House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turned Out Nice Again

No Hpc Forum November.

Why?

Because it's a waste of time.

Any other suggestions for disciplines I could embrace over the coming month? (Piss-takes aside) I'm considering:

Sleeping on the floor

Cold showers

No internet (outside of work)

No mobile

No masturbation (I was going to say "no sex" but the wife has that covered already)

No TV/ media

No drinks except water

Because it's a waste of time.

Any other suggestions for disciplines I could embrace over the coming month? (Piss-takes aside) I'm considering:

Sleeping on the floor

Cold showers

No internet (outside of work)

No mobile

No masturbation (I was going to say "no sex" but the wife has that covered already)

No TV/ media

No drinks except water

Personally, I would pick a good daily habit you want to maintain rather than something to deprive yourself for short period eg

Meditation

Musical instrument practice

Doing a good deed for someone else

Language practice

In November I am going to avoid buying houses.

I'm with you!

Who's with me?

How about no main forum - you have to only stay in the off topic?

Personally, I would pick a good daily habit you want to maintain rather than something to deprive yourself for short period eg

Meditation

Musical instrument practice

Doing a good deed for someone else

Language practice

Is the better answer. Though the activities are the old clichés. I've never seen the point of learning a language unless you're going to use it.

I've always been in favour of single board forums so even post my On-Topic stuff in Off-Topic.

Apparently November is national write a novel month somewhere (probably the USA).

I've heard of that here for several years - they call it NaNoWriMo or summat.

I would like to think I could use all the time I spend on a couple of forums practising the piano instead, but it's an acoustic and I don't want to drive Mr B mad with the same stuff over and over.

At least, that's my excuse for not getting to serious grips with all the 20 odd scales I need to know if I do actually take grade 5 next year.

I've heard of that here for several years - they call it NaNoWriMo or summat.

I would like to think I could use all the time I spend on a couple of forums practising the piano instead, but it's an acoustic and I don't want to drive Mr B mad with the same stuff over and over.

At least, that's my excuse for not getting to serious grips with all the 20 odd scales I need to know if I do actually take grade 5 next year.

Sounds great! I don't have any certificates for music at all. I should practice more. I only do easy pop songs. But I can plug headphones in. Sarah's drum kit idea sounds a bit noisy. :blink:

Sounds great! I don't have any certificates for music at all. I should practice more. I only do easy pop songs. But I can plug headphones in. Sarah's drum kit idea sounds a bit noisy. :blink:

As long as you enjoy it!

If do take it, it'll be the first exam since about 1960 - eek! - when I did grade 2. I only thought of it at all because I found on YouTube a G5 piece* I really loved, so I had to get the exam book in order to play it. Then found that there were 2 other exam pieces that were not too daunting - and that I liked enough to bother with.

Perishing scales are the biggest hurdle - if I do ever summon up the nerve. Still,I have all next year, and I do work better with a goal, otherwise I'm grasshoppering all over the place and never getting anything halfway perfect.

*Am Abend played by emusicmaestro if anyone's remotely interested. There are other versions but his is IMO easily the best.

As long as you enjoy it!

School put me off music, by playing this far too many times, like we were weren't allowed proper music. :blink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_and_the_Wolf

Pity really, as my uncle was an accomplished pianist, and only lived round the corner. I could have had free lessons.

Who's with me?

I am.

In fact I'm gonna go one better. I'm going to try and go a whole month without HPC or Facebook, and I'm going to disable Safari on my iPhone. I waste far, far too much of my life procrastinating on the internet in general, starting from the second I wake up and open my smartphone.

I can't seem to handle it 'in moderation'. So I'm going to go cold turkey. See you all in December, when I will have started that business I always wanted to start, will have found the love of my life, and will have bought a house.

A whole lot of ambition there Joe.

I agree, the internet can be a complete waste of time, but so am I, so it suits me. I wouldn't be posting during weekdays if I was working.

I am.

In fact I'm gonna go one better. I'm going to try and go a whole month without HPC or Facebook, and I'm going to disable Safari on my iPhone. I waste far, far too much of my life procrastinating on the internet in general, starting from the second I wake up and open my smartphone.

I can't seem to handle it 'in moderation'. So I'm going to go cold turkey. See you all in December, when I will have started that business I always wanted to start, will have found the love of my life, and will have bought a house.

Good man Joe. Compare notes in December. I'm outta here at midnight tonight.