House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Ad Men Are Suffering ‘Crisis Of Confidence’

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/ad-men-are-suffering-crisis-of-confidence-wpps-sir-martin-sorrell-warns-a6709981.html

WPP’s boss Sir Martin Sorrell has warned that chief executives are suffering a crisis of confidence over everything from deflation to fears of war, threatening to put the brakes on corporate spending.

WPP, which started life making wire shopping baskets, is now the world’s biggest ad company; Sir Martin is gaining a reputation in the City for making predictions about the corporate world.

Sir Martin said lower levels of global growth – which are forecast to grow at around 3 per cent over the long term – combined with heightened deflation risk is forcing executives to slash costs. He added that the situation unlikely to improve before the end of next year. “Worldwide, GDP is under pressure and forecasts have been slowing,” he said. “The US continues to be strong but its recovery is patchy.”

WPP reported solid third-quarter like-for-like net sales growth of 3.3 per cent on a constant currency basis. Its operating profit margin – income divided by revenues – rose to 0.5 per cent on a constant currency basis, above the long-term target of 0.3 per cent for the full year. Overall reported third-quarter revenue rose 5.9 per cent to £2.9bn compared with the previous year. Share buybacks rose to £588m from £499m in the previous period last year.

One weak spot was the UK, where like-for-like sales growth was 1.1 per cent for the three months ending in September. Strong performance from continental Europe, led by Germany, cushioned the sluggishness.

Luckily the consumer is flush with cash and can take on more debt to rescue the economy.

People are bombarded with ads...they no longer see it or believe any of it.....brands have had their day.....would believe a friend or a neighbour more than some huge advertising campaign trying to sell something or other......the cost of the advertising is only added to the price, we all who buy it indirectly pay for it, but it does not make it better or good....believe it believe anything, some people are easily led......rant over.

Edited by winkie

I rarely watch telly anymore but if I do I always make sure to loudly verbally rebut all the adverts one by one.

Some of them baffle me and I'll just leave it to "not sure what that one is all about" but most of them I can nail and shout at the telly "no you don't" or "no thanks" or a sarcastic "I must buy your product when you put it like that".

Most advertising is extremely transparent and cynical when you step away from the consumer portal for a while.

i have ended up recording show i want and skipping through adverts on tv.

Also as an EX F1 i go out of my way not to buy anything thats sponsor and F1 team. If i cant watch it for free you cant have my money. simples. well done sky payperview be soon gone the same way as boxing

How it works.....need something, do your research.....ask about, check online, see what is local...can consider some product or service with a huge advertising budget trying hard to flog something knowingly know there might be a premium to the price to pay.....just because they say you want or need it doesn't mean you do.....different is better.

A lot of these replies assume that advertising is just the blatant stuff that you see on tv, press and online. A lot of the money spent these days about shaping the way the consumer feels about brands and products in a much more subtle way - and making sure that when you do your own research the product is visible and the message of how it fits your needs and budget is clearly spelt out.

A lot of these replies assume that advertising is just the blatant stuff that you see on tv, press and online. A lot of the money spent these days about shaping the way the consumer feels about brands and products in a much more subtle way - and making sure that when you do your own research the product is visible and the message of how it fits your needs and budget is clearly spelt out.

I would prefer to try something new, something made by a company have never heard of before......visit Europe or other places and try what they have on offer, wonder why we put up with so called branded inferior expensive products.......customer service and after sales service is as important as the product you buy.....we can all test that out before we buy with big ticket items.

We fall for creams with extract of this or that.....make you feel this or that....you are worth this or that.....so it goes on.

I have found adverts insufferable for years now. To the point where I often won't even bother to watch a show if it is on an advert channel (I just wait for iplayer or a DVD).

Adverts just break up TV and ruin the watching experience. And many people just won't put up with them anymore.

I never watch adverts, I mean never. I dont watch much but its all recorded. If I was desperate to watch something "live" I might wait until the prog is 15-20 mins in so that I could watch and skip adds while its still recording.

I would prefer to try something new, something made by a company have never heard of before......

And a lot of people do the opposite - given a choice between a known quantity and some name they've never heard of before they'll go for the former. I think that there may also be a perception (possibly true to a degree, in some places, possibly created by big companies) that for a lot of things it's simply not possible for a small company you've probably never heard of to have the resources to produce a decent product. When that's the case it can be easier to get your name known than to actually produce a quality product.

Advertising though is really starting to backfire thanks to it pushing itself too far and getting the responses that this thread have brought up.

Edited by Riedquat

But, but it's new, bigger, better and improved! Why aren't you all rushing out and queuing outside to buy, buy, buy!?

90% of people asked, liked us on Facebook! Follow us on Twitter.

Edited by 200p

The best has no need to advertise.....don't tell everyone, that will create a demand so either the price increases or it is bought out by some crap dice and splice conglomerate, all down hill from there on.....so then have to search out another gem of excellent, quality, service and value before the vultures attack.

Small is beautiful.....less is more.

The thing is... if you don't like an advert, think it is stupid, etc, then it is just not aimed at you. You can swear at the tv, proclaim to never purchase xyz again, think that the people who buy xyz must be stupid to support all that advertising in an increased store price - but it doesn't make any difference... for their target market the ads probably do work, and probably do result in increased sales compared with not advertising*.

It is sad but true, and you can't get away from it ever.

[the ad men probably gave up on you lot years ago - but remember that when you were 20 you probably were influenced by marketing, whether overt, or subtle product promotion in magazines, etc. The fact that you don't like advertising now isn't a reflection of ads getting worse; it is more a reflection of getting wiser (and probably a bit older...)]

*although that said, my uncle, who had quite a bit of success in advertising (you'll have seen some of his ads on TV in the 1990s) used to laugh and say it was all a con - that the greatest achievement of the marketing industry was convincing people that it actually made any difference...

All a con.......some of the claims are a con, they work on the sheeple concept that everyone else has it/ wants it.....you are weird if you don't buy it....you will be ostracised.... All the best buy it, your life will not be complete without it etc etc.....load of old manipulating rubbish of course.....thousands will buy it because they are told they should.....thousands more refuse to buy it because they are told they should.....

I simply cannot allow this thread on this forum to pass by without the following link. Take 31 seconds of your time, please. Ladies and gentlement, I bring you the advertising beauty that is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2PGeeGuQJc

Anything you think about this, I've already thought (even everything included in the inreference of the use and meaning of the song from Annie).

*shudder*

Lol the easyproperty.com ad is pure cheese. It is in similar vain to the moneysupermarket, dont ya wish your girlfriends hot like me, but it is a bloke walking down the street....

Edited by 200p

I can often remember the songs of ads but not the actual product. Ads do not work on me and never have and celebs promoting anything is a complete turnoff.

It's not only the ads (on the radio) but the irritating introducers infilling in music programmes and the oafs cutting tracks short as if the listener would be more interested in their voices rather than the music. It's more interesting spending time channel switching rather than listening to what they have say.

Edited by billybong

Having had a PVR since 2001, I've been doing that ever since then. No adverts are watched in this house. Virtually zero live TV is watched here, regardless of whether it's on the BBC or not - I watch what I want when I want, not when a scheduler tells me I should have my bum on a seat. The only live TV watched is some sport. The only adverts I see are those in the cinema. People at work talk about adverts and meerkats and things as if those gimmicks are cuddly old friends, and I blissfully have absolutely no idea what they are on about. What's interesting is that they actually seem annoyed that I don't know about those things - which I believe is projecting onto me their jealousy and reluctance to admit they they are wasting so much time obediently being part of a marketing machine.

I don't actively avoid things that are advertised on TV - because I don't know what is advertised on TV!

So, what took you so long? (only now "ended up", as if it was a long journey? maybe I read it wrong) :) I've had hundreds of hours of my life back thanks to not watching adverts.

Edited by mrtickle

[the ad men probably gave up on you lot years ago

I wish. If they'd given up they'd realise that trying to get around AdBlock is counter-productive. It just wastes everyone's time and bandwidth pushing adverts at people who'll react badly to them and installing it is a sure sign that you'll react badly to it (particularly if it's trying to get you to turn it off), so why even bother? I know the answer but like most "well that's how it works" type answers it leaves me more in contempt for the people peddling it than I had before. Edited by Riedquat