House Price Crash Forum

Shed For Sale In Someone's Back Garden For 150K In Somerset

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

So they cordoned off their garden....and sold their shed as a dwelling. Well, I wish the prospective buyers, the very best best of luck.

I hope the buyer will be a landlord, who lets it out to the worst tenants ever. It won't look so clever then!

Edited by 200p

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I looked around the masonic lodge in Shepton when it was up for sale. It was huge, very large hall room and a bar.

Too much work for me at the time but wonder what it ended up as. Was way under that price for a 20K log cabin.

Uenemployment may be low but local wages will be low with local youngsters having moved out for work.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I looked around the masonic lodge in Shepton when it was up for sale. It was huge, very large hall room and a bar.

Too much work for me at the time but wonder what it ended up as. Was way under that price for a 20K log cabin.

Uenemployment may be low but local wages will be low with local youngsters having moved out for work.

I know a number of people who've moved there, as perhaps one person works in Bristol, the other in Wells or Taunton...Admittedly, its probably more of a dormitory town, but it seems to be cheaper than say living in Wells, Street or Glastonbury..

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

is it really? Maybe my information is out of date from someone I know that lives there. There is little in terms of real jobs from what I know, unless you want to work in an outlet village type place. I thought it had huge youth employment but I guess I'm comparing it to London and the south east.

http://www.somersetintelligence.org.uk/economy-and-jobs.htm

I was looking at old figures...JSA claimant count for Somerset is averaging at 1.1%...I think the national is 5.7%... There's huge investment going into Somerset...for instance, go into Bridgy (if you have to :))...totally unrecognisable from 10 years ago...

Big defence base (I worked for a related multinational for a few years)...Somerset is probably one of the few booming areas of the country (which is not based purely on financial services)...Hinckley Point will probably bring a few thousand more jobs...and not just for the construction phase either...Just waiting for the A303 upgrade...

Edited by Dave Beans

HOLA4412

what was this lodge?

I don't remember the frontage being like this but think this is it but was a hell of a long time ago, poss 2002 ish. Split into multiple rooms would make sense and was central to Shepton.

http://www.accommodation-bandb.co.uk/The-Old-Masonic-Lodge-Somerset-bed-and-breakfast.php

http://www.accommodation-bandb.co.uk/West-Country-bed-and-breakfast.php

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

HAHHAHAHA!!!!

Its a wendy house!

Now im not the most self concious person around...my car has more dents than I can count, and I probably have looked quite trampy on quite a few occasions when I can't be bothered...but I would be ashamed and embarrased to bring friends or family over to show them my new 'house' if that was it.

OK people are desperate, but I'd rather live in the back of a van than a shed in a complete strangers garden...at least in a van you can pretend its a 'lifestyle choice', new age traveller or something.

HOLA4415

I would check* what part of the garden you own (if any), and then put a 6 foot fence up. What if the owner of the garden was a real **** and one day started charging for access to the log cabin? And guess what, people are real ****s when it comes to property rights!

*WTF - are YOU really considering buying this?

Edited by 200p

HOLA4416

If it is this one, you have to walk on their land

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.184625,-2.5481013,3a,23.9y,98.85h,83.21t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTn0Sm0QnAzdAxncBTtsG2g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB

This is the conversation you would have, on your first day walking towards the log cabin:

Hello Mr Jones, I live in the car! I paid £50,000!

Hello Mr Jones, I live in the bin! I paid £10,000!

Hello Mr Jones, I live in the caravan! I paid £125,000!

Edited by 200p