House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CunningPlan

Meritorious Words

Thanks to Zugzwang for introducing me to such a wonderfully usable yet obscure word. I am determined to drop it into conversation whenever appropriate.

One of my favourite 'obscure but usable' words is ensorcell.

What others should I be adding to my vocabulary?

How about prolix?

Wonderful. You should have been in engineering consultancy. A picture is worth a thousand words, but here's a thousand words! :blink:

How about "grandiloquent"

But that is kind of the point. 'Zugzwang' is such a neat word that really has no equivalent so it doesn't seem to me to fall into that category (whereas grandiloquent probably falls into its own category)

From the HR Dictionary of Words That Should Be Used More Often:

palimpsest - parchment where writing has been scraped off and the parchment re-used.

ucalegon - a neighbour whose house is on fire.

callipygean - having beautiful buttocks

phugoid - motion, whereby a craft oscillates between climbing and diving

glabella - the space between eyebrows. (if hirsute, results in a monobrow)

From the HR Dictionary of Words That Should Be Used More Often:

palimpsest - parchment where writing has been scraped off and the parchment re-used.

ucaligon - a neighbour whose house is on fire.

callipygean - having beautiful buttocks

phugoid - motion, whereby a craft oscillates between climbing and diving

glabella - the space between eyebrows

You should publish it! I especially liked the buttocks bit! :blink:

A fellow sesquipedalian.

How do you know all these things? :wacko: Are you "blessed"? And will they ever let you out?

Wonderful. You should have been in engineering consultancy. A picture is worth a thousand words, but here's a thousand words! :blink:

That's why engineers are the only people who can write user manuals - but they're no good at it, so they produce inadequate cartoons!

That's why engineers are the only people who can write user manuals - but they're no good at it, so they produce inadequate cartoons!

Don't I know it! :( I hope they are not cartoons of a drunk prophet in a synagog having sex with bacon.

How do you know all these things? :wacko: Are you "blessed"? And will they ever let you out?

I keep a text file of interesting words I come across, mostly on the internet.

pareidolia - seeing faces, facial recognition

comminution - the process in which solid materials are reduced in size, by crushing, grinding and other processes

pedilavium - ceremony of washing feet

odaxelagnia - sexual arousal through biting

cremnophobia — fear of cliffs

I guess if you seek knowledge you might get to find out more than you ever wanted to know! :wacko:

Don't I know it! :( I hope they are not cartoons of a drunk prophet in a synagog having sex with bacon.

That explains the manual for my new chair!!!

I keep a text file of interesting words I come across, mostly on the internet.

pareidolia - seeing faces, facial recognition

comminution - the process in which solid materials are reduced in size, by crushing, grinding and other processes

pedilavium - ceremony of washing feet

odaxelagnia - sexual arousal through biting

cremnophobia fear of cliffs

I would have thought cremnophobia would be a fear of being burned alive.

What's your favourite serendipitous word?

I don't know whether I have many phobias. Only badly winched pianos. Also I don't like this modern woodworking glue. I like the old brown stuff you boiled in a tin, made out of horses! :(;)

It is unwise to use too many long words together, it makes one look like a pretentious prat.

Yesterday I used "ineluctable modality of the visible" in another thread.

That was a joke. It was a quote from James Joyce. He was a pretentious prat.

It is unwise to use too many long words together, it makes one look like a pretentious prat.

Wasn't he just? Never got it myself.

Agreed. A bit like lobbing in Latin phrases willy-nilly. But once every now and again, especially if it is a great word in context, does no-one any harm.

Agreed. A bit like lobbing in Latin phrases willy-nilly. But once every now and again, especially if it is a great word in context, does no-one any harm.

its a fine balance between enjoying the rich vocabulary of English, and borrowed words, whilst not being so obscure as to be misunderstood.

What's your favourite serendipitous word?

I've always been fond of gubernatorial, but never get the chance to use it.

I'm not sure ucalegon is useful. I long for my neighbours house to burn down.

It does also depend on the audience - I have always thought using 'Stakhanovite' was fairly common parlance but my family tell me I am being a pretentious prat (actually they just say prat).

Because so few people actually use or understand these words, I would claim that they are not part of the language, just a hobby for social misfits.

Because so few people actually use or understand these words, I would claim that they are not part of the language, just a hobby for social misfits.

Welcome to OT. :unsure:

I like words. A good use of vocabulary means you can convey ideas much more succinctly. However, when I first started work I wrote a short report where I included the word 'deleterious' as in 'the change had a deleterious impact' or somesuch like. I was gently chided by my manager and advised not to use long words in reports that people would not understand. To this day I don't think it is beyond the wit of man and that words are for learning if you do not understand them. However, I was sharp enough to keep my reports monosyllabic for my entire career.

It was your manager that didn't understand it. :unsure: