House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Police To Get Powers To View Your Pron History

My reading of it is that they needed a warrant and a good reason to do this beforehand but now if it's raining and they want a coffee they can look at what their neighbours have been viewing on the internet for a laugh.

All you will find is policemen in suspenders with a truncheon up their ar$e!

Don't forget they made the fisting stuff illegal... Not that I am accusing any of you!

What about the John Lewis website? Im a persistent offender.....

I wonder if this was ever discussed with Internet Service Providers. The cost to implement this kind of logging is going to be immense. The database created will be absolutely enormous. Every web page access from every customer for a year.

And my "ISP" - EE 4G - has no idea what web pages I look at, since our connection is routed via a VPN. For those not into tech, essentially, the data runs down a "private tunnel" inside the internet connection and because it is encrypted the ISP gets no data about what it is that I am doing with the connection.

For May to get what she wants, the definition of "ISP" will need to be extended to "VPN provider".

My one happens to be UK based, but, many are not.

It will therefore be necessary to either ban VPNs completely (best of luck with that, and it would break business connectivity for many companies) or to have some sort of licencing scheme so you have to be approved to use one.

The idea is so ill-thought out that anyone in IT could have told her that it is not workable.

Under the plans, telecoms and internet service providers would be paid to log their customers’ emails, internet use and other correspondence so it could be easily searched by security officials.

Though based on Mark's comment the bill will be higher than Theresa May thinks.

The whole history of everybody's internet use will fill a disk farm bigger than Mars! :blink:

I wonder if this was ever discussed with Internet Service Providers. The cost to implement this kind of logging is going to be immense. The database created will be absolutely enormous. Every web page access from every customer for a year.

And my "ISP" - EE 4G - has no idea what web pages I look at, since our connection is routed via a VPN. For those not into tech, essentially, the data runs down a "private tunnel" inside the internet connection and because it is encrypted the ISP gets no data about what it is that I am doing with the connection.

For May to get what she wants, the definition of "ISP" will need to be extended to "VPN provider".

My one happens to be UK based, but, many are not.

It will therefore be necessary to either ban VPNs completely (best of luck with that, and it would break business connectivity for many companies) or to have some sort of licencing scheme so you have to be approved to use one.

The idea is so ill-thought out that anyone in IT could have told her that it is not workable.

Exactly. Whenever anything remotely computer related comes up, and particularly re. the internet, we find out quite how far behind the curve our legislators are.

[or, perhaps, this is only so that the ignorant part of the public ('something must be done!") can feel that something is being done, and that the details are not important].

Though based on Mark's comment the bill will be higher than Theresa May thinks.

'Paid' for storing the data? That wouldn't be paid with tax payer money would it? So people paying their own money to allow the Police to spy on them? lol?

If you then consider that the requirement to store the customers' data may be enforced by law, then the ISP would need to also take offsite backups of a massive database to avoid being prosecuted in the event of disk failure, so keeping two copies.

If you really want to be anonymous, you'd probably be best to take out a cheap server in a foreign data centre providing false details, pay using false details, and create your own VPN service on it.

Though this would slow your internet connection to a relative crawl thanks to the round-trip times of the data going literally "half way around the world".

The whole history of everybody's internet use will fill a disk farm bigger than Mars! :blink:

And generally would be about as interesting.

Surely taking it to its logical conclusion with the extent that things are illegal these days they may as well just lock up everybody the moment they sign a broadband contract, and you end up with the whole country having a criminal record and the politicians will then be happy as they can control everybody - "Do you know what webage they once looked at in 2015?".

1970s, 80s, and 90s Page 3 photos of when the girls under 18, anybody who has clicked form a news site to watch one of those ISIS beheadings (I certianly haven't, but I get the impression that a lot of people do), posting a comment that dares to criticise muslims on any board anywhere, how to make a homemade bomb (you may have a look out of interest), it goes on.

"Spying", if that is the word, should be targeted, and not "try to catch all". We know really who might be "up to something". Why not watch them. My neighbour's grocery bill is of no use to anyone! :blink:

"Spying", if that is the word, should be targeted, and not "try to catch all". We know really who might be "up to something". Why not watch them. My neighbour's grocery bill is of no use to anyone! :blink:

It is of use to the supermarket he visits hence the clubcard so they can do targeted advertising and discounts and keep him shopping there. It could then be of use to the NHS who would know whether he was buying booze, fags and unhealthy food and so put him to the bottom of the list if he needs surgery for which any of these may be a contributory factor.

I am astounded how much free data people give away, and the aim for a "cashless society" is so that everything you expend is tracked and can then be sold to advertisers.

Interent tracking then gives a picture of your interests, your relationships, your intellectual level.

Basically give all that way and, allowing for the imperfectness of human memory, there will be databases out there that know more about you and your history than you do yourself. Which I find horrible.

The other use for this internet tracking will be, if you remember, the BBC licence review being underway to "close the loophole" for watch again. Now this could easily be closed by giving every licence fee holder a password / userid for iPlayer but based on the TV model it will be extended to watching anything (4OD, ITV player) so all homes without licences will then have their interent use monitored to see if they use any of those; and then they will be fined. Which just leaves Youtube.

I used to use the "if you have nothing to hide" argument but these days I am very much on the "why the hell do you need to know that?" side.

I have gone tinfoil for the contactless cards in my wallet. Maybe it's time to go the whole hog.