House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

New 'carry On..' Film To Be Made

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3297906/Carry-returning-2017-20-years-film-released.html

Can this possibly work?

Just about every nudge, nudge gag that typifies the franchise would fail today's politically correct tests...

Is this after "Dad's Army'

Are we now set for a spate of nostalgic remakes that would be best unmade and if made, unseen ?.

I never saw 'Carry on Columbus' but I've heard it's ghastly and many officianados apparently consider it extra-canonical.

Mind you the last 'proper' Carry On film, 'Carry On Emmanuelle' was dire beyond imagining.

I agree there's no point making them now because as a culture we have reached a no-man's land where all the old taboos have been broken, but nobody dares break the new taboos of political correctness. This means that innuendo, the driving force of the Carry Ons, has no power to amuse or shock.

I've been watching a lot of the old 'Are You Being Served' episodes on Youtube .They are sheer joy but could never be made nowadays. Some of it was sheer filth, eg:

Miss Brahms: Ere, you know these Y Fronts, do they do Y Backs as well?

Mr Humphries: No, there isn't much call for them, unfortunately...

I never saw 'Carry on Columbus' but I've heard it's ghastly and many officianados apparently consider it extra-canonical.

Mind you the last 'proper' Carry On film, 'Carry On Emmanuelle' was dire beyond imagining.

Very much so. I was bought Carry on Emmanuelle as a present because I liked Carry Ons and had mentioned that it was the only one I'd not seen. It was awful; I struggled to make it to the end and would regard being forced to watch it again as a breach of my human rights.

If they get this one right it could be excellent, take some great writers - David Walliams and Matt Lucas, Reeves and Mortimer,Higson & Whitehouse - and a panoply of much loved comedy stars could raise it as a modern classic and tribute to the series.

If however they attempt to recreate the 1970s with older comics basically doing impersonations of the old stars and the same hackneyed lines then it will be a disaster.

The best Carry Ons IMO were the ones where the lead was taken by other than the main crop who tbh were at their best as a supporting crew. Cary on Screaming (Harry H Corbett), Carry on Camping (Terry Scott and Betty Marsden), Frankie Howerd, Phil Silvers. I also personally couldn't stand Sid James (and this was before I found out that he was a serial woman-beater) and consequently my most watched is Carry on Behind where his role was taken by Windsor Davies with Jack Douglas taking and improving upon the Bernard Bresslaw role of his thick mate.

I've been watching a lot of the old 'Are You Being Served' episodes on Youtube .They are sheer joy but could never be made nowadays. Some of it was sheer filth, eg:

Miss Brahms: Ere, you know these Y Fronts, do they do Y Backs as well?

Mr Humphries: No, there isn't much call for them, unfortunately...

Absolutely magic weren't they?

Although John Inman's character was rather camp, he was not an object of ridicule.

Who doesn't want to know about Mrs Slocombe's pussy?

Having worked in a large department store, it seemed realistic to me. :wacko:

Remaking old films is usually disappointing. Who could remake "Casablanca"?

I believe the "Carry On" era has passed, when all the "innuendo" departed.

Carry on up the Khyber?

(they've already done that haven't they?....just realised that title might have some Cockerney rhyming slang imp!ications...as a kid I had no idea...ooh err Mr Humphries)

Wasn't Kenneth Williams the "Grand Khazi"? Filmed in Wales, BTW.

Actually - was she even in the carry on films ?

Who cares - fit anyway.

Actually - was she even in the carry on films ?

Who cares - fit anyway.

She was in two: Matron and Girls. That's from wiki; I don't remember her being in any though I remember her in Dad's Army.

She was in two: Matron and Girls. That's from wiki; I don't remember her being in any though I remember her in Dad's Army.

"Are you being served"? Agree with CCC. Quite a handsome girly. Dead now.

Best bit I remember was in Carry On Screaming - Fenella Fielding as the vamp, lying seductively on a sofa and saying, 'Do you mind if I smoke?'

With 'smoke' then issuing from all around her. Whatever happened to FF? She was brilliant. Don't think I ever saw her in anything 'straight' (as in non comedy) but she was a great comedy actress.

Was just thinking you couldn't even do that 'smoke' bit now. Having said that we saw actors smoking all over the stage recently at a performance of Rattigan's French Without Tears at the Orange Tree in Richmond. Very funny.

Best bit I remember was in Carry On Screaming - Fenella Fielding as the vamp, lying seductively on a sofa and saying, 'Do you mind if I smoke?'

With 'smoke' then issuing from all around her. Whatever happened to FF? She was brilliant. Don't think I ever saw her in anything 'straight' (as in non comedy) but she was a great comedy actress.

Was just thinking you couldn't even do that 'smoke' bit now. Having said that we saw actors smoking all over the stage recently at a performance of Rattigan's French Without Tears at the Orange Tree in Richmond. Very funny.

Very funny. I think she's still going, but she is as old as my mum. I didn't realise she did the "Blue cat" voice, as my friend and myself were well bonged up for the afternoon, sitting in the Purley Astoria, with a lot of kids and parents. I think we were the only ones there without parents in attendance!

Very funny. I think she's still going, but she is as old as my mum. I didn't realise she did the "Blue cat" voice, as my friend and myself were well bonged up for the afternoon, sitting in the Purley Astoria, with a lot of kids and parents. I think we were the only ones there without parents in attendance!

If you ever watch "Carry on Forever" you will see that time has not been kind to her.

If you ever watch "Carry on Forever" you will see that time has not been kind to her.

Presumably she has not gone in for face lifts/Botox, or has put weight on, or both. Time does tend to leave its marks if we let Nature take its course.

I was staggered a few years ago to see Sylvia Sims in something or other - would never have recognised her. Still have vivid memories of her in The Tamarind Seed - 70s Cold War thriller where she was stunningly beautiful and played, brilliantly, the wife of a British diplomat who was up to no good.

Still, I admire anyone who doesn't feel compelled to spend shedloads trying to look 37 when they're in their 60s or 70s.

Cheers. I did a Google but got stuck on her pictures.

Who would have thought a young Pauline Fowler was one of the filthiest looking things around. Astounding filthness.

Presumably she has not gone in for face lifts/Botox, or has put weight on, or both. Time does tend to leave its marks if we let Nature take its course.

I was staggered a few years ago to see Sylvia Sims in something or other - would never have recognised her. Still have vivid memories of her in The Tamarind Seed - 70s Cold War thriller where she was stunningly beautiful and played, brilliantly, the wife of a British diplomat who was up to no good.

Still, I admire anyone who doesn't feel compelled to spend shedloads trying to look 37 when they're in their 60s or 70s.

Absolutely agree with that. She still looked better than some leather-faced, unable-to-smile type. No idea why people can't "grow old gracefully". Procedures seem to start mid 20's now for those in front of the camera.