House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrPin

Mrpin's Strange Birthday Present!

Today, being my birthday, along with Winona RIder, and Josef Goebbles, I have taken delivery of a piano! It's a bit big for my front room! It's electric, so I am not frightened of it being winched, and it won't go out of tune, like the mechanical ones I am so keen on destroying!

Happy birthday, Pinny!

Enjoy the piano - I hope you don't annoy the neighbours - do you use headphones?

I love music Bossy, and I make Chaz'n'Dave sound like Mozart! No I do not use headphones. I have a 500 Watt PA and two 4x12 speaker cabs! :blink:

I bought an electric piano and have failed to be able to play more than a little bit of very simple stuff. Perhaps I should get lessons instead of trying to work it out myself, but I figure that hunting around for the right note and counting notes on the staves will eventually give way to being able to play the thing if I try more often. Worked with typing.

I think people ought to try a bit of music. Old pianos are cheaper than chips, but I don't think you should get a mechanical one without a good pedigree. Electric ones are usually OK, and don't go off tune. If you can't tell whether it is off tune, you should not try the piano, or anything musical really

Oh it's not the Internet's birthday as well! :blink:

I bought an electric piano and have failed to be able to play more than a little bit of very simple stuff. Perhaps I should get lessons instead of trying to work it out myself, but I figure that hunting around for the right note and counting notes on the staves will eventually give way to being able to play the thing if I try more often. Worked with typing.

Have you got a good teach-yourself book? I went back to the piano 3 years ago after too many decades to mention here, and I'd only ever passed grade 2 so it was more or less starting again from scratch. I used the Carol Barratt adult beginners' books (classical so would not suit anyone preferring popular or jazz) ) and found them very good. However on a music forum I have seen piano teachers recommending Accelerated Piano Adventures for adult beginners, or the Alfred course.

PS - Happy Birthday Mr Pin! Would offer you a couple of the fairy cakes I made this morning for a guest with 2 kids who was supposed to be coming for lunch, but hasn't turned up yet. Have a feeling she's forgotten! Cakes have hundreds and thousands on top - same as I used to make for kids' birthday parties.

I got a couple of books but then pretty much ignored them and tried seeing where I'd get from dimly-remembered music reading schools (harking back to primary school recorder lessons - funny how it remains there in the memory!)

Using the books sounds like self-discipline is required (which of course it is to actually achieve anything). However since I forked out for the thing I should probably take it a bit more seriously; I like what little I have managed to play so hopefully the promise of the end result will be enough to get me through the tedious bits.

PS - Happy Birthday Mr Pin! Would offer you a couple of the fairy cakes I made this morning for a guest with 2 kids who was supposed to be coming for lunch, but hasn't turned up yet. Have a feeling she's forgotten! Cakes have hundreds and thousands on top - same as I used to make for kids' birthday parties.

I don't know what you are suggesting! :o

All instruments take a bit of time! There is a hill, but once you are over it, you can probable play most things pretty OK.

When I get gainful employment, I'm trying a saxophone! :wacko:

Happy birthday Pinny. Please upload 'twinkle twinkle' as soon as you can manage it :)

I'm a bit better than that, but no Rachmaninov! :blink: I'm a guitarist really! :wacko:

In that case, next time you're in the land of Lichfield, let me know and we can jam :)

I never go that far North! I'm frightened of blue zombies beyond the Wall!

I've never been a stage musician, with a spiky guitar, and socks stuffed down my spandex pants!

Happy birthday.....Mr Scorpion. ;)

Indeed! Although I do not believe in Astrology, I've noticed Scorpios do not have any friends! :blink:

Happy Birthday Mr Pin !

Don`t say you`re 58?

58 it is! I wasn't looking forward to it! I wanted to be 35 again. Still I now have a new piano. It's bigger than a ukulele, and I can't really get it on the bus!

Got a sting in their tails apparently. ;)

I was watching scorpions in a desert once. My colleague stamped on them all, and told me they were "dangerous"! I believe I am closer to "enlightenment" than he was! :blink:

Yes I`m a scorpion too. I`m on the cusp of total ********....

And I know what you mean about scorpions having no friends. It`s like "How`s it g.....oh...sorry about that"

Yes I`m a scorpion too. I`m on the cusp of total ********....

And I know what you mean about scorpions having no friends. It`s like "How`s it g.....oh...sorry about that"

I need no friends, but somehow I have acquired a few! ;)