House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

olde guto

Trick Or Treat - Demanding With Menaces?

Just seen a feature on Halloween as another money spinner and being a miserable olde guto who can remember Halloween as it used to be. It got me thinking about the growth of Halloween in the past 10/15 years and that of trick or treating, and it occurred to me it's nothing more than demanding with menaces (as opposed to guising where kids would have to do a turn to get a few pennies). Where in "nicer" suburbs parents go around with children doing trick or treat, telling them it's ok to just knock on someone's door and just demand stuff or else.

Has the growth almost become a metaphor for Britain in the 21st Century, various people knocking on the door of the tax payer and demanding money because, just because? Or demanding action for some "mis-selling scandal" or another and getting vocal and irate if denied.

Now then, now then, I'm off to prepare my Jimmy Savile costume, let them knock on my door, uuuuhhhh ;)

Bobbing for apples, bonfires and ghost stories were great, sometimes at home, sometimes bigger parties. It was a special night without any of the excesses of Christmas. Shame that it's no longer that.

I'm not angry about what it is now as I am mostly unaffected. But I do think it's yet another rubbish consumerist festival. Valentine's Day has already gone the same way in the States, maybe that's started here too.

What child in their right mind would knock on my door? :unsure:

Nobody ever knocks on my door.

Are you in "solitary" again? ^_^

Guest eight

I ask my neighbours if it is OK for us to knock on their door, most are agreeable.

Do you knock on their door to do this?

We never answer our door to anybody. Charity chuggers, religious nutters, bailiffs, all ignored. Actually especially the last one, as last week EDF sent somebody out to cut our electricity off, despite us being in credit.

Expecting none this year. No children in the row I live in and I can't see them venturing out from wherever they do live to get there. I'm surprised I never had any knocking on the door where I used to live (ordinary bland modern housing estate).

There's a sort of convention round here that you only trick or treat at houses displaying a pumpkin outside. It's about one house in three. The kids love it and it only happens for a couple of hours one night a year. Unlike noisy fireworks going off randomly through the night for several weeks.

There's a sort of convention round here that you only trick or treat at houses displaying a pumpkin outside. It's about one house in three. The kids love it and it only happens for a couple of hours one night a year. Unlike noisy fireworks going off randomly through the night for several weeks.

That sounds like a good scheme Mr Tripod.

There's a poster some of the papers do to say whether you want TorT or not.

I was thinking of making the kids paper booklets (Colour cover, saddle stitch, about 8 pages) and asking them to write a story and bring it back by Bonfire night to win a prize.

Him indoors thinks I'll just get us egged. They want sugar!

I found that series too uncomfortable to watch. It's the non-softened version of what Alan Partridge / Borat / Ricky Gervais do, the comedy of awkwardness and embarrassment. I can see how good it is but it makes me squirm.

I found that series too uncomfortable to watch. It's the non-softened version of what Alan Partridge / Borat / Ricky Gervais do, the comedy of awkwardness and embarrassment. I can see how good it is but it makes me squirm.

Frank. I find it funny, as he is just like me, except I am not quite that bald! :rolleyes:

Except he pre-dates all 3 of those. Larry David has to be one of the most influential comedians alive. Everything Ricky Gervais does is a rip off of something Larry David has done.

There are so many great scenes in curb, mainly when he's breaking with social convention, but is absolutely in the right.

Except he pre-dates all 3 of those. Larry David has to be one of the most influential comedians alive. Everything Ricky Gervais does is a rip off of something Larry David has done.

There are so many great scenes in curb, mainly when he's breaking with social convention, but is absolutely in the right.

I wasn't suggesting that his comedy was derived from those, rather of the same type. IIRC Ricky Gervais has paid tribute to him.

You should really get strapped in and give it a go. Well worth it IMO. One of - if not - my favourite ever. And much of it adlib too.

My sig even has an adlib quote from the show in it. :D

There's a poster some of the papers do to say whether you want TorT or not.

I was thinking of making the kids paper booklets (Colour cover, saddle stitch, about 8 pages) and asking them to write a story and bring it back by Bonfire night to win a prize.

Him indoors thinks I'll just get us egged. They want sugar!

Open the door - then ask them for money - and if they so no - egg them.

A bit of karma never done anyone harm. Well depending on how big the eggs are.

Open the door - then ask them for money - and if they so no - egg them.

A bit of karma never done anyone harm. Well depending on how big the eggs are.

I'd bet you would steal their "transformer" or "hello kitty" sandwich boxes, and boil them for fishing bait! Not my idea BTW, and I never said it! :blink:

I'd bet you would steal their "transformer" or "hello kitty" sandwich boxes, and boil them for fishing bait! Not my idea BTW, and I never said it! :blink:

I would steal their sweets. And tell them I was doing them and their pancreas a favour.

Mr Pin in action, tbh I just try and be out or pretend to be.

One of my mates thinks the character is based on me! :blink: