House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Computer Help Needed

Computer illiterate here. Suddenly, nothing I connect (like Nikon camera; external hd; memory sticks) to USB ports on my desktop machine gives any response. Nothing appears on 'My Computer', nor anywhere on desktop.

Any suggestions. please....

So ANY USB using any of the USB ports does not work.

Do any other issues exist? E.g. no sound from the sound ports.

Do you have more than one 'set' of USB ports? i.e. there are normally some round the back where all the cables are, but then some on another panel either on the front or side behind a panel etc..

Presumably the mouse and keyboard work? Or are they the old round type of connector? If they work, try unplugging and plugging into one of the other usb ports to identify which ones work and which ones don't.

Just to add to the list of 'obvious, but better check' themes - are you using a usb hub for all these devices (note if you're connecting via the monitor then that will be a usb hub)? If so, try connecting directly to the computer. The USB sockets at the rear of the computer tend to be the more difficult to break.

Computer illiterate here. Suddenly, nothing I connect (like Nikon camera; external hd; memory sticks) to USB ports on my desktop machine gives any response. Nothing appears on 'My Computer', nor anywhere on desktop.

Any suggestions. please....

if you are plugging stuff directly into the PC USB ports,and getting nothing.,then I'd say you've got a corrupted driver.

you can go into device manager,and roll back to the previous driver , or if you have your motherboard CD available then I'd have a nosey in that and re-install the drivers from there.

Thanks to all you thoughtful posters . I tested all USB ports and found the two on the front of the computer were dead. The ports on the back functioned fine. No idea why the front two have suddenly died.

Might be a cable lose inside?

Uh-oh. Better edit that last post Mr Pin. Lose != Loose :ph34r:

Can't be bothered. :unsure: Slightly worn out keyboard here.

Might be as simple as a cable off.

Or the USB chip for those ports has died.

Multiport USB cards can be had for a few quid if you run out of them.

It's possible that the bit of the motherboard that handles the front USB slots has died, or that there is a loose connection to the motherboard. Mind you if the computer hasn't moved anywhere you'd wonder why it has suddenly become loose.

If you think back to the last time that you know that the front ports were working.. what has changed since, if anything, a Windows 10 upgrade being the most obvious possibility. Which might indicate a driver issue.

If nothing: and if you can slide the side off the computer and follow the wiring from the USB hub on the front casing (with the power off) then try pulling it out of the motherboard and plugging it in again. Do not exert any force, it should go back onto the pins easily and don't let go of it, so you know you've put it back exactly from where it came.

Here's a useful tool.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Should list all USB devices that have been connected to your system, and show the date. Might give a clue on what has changed.

It's a bit nerdy, but you should be able to see last time your camera connected.

That's an interesting site Mr Pin. I'll bookmark it and have read sometime, maybe I'll even learn something :)

They do some good utilities.

IT isn't really the forte of people on this forum.

If you'd had a problem with your air brakes you'd have been sorted in no time.