House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SirGaz

Ordering Beer (And Spirits) From Another Eu Country.

I am trying to order some German beer online for myself and a couple of mates in time for Christmas.

About three years ago I ordered 400 Euro's worth from this site : Site address removed (if you want it pm me)

Now they are requiring a valid V.A.T registration number and a cover letter stating that I am not going to use the beer for my own personal use. (How they can stop the company director (me) giving the companies most valued employee (me) a Christmas present I don't know)

I can find nothing online about any changes to the vat and tax liabilities in the last three years so are they just being over cautious?

I was under the impression that as long as local VAT is paid then nothing would be due to HMRC.

There are a few other German sites that say they will deliver to the UK but I have a friend who only wants Warsteiner and I cannot find it on any of the other web sites I have found.

I should add that if you have partaken of the German beer than Carling most certainly won't do, and you if you haven't then you really should try Augustiner edelstoff.

Thanks for the links, but they are all twice the price.

Even with shipping Warsteiner or Augustiner works out at about £1.60 odd for a 500ml bottle.

It could just be Germans being Germans.

I worked for a German-owned company who were not VAT registered because the level of recovery on the inputs was so low that it wasn't worth claiming it.

However for the German head office tax expert everybody had to have a VAT number because, over there, it seemed to be the rules.

After explaining at length several times we accepted that he wouldn't leave us alone without a VAT number. So we made one up which he could write in his box and he didn't trouble us again.

Can't you buy warsteiner in Aldi? I'm sure I saw it somewhere last week.

I keep meaning to buy some Schlenkerla online, but I never get around to it. Doesn't travel well either apparently.

It could just be Germans being Germans.

I worked for a German-owned company who were not VAT registered because the level of recovery on the inputs was so low that it wasn't worth claiming it.

However for the German head office tax expert everybody had to have a VAT number because, over there, it seemed to be the rules.

After explaining at length several times we accepted that he wouldn't leave us alone without a VAT number. So we made one up which he could write in his box and he didn't trouble us again.

Yup box ticking it must be ticked becaues it`s there, to the OP just make one up ,the chances are they are more of a wholesale business than retail, going on the difference in price you have alluded to

I have a valid VAT number as I have my own ltd company as a contractor so that bit is covered.

I was just puzzled as to why, after having ordered from them before, I was now being asked to jump through so many hoops and they keep insisting that I should be a company and not an individual.

I have a valid VAT number as I have my own ltd company as a contractor so that bit is covered.

I was just puzzled as to why, after having ordered from them before, I was now being asked to jump through so many hoops and they keep insisting that I should be a company and not an individual.

In chorus "We are all individuals"! :blink:

Some tax rules that they were getting chased up over? Is that the reason they were cheap?

I don't know whether they cleared my account or whether their website has just been playing up but I have just managed to order 120 bottles of beer.

Including delivery it works out at £1.40 per 500ml bottle, quite a saving over the UK prices.

In an effort not to look like I am trying to drum up business for this company I will remove any reference to them from the OP.

I am trying to order some German beer online for myself and a couple of mates in time for Christmas.

About three years ago I ordered 400 Euro's worth from this site : Site address removed (if you want it pm me)

Now they are requiring a valid V.A.T registration number and a cover letter stating that I am not going to use the beer for my own personal use. (How they can stop the company director (me) giving the companies most valued employee (me) a Christmas present I don't know)

I can find nothing online about any changes to the vat and tax liabilities in the last three years so are they just being over cautious?

I was under the impression that as long as local VAT is paid then nothing would be due to HMRC.

There are a few other German sites that say they will deliver to the UK but I have a friend who only wants Warsteiner and I cannot find it on any of the other web sites I have found.

I should add that if you have partaken of the German beer than Carling most certainly won't do, and you if you haven't then you really should try Augustiner edelstoff.

It may be that they're not paying local VAT.

Nice find!

The warsteiner isn't for me though, I prefer the Augustiner.

It seems I counted my chickens early, they just sent me this message:

Because of the applicable tax legislation, shipping to Great Britain is only for companies and trade (reseller) with a valid VAT identification number admissible.

We apologize for any inconvenience .

Please let us know if you have a valid VAT identification number.

Otherwise we have to cancel this order.

I am paying German VAT on the order, its 19%.

I have just replied to them that they have all my details so hopefully the order should go through now.

The reason I started this topic was to see if anyone else had found any issues like this or if there actually is some legislation preventing the personal import of EU alcohol.

Nice find!

It seems I counted my chickens early, they just sent me this message:

Because of the applicable tax legislation, shipping to Great Britain is only for companies and trade (reseller) with a valid VAT identification number admissible.

We apologize for any inconvenience .

Please let us know if you have a valid VAT identification number.

Otherwise we have to cancel this order.

I am paying German VAT on the order, its 19%.

I have just replied to them that they have all my details so hopefully the order should go through now.

The reason I started this topic was to see if anyone else had found any issues like this or if there actually is some legislation preventing the personal import of EU alcohol.

Nice find!

Well I prefer John Smiths, so I'm not going to go through all of that again.

I like John smiths but only further north than Sheffield.

I shall pass on the warsteiner link and info to the warsteiner fan.

Thank you.

I did buy 24 bottles of beer from a local brewery in Coventry (Byatts brewery) a month ago and it was so good there is only two bottle left so I thought I'd get some German stuff in.

Well I prefer John Smiths, so I'm not going to go through all of that again.

Robinson's of Stockport! About the only thing they got right on t'wrong side o't Pennines! :wacko: