House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Catch22

Working Lunch Gordon Brown Ftb'ers On Now

Someone was also talking about the large amount of money being made in the Middle East thanks to high oil prices at the moment. Rumour has it some of that's heading into London/UK property, though he did say he thought most of the money would be invested in Asia (more potential for growth I imagine?) rather than here.

However given the huge amounts of money we're talking about, that's not exactly welcome news. Maybe that's where Inside Track are getting all their customers from these days? :-)

Andrew McP

Ahha.. the rich man will rescue us scenario..

Yup.. he will..

Okay..

The programme itself was a VI estate agent..

"Housing shortage.. untill more are built prices won't come down... we need more houses."

Do we?

Well sell the ones you have already... idiot...

There is no more a housing shortage now then there was when houses were cheap, when they were expensive.. when they were cheap..

We are building more now.. the population is shrinking..

And the BBC blows more smoke up everyones bottoms..

Lying idiots..

Lol..

fewer sold then anytime in the last 30 years.

sorry madge, off to lunch for me. mmm, fish and chips...

Didn't miss much RichM, it was on about the "key worker" scheme, a single nurse in the Cotswolds bought 2 bed house cost 205K [i think] But only had to come up with 70% of price [143.5K]

If she sells she has to give the distric council 30% of any gain [ no mention of if she sells and it's overall value falls]

A 61.5K subsidy using tax payer money, but at the exclusion of a simlare wage earning but non government employed taxpayers.

Discuss ? :ph34r:

Edit: Never got a read receipt for the email I sent them, it does not mean they did not receive it, there again they may have a filter that blocks mail with executable web links in it. In anycase I suspect this program was made before I sent that email.

And as already mentioned by apom, what with the inference regards Middle Eastern investment in the London property market, and no consideration given to a "what if" prices drop in the featured program. Plus the EA infering house prices will go up because there's a shortage of them, yep the usual subliminal "Perception Management " techniques are alive and well at The BBC........nobody actualy said prices were going up, but anybody watching that feature would come away with the impression prices are and can only go up.

Edited by Catch22

Good, the fish and chips were great :)

Working lunch I have some respect for. They did do that great special programme earlier in the year about a possible HPC. Like the Independent and the Mail/Express, they've all have their fingers burnt by calling a crash early. WL should have the balls to stick to their guns though. Things haven't fundamentally changed in the last year - except that we've collectively run up another 100 billion of personal debt :o

Didn't miss much RichM, it was on about the "key worker" scheme, a single nurse in the Cotswolds bought 2 bed house cost 205K [i think] But only had to come up with 70% of price [143.5K]

If she sells she has to give the distric council 30% of any gain [ no mention of if she sells and it's overall value falls]

A 61.5K subsidy using tax payer money, but at the exclusion of a simlare wage earning but non government employed taxpayers.

Discuss ? :ph34r:

My wife will be eligable for this soon. Great scheme if you can get it. We (wife pressure mainly) need to buy and this an excelent cushion against NE. If it rellay looks like HP's are going up again, we'll just extend the mortgage a bit and pay back the councils part. If HP's are going down (which I suspect the will) then they can have 25% of my NE. Also the 25% lower interest payments save a huge amount on their own.

The keyworker scheme will actually push up and support prices futher, and houseprices will rise futher.

Politically whats really going on?

Who are 'keyworkers'? And whats the government speak of 'helping them' all about.

Keyworkers is a sham phrase - it really represent groups of workers with powerful UNIONS.

I dont see many essentail workers classed as 'keyworkers' other than police, firemen, nurses, teachers etc..!

So in terms of politics, the government keyworker subsidies are really only a way of preventing much higher real living costs affecting these workers who have powerful unions.

As the scheme takes off, the rest of us get per capita poorer in real terms as these real living costs rise even further.

The answer of course is to unionise yourself, instead of waiting for this tragic belief in a houseprice crash that will never come, demand action. This government backs down within 2 days to unions.

My wife will be eligable for this soon. Great scheme if you can get it. We (wife pressure mainly) need to buy and this an excelent cushion against NE. If it rellay looks like HP's are going up again, we'll just extend the mortgage a bit and pay back the councils part. If HP's are going down (which I suspect the will) then they can have 25% of my NE. Also the 25% lower interest payments save a huge amount on their own.

I think this key worker scheme stinks, it gives a house purchasing advantage to one section of the electorate based on nothing more than the subsidised participents are public sector workers.

I suspect brainclamp is pushing the unionize arguement because he/she is a union person. But with the greatest respect I think the unionize bit is a red herring...public sector employment is the key, as it is with government bankrolled Index Linked Pensions.

That said I can fully understand mercenarul and his wife taking advantage of the scheme, not to do so would mean they were being fiscaly imprudent.. They did not set the policy that helps support a "housing bubble" and as such there should be no blame levelled at them for taking advantage of the policy.

I think this key worker scheme stinks, it gives a house purchasing advantage to one section of the electorate based on nothing more than the subsidised participents are public sector workers.

I dont know about other employees who are eligabe, but where my wife works, as a social worker, they have huge problems with staff retention because people go and work in the private sector where stress is lower and pay better. It is not as you say giving house purchase advantage to one sector of the electorate.

IT IS SIMPLY SUPPLY AND DEMAND.

In fact, when the electronics industry was booming a few years ago, I was being offered massive relocation/ house purchase incentives by employers because they could not get staff that they wanted. At the time, my wife had nothing like that.

Its nothing to do with being unfare or favouring public sector workers who do not deserve it. It is actually needed.

However what gets me is several people I know who earn good salaries and pay a pittance in rent for a council house while I have to pay a huge ammount more for the same thing. They do not actually need a council house. Sure, at one time they did, but that was years ago. The rest of us are going to subsadise these people for the rest of their lives.

It is not as you say giving house purchase advantage to one sector of the electorate.

In fact, when the electronics industry was booming a few years ago, I was being offered massive relocation/ house purchase incentives by employers because they could not get staff that they wanted. At the time, my wife had nothing like that.

Its nothing to do with being unfare or favouring public sector workers who do not deserve it. It is actually needed.

Sorry to differ, you cite the electronics industry, any house purchase incentives were born by the company and therefore its shareholders. The Key worker scheme is paid for by the taxpayer, the government should not use taxpayers money to give an advantage to one set of workers at the expence of another set of workers. The Forces and the Police are a some what different case because their jobs dictate they are moved around alot.

If wages are not comparable for like for like work then the pay rates should rise. How would you like to have to earn your money in a freemarket competative enviroment, only to find out a house you contemplated buying was lost to you as somebody else out bid you because your government gave them a 60K bung.

When I was a sparky I worked at J&J dressings plant, a work mate went for a job as a sparky at the local hospital. It was a better hourly rate, in the meantime I left to set up my own business, he was straight back to J&J taking the job I vacated. In 5 weeks of employment he had changed three light bulds, it was doing his head in. Plus he said the shift sparkies used to take it in turns one staying back to cover while the rest were down the local pub. He said not only was he bored to death he could not afford all the drinking sessions.

No reason to disbeleive him, as the F-in -L was the engineer in charge of 4 small local hospitals. They closed all but one down, and opened a massive one in their place. And found the F-in-L a suited job in the new hospital but not in the management loop, out to grass basically. He was far from happy with the situation, but he said it was better than woking for a living. He said the waste was scandalous, what with managers empire building, and then rushing around to spend their budgets filling storerooms full of equipment they did not need before the cut of dates, to ensure the next years budgets were not cut. Nationalished industries by their very nature are based on flawed concepts of managemet. [ or they were the, but I doubt little has changed]

Edited by Catch22

It is not as you say giving house purchase advantage to one sector of the electorate.

Sorry to differ, you cite the electronics industry, any house purchase incentives were born by the company and therefore its shareholders. The Key worker scheme is paid for by the taxpayer, the government should not use taxpayers money to give an advantage to one set of workers at the expence of another set of workers. The Forces and the Police are a some what different case because their jobs dictate they are moved around alot.

If wages are not comparable for like for like work then the pay rates should rise. How would you like have to earn your money in a freemarket competitive enviroment, only to find out a house you contemplated buying was lost to you as somebody else out bid you because your government gave them a 60K bung.

Edited by Catch22