

Just an idea - if the VPN is dropping and reconnecting, without your knowledge, then your IP might be changing between requests.

You'd also get this without a VPN and with an ISP that uses something called "Carrier Grade NAT" - like EE 4G.

Or if you're browsing on Wi-Fi on a mobile device and the Wi-Fi signal is weak so you're flipping between Wi-Fi and your mobile data connection.

A session that changes IP address looks suspicious. Indeed this particular site won't work in that scenario - the server denies the request and the page comes back blank.

Yes.

Nearly started this thread myself.

Not just the VPN, has started doing the same on my standard connection.

I got fed up enough that I'm now trying Bing. Turns out it's just as good as google without blocking your search with prompts.

Out of interest - Mikhail, Libspero..

What device are you using to browse, what browser, what AV/privacy software?

I'm wondering if there is some commonality in the requests your devices are presenting.

Had a problem with my mum's Win 7 machine, running IE 11...It would visit google.co.uk, you put in search criteria, but it would not reveal any search results...I had to deactivate and reactive IE11 in the Windows components console, a couple of times to get it to work. It was really weird...

Desktop PC & laptop PC running Windows 10 and Windows XP.

Desktop running AVG free antivirus.

Laptop running over VPN to Germany and using Symantec.

In both cases does the same in IE, Chrome and Firefox.

Edit to add: also use IOS and not had an issue on the mobile platform. Yet.

I got this "sign up" prompt from Google the other day. I don't want to! -_-

I got this "sign up" prompt from Google the other day. I don't want to! -_-

I saw it in the search....then got a big box and not able to see anything.

Got this yesterday. Luckily instead of selected accept I checked other options and there was all sorts of things I was automatically accepting, sharing data for as targeting, browsing history on YouTube etc, which I deselected all before accepting.

I'm also on a VPN and regularly get the captcha check on google to make sure I'm not a bot

Maybe the vpn ip is one of those free ones used for spamming and google recognises it as such...

Tor uses such access points and google falls over 90% of the time requesting verification....

I signed up with openvpn a fortnight ago. 2 years unlimited access for £4.00, was a deal too good to miss, service is fast as well. Google's security is good as it will not let me access any of my google email accounts (pop3) from the vpn and I get constant emails when I try it saying someone has my password..

Out of interest - Mikhail, Libspero..

What device are you using to browse, what browser, what AV/privacy software?

I'm wondering if there is some commonality in the requests your devices are presenting.

W10 and same with OSX El Cap

Noob question - what are the advantages of using these vpn services? I assume it's to protect privacy, but beyond this principle (that #i understand is important for many people, even when they have nothing to hide), is it worth the hassle for the average web user?

Google keeps shoving its "privacy notice" thing in my face (I expect it says "We don't give a damn about it!") but that's as much hassle as I've had from it. I don't sign into the damn thing (why on earth would I want to?) and have Firefox only keep cookies for the session (with a few exceptions for things like HPC that I sign into regularly anyway, i.e. sites that actually have a sound reason for having them in the first place). YouTube is a bit more of a problem since Google own that, so if I sign into that it's a browser restart when I've finished with it, but even then I've never had a "prove you're a human" prompt. I do get the occasional "add a phone number" nonsense, but at least they appear to have given up on the "tell us your real name" one.

Noob question - what are the advantages of using these vpn services? I assume it's to protect privacy, but beyond this principle (that #i understand is important for many people, even when they have nothing to hide), is it worth the hassle for the average web user?

It's generally a business security thing.

I only have it on my work laptop.. it's basically just an encrypted line of communication direct to your company network.

Other than to make it look like you are somewhere you're not, there's absolutely no benefit for a casual PC user.

Unusable but essential. Ok a bit biased and you get used to one format. But no way is Bing as comprehensive as a search engine. I also find Google's financial charting second to none, and surprisingly the in house stuff is not always number one on the search list.

Google keeps shoving its "privacy notice" thing in my face (I expect it says "We don't give a damn about it!") but that's as much hassle as I've had from it.

That's what I get.. an annoying prompt about changes to google's privacy policy (presumably because of the new snoopers charter laws where the government will have unrestricted access to everybody's search histories).

I don't mind them telling me about it. I object to not being able to search for something without having to click through some annoying pop up. Bing works just fine without needing any such nonsense.

Unusable but essential. Ok a bit biased and you get used to one format. But no way is Bing as comprehensive as a search engine.

What do you miss?

So far I can't really tell the difference (other than Bing have annoyingly distracting/ bright backgrounds on their home page).

What do you miss?

So far I can't really tell the difference (other than Bing have annoyingly distracting/ bright backgrounds on their home page).

It could be user bias and formatting as you say. But would definitely miss their charting, such as this...live and you can work back to a spot price at any given minute of the recent past. Nice and user friendly.

http://www.google.co.uk/finance?cid=12590587

Indeed Google must love me because Youtube and Google are my top sites and from the same stable. Plus gmail.

And don't forget Google earth ...what more could a man want geography, videos and stats. :unsure: