House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rantnrave

Land Reg Sep - Full Report

As promised, Land Registry have released the additonal price paid data:

This includes the Additional Price Paid Data transactions received at Land Registry from 14 October 2013 to 30 September 2015

if you download the YTD file for 2015, and also the historic 2013 and 2014 files, you can compare the existing and the new transactions by area. I took a look for London, and was surprised that BTL/other was less than 10% of total transactions over this period, though was quite a bit higher for some areas (eg Newham & Brent, and also the central London boroughs)

also looks like a rise in the BTL/other share of the total from November 2014 (is this when mortgage lending rules got tougher for non-BTL buyers?)

• category A: Standard Price Paid entry includes single residential property sold for full market value. Data available from 1 January 1995
  • category B: Additional Price Paid entry includes transfers under a power of sale (repossessions), buy-to-lets where they can be identified by a mortgage and transfers to non-private individuals. Data available from 14 October 2013

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/price-paid-data-downloads#additional-price-paid-data-historic-file

And here is the HMRC report too

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/469311/UK_Tables_Oct_2015__cir_.pdf

Ignoring the 'seasonally adjusted' crap:

"For September 2015, the number of non-adjusted residential transactions was around the same level as in August 2015. The number of non-adjusted residential transactions was 5.4% higher than in August 2014."

I've imported the latest data into https://houseprices.io/ and highlighted the new category B "Additional Price Paid" transactions (i.e. repossessions, transfers to companies and identifiable BTLs).

That's great thanks. Just doing some sort-copy comparing and it's definitely not all BTLs, but you've saved a lot of manual hassle.

Edit: Does the full historical dataset (95-15) only includes addtional price paid data from 13-15? It's not 100% clear from the LR site.

Edited by northshore

That`s great thanks ,one question though what are the meaning of the asterixis some have one some two some three on the highlighted additional Price Paid data

Also seeing a lot of strange ones like the one below would/could you shed any light on this ..mortgage value vs repossession sale price achieved at auction perhaps ? backward flipper on the loose ?

£8k loss in three days ?

Registered sales: Date Price Nominal
change Real
change 22 Jun 2015 £122,000 -6.2% -6.2% 19 Jun 2015 £130,000 * 18.2% -9.4% 28 Jul 2006 £110,000 57.1% 41.1% 08 Nov 2002 £70,000 n/a n/a

• * Additional price paid transactio
Edited by long time lurking

Aren't these £40 million for a 3 bed semi in Hayes off-shore money laundering deals massively skewing the data?

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/registry

That`s interesting but this part jumps out

Using Land Registry data released under Freedom of Information laws, and then linking more than 100,000 land title register entries to specific addresses, the Eye has tracked all leasehold and freehold interests acquired by offshore companies between 2005 and 2014.

So if they have this data going back to 2005 i would guess they would have "additional price paid data " for this period too as the transactions highlited in the private eye article would be part of the additional price paid data set remit, yet the land registry is only publishing data from 10/ 2013 to current date

That's great thanks. Just doing some sort-copy comparing and it's definitely not all BTLs, but you've saved a lot of manual hassle.

Edit: Does the full historical dataset (95-15) only includes addtional price paid data from 13-15? It's not 100% clear from the LR site.

As I understand it the new data set is everything in that category which was received by the Land Registry from 14 October 2013 onwards, regardless of the actual transaction date. So there are about 5 to 6 thousand records a month since October 2013, about 2000 for September 2013, 800 for August 2013 and it continues to tail off like that, including a few stragglers going back to 1995.

That`s great thanks ,one question though what are the meaning of the asterixis some have one some two some three on the highlighted additional Price Paid data

Also seeing a lot of strange ones like the one below would/could you shed any light on this ..mortgage value vs repossession sale price achieved at auction perhaps ? backward flipper on the loose ?

£8k loss in three days ?

There are a few attributes such as freehold/leasehold, new build yes/no, and now standard/additional, which are associated with each transaction, but I'm displaying them alongside the property as a whole, taking the values from the most recent transaction. Where one of more of these attributes differs for any of the other transactions, asterisks are used to indicate the difference, referencing a legend below. This made more sense when there was so little data that such exceptions were very rare but it could possibly do with a rethink now.

Yes, the new data has thrown up some unusual quick succession transactions like that. So in your example it was a category B sale on the 19th and a normal sale for 8k less three days later. I'm thinking maybe a repossession and a quick offload at a loss?

As I understand it the new data set is everything in that category which was received by the Land Registry from 14 October 2013 onwards, regardless of the actual transaction date. So there are about 5 to 6 thousand records a month since October 2013, about 2000 for September 2013, 800 for August 2013 and it continues to tail off like that, including a few stragglers going back to 1995.

There are a few attributes such as freehold/leasehold, new build yes/no, and now standard/additional, which are associated with each transaction, but I'm displaying them alongside the property as a whole, taking the values from the most recent transaction. Where one of more of these attributes differs for any of the other transactions, asterisks are used to indicate the difference, referencing a legend below. This made more sense when there was so little data that such exceptions were very rare but it could possibly do with a rethink now.

Yes, the new data has thrown up some unusual quick succession transactions like that. So in your example it was a category B sale on the 19th and a normal sale for 8k less three days later. I'm thinking maybe a repossession and a quick offload to a mate?

corrected that for you

Yes, the new data has thrown up some unusual quick succession transactions like that. So in your example it was a category B sale on the 19th and a normal sale for 8k less three days later. I'm thinking maybe a repossession and a quick offload at a loss?

Cheers,as for the quick sales at a loss there seams to be quite a few some with quite large losses 10-20%

It`s only anecdotal but the one i posted was a repossession (i know the place) and IIRC the advertised forsale price was around the 130K mark when it sold

corrected that for you

Must be a good mate to sell it to them for £8k less than you paid for it three days earlier or is there a scam i`m not aware of ?

As for the (EA`s) mate bit i can see a few in this new data set that has more than a whiff of that ....never seen them on the market and sold for seemingly low/very low prices, also found a look at me type OO living in their home which has a BTL mortgage on it

Must be a good mate to sell it to them for £8k less than you paid for it three days earlier or is there a scam i`m not aware of ?

As for the (EA`s) mate bit i can see a few in this new data set that has more than a whiff of that ....never seen them on the market and sold for seemingly low/very low prices, also found a look at me type OO living in their home which has a BTL mortgage on it

Not necessarily the person making the decision that is carrying the loss

Bank employee in the repossessions department and her mate for instance. The £8k is the bank's and her mate drops her a handbag on the back of the deal too.

Not necessarily the person making the decision that is carrying the loss

Bank employee in the repossessions department and her mate for instance. The £8k is the bank's and her mate drops her a handbag on the back of the deal too.

So who would the £130k sale that's registered on the 19/6 be registered to ? as the place was sold to the "mate " on the 22/6 for £122k

I`m guessing here but i think these anomalies on the LR are something to do with the bank registering a transfer from the mortgagee to the mortgagor due to repossession then the repossession sale all registered with the land registry around the time of the of the repossession sale