House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Lambeth Riot

Have I missed a thread covering this ? What's wrong with these people ffs. Observe the clown face planting a riot shield or head butting a truncheon. Throwing things at the police has never been so much fun,apparently.

When was that supposed to be? Does anyone here live near Lambeth?

A Geordie chum of mine lived in Railton Road, Brixton, whenever those riots were (1981?). He said the TV made it look like Beirut on a bad day, but he didn't notice much going on, apart some police vans and one burned car.

London, cram millions of people into tiny slaveboxes and leave them living half a life and it's then any excuse for a riot just to relieve the monotony.

There was no thread on the Scumoween rave cum riot as no one was surprised.

to be fair, if I lived in London, id probably go mad and be behind bars by now. A couple of hours in the place and i'll be ranting to myself about crowding, queues, pushy people and costs. But then thats why I dont live in London.

I quite like the Lambeth in the video. All bomb sites, pubs, and greengrocers.

I'll bet it's all Costa, and estate agents now.

The house where my mum grew up in Clapham was demolished for being a "slum".

How much would that cost now?

When was that supposed to be? Does anyone here live near Lambeth?

A Geordie chum of mine lived in Railton Road, Brixton, whenever those riots were (1981?). He said the TV made it look like Beirut on a bad day, but he didn't notice much going on, apart some police vans and one burned car.

I got caught up is several riots in London in the late 80s / early 90s. The riots themselves were relatively underwhelming - The news reporting on them was orders-of-magnitude more exciting. Since then I've always been suspicious of riot reporting (in fact, news reporting in general).

I got caught up is several riots in London in the late 80s / early 90s. The riots themselves were relatively underwhelming - The news reporting on them was orders-of-magnitude more exciting. Since then I've always been suspicious of riot reporting (in fact, news reporting in general).

I got stuck in Egypt after the "revolution". After a walk into Alexandria with a colleague, we met a march of people waving Egyption flags. I've never seen a more poilte bunch of "rioters".

I also heard this from an American living in Egypt during the 'Arab Spring.' The BBC was creaming its pants in the hope of reporting a 'revoloooooshun'.

Wasnt there footage of a female reporter who was dragged down some subway steps in the main square in Cairo and gang raped?

Wasnt there footage of a female reporter who was dragged down some subway steps in the main square in Cairo and gang raped?

I wasn't in Cairo. And I didn't film it. All I can say is what I actually saw, not some you-tube video clip.

That event could happen in Swindon.

Cairo is probably safer than bits of Manchester. I remember the Arndale Centre blowing up,

Mrs May should authorise the use of Water Cannon.

And put this stuff in it.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_%28weapon%29

A BBC reporter describes its effects as follows:

“Imagine the worst, most foul thing you have ever smelled. An overpowering mix of rotting meat, old socks that haven’t been washed for weeks – topped off with the pungent waft of an open sewer. . .Imagine being covered in the stuff as it is liberally sprayed from a water cannon. Then imagine not being able to get rid of the stench for at least three days, no matter how often you try to scrub yourself clean.”

A reporter for Reuters described its effect in the following words:

Imagine taking a chunk of rotting corpse from a stagnant sewer, placing it in a blender and spraying the filthy liquid in your face. Your gag reflex goes off the charts and you can't escape, because the nauseating stench persists for days.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_%28weapon%29#cite_note-Browning-3' rel="external nofollow">

That will learn the buggers......

Yeah, I remember that. I think that was the first hint that the 'Arab Spring' wasn't about to transform all these North Africans and Middle Easterners into Guardian readers.

Cynical git that I am I was not very surprised.

Only a month ago it was all going so well.

I am watching
on television of brave and cheering Egyptians in Tahrir Square. Eighteen days that shook the world where ordinary Egyptians faced down oppression and now Mubarak has GONE….. scuttled off to Sharm el-Sheikh. The Egyptian people have come so far and are an example for us all! Never give up!!

It marks the
of the Arab masses as an actor rather than the passive and infantilised observers they had been for generations. The stranglehold of dictatorship has been broken from below. The Arab world shall never be the same.
I am
Sunday morning, February 6. For 12 days and nights now, millions of Egyptian women and men, Muslims and Christians, people of all ideologies and beliefs–
the Egyptian people
—have continued to unite under the banner of spontaneous popular revolution.

What particularly chuffed lefties over here was the apparent anti-Mubarak unity between Muslim and Christian, as well as the women protesters on the streets of Cairo.

The first little unpleasantness - the attack on CBS reporter Lara Logan in Tahrir Square on the evening of Mubarak's resignation. Then last Friday a Coptic Christian church was burned down after rioting over "a romantic relationship between a Christian man and a Muslim woman" - and local Muslims held prayers on the burned-out site.

http://ukcommentators.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/egypt-goes-tad-pyriform.html

Egypt, like India is a land of many faiths. Sometimes things "kick off" a bit but generally people get on.

On a trip to Cairo, I went to a mosque, synagog, and Coptic church all in one afternoon. Only the synagog wanted to look through my bags, but it was full of Americans (not the bag BTW, before some wit notices!) :wacko:

It's also remarkable how quickly the locals have learnt the UK lingo of entitlement and victimhood when reporting on their home events overseas. All the coded words and expressions.

The diversity, rights and pc correctness etc lingo.