House Price Crash Forum

A Clarion Call From The Road Haulage Associatsion - Britain's Lorries Need You!

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

My chance to become a truck driver for real? £3k and you're in. Although I'm not sure how the network is functioning now if it's 45,000 drivers short.

Come on Mr Pin - lead the way and become the new Harry Monk!

RHA calls for £150m to tackle driver shortage

18 June 2015/Categories: CILT, Industry News, Supply Chain, Freight Forwarding

250250p6887EDNmain6612RHAcallsfor%C2%A31

The Road Haulage Association (RHA) has warned that a shortage of drivers threatens the economy of every region in the UK.

A plea has been delivered to prime minister David Cameron by the industry body, calling on the government to step in and commit funding to train more drivers.

Chief executive officer of the RHA Richard Burnett explained that he wants the Conservatives to act fast and pledge £150 million to driver training in chancellor George Osborne's July Budget statement.

The national driver shortage is estimated to be in the region of 45,000 - and the situation could deteriorate further, as 35,000 existing drivers are expected to retire within the next two years.

"The cost of training to be a truck driver is very high - typically some £3,000. This is a serious barrier for individuals wishing to train up," Mr Burnett commented, noting that this barrier could be removed with government funding.

https://www.ciltuk.org.uk/News/LatestNews/TabId/235/ArtMID/6887/ArticleID/6612/RHA-calls-for-163150m-to-tackle-driver-shortage.aspx

I know it's dated June but it's been on the local radio news several times today for some reason. I missed it the last time.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I actually looked at doing a HGV, in a period of unemployment where I had the money! I discovered there are a lot of out of work truck drivers, and it would not be a wise investment.

HOLA443

The thrust of the story was that there aren't a lot of unemployed truck drivers - very much the contrary.

The problem being not enough want to do it because of low wages and unsocial hours. But think of the Lexii (the Japanses Mercedes) you could buy.

HOLA444

The thrust of the story was that there aren't a lot of unemployed truck drivers - very much the contrary.

The problem being not enough want to do it because of low wages and unsocial hours. But think of the Lexii (the Japanses Mercedes) you could buy.

Frank! It's like the "shortage of Engineers". A myth, otherwise I would not be out of work currently!

HOLA445

I keep hearing about initiatives to get more women into engineering, and complaints about it being less respected here than in Germany, but I don't actually hear about shortages. Here's the list of the jobs most wanting people, and sure enough lorry driver is in there at 11, accountants at 17. Top ones are sales staff and nurses.

http://www.careerprofiles.info/careers-new-openings.html

They were talking about a shortage of paramedics yesterday and I do know somebody who started as a paramedic in his mid 40s after an office career; strangely thinking it would be less stressful. Well each to their own.

HOLA446

I keep hearing about initiatives to get more women into engineering, and complaints about it being less respected here than in Germany, but I don't actually hear about shortages. Here's the list of the jobs most wanting people, and sure enough lorry driver is in there at 11, accountants at 17. Top ones are sales staff and nurses.

http://www.careerprofiles.info/careers-new-openings.html

They were talking about a shortage of paramedics yesterday and I do know somebody who started as a paramedic in his mid 40s after an office career; strangely thinking it would be less stressful. Well each to their own.

We don't want women in engineering Frank! They will get everything wrong, like flanging a node incorrectly, and then make tea, and pretend to be cute.

You can't make people into engineers, any more you can make footballers!

Women I have met in engineering have been fine, and competent. But they wanted to be there, not by some PC scheme! :blink:

HOLA447

If haulage companies are experiencing a shortage then they should be getting people trained themselves instead of expecting someone else to pick up the tab for their industry-specific skills requirements. Sounds like another case of private industry wanting someone else to pay all their expenses.

HOLA448

If haulage companies are experiencing a shortage then they should be getting people trained themselves instead of expecting someone else to pick up the tab for their industry-specific skills requirements. Sounds like another case of private industry wanting someone else to pay all their expenses.

Indeed! +1

And I don't think there's a shortage of truckers. They are all on HPC OT.

HOLA449

We don't want women in engineering Frank! They will get everything wrong, like flanging a node incorrectly, and then make tea, and pretend to be cute.

You can't make people into engineers, any more you can make footballers!

Women I have met in engineering have been fine, and competent. But they wanted to be there, not by some PC scheme! :blink:

I think you can do both!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I think you can do both!

You have faith :blink: ! There are certain jobs some people aren't suited for, and football is one of mine! :huh:

HOLA4412

You have faith :blink: ! There are certain jobs some people aren't suited for, and football is one of mine! :huh:

Don Bradman, he of the marvellous batting, used to spend many hours every week as a child hitting a golf ball against a wall with a cricket stump. This gave him such good bat to ball skills that when it was a cricket bat and a ball he found it easy and people raved about his natural talent. Most of which he had built through sheer hard work.

There is of course natural talent, but that will only take you so far. Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale were both very good footballers who with ten years of supreme dedication have become the best in the world. Lionel Messi on the other hand does just seem to be a Jimmy Greaves-type immense natural talent for whom training is kick a few balls then go down the pub.

HOLA4413

I don't think we have a single real one anymore, all wannabees :(

I got my car licence before 2000, so I'm OK for 7.5 tonnes! I think you have to do an extra test now for over 3.5 T. But I've noticed every single truck I've hired is full of dents, so some people should not have a go in these! As they are bigger than a Clio.

HOLA4414

I got my car licence before 2000, so I'm OK for 7.5 tonnes! I think you have to do an extra test now for over 3.5 T. But I've noticed every single truck I've hired is full of dents, so some people should not have a go in these! As they are bigger than a Clio.

I must be as well then. But with my manouvering skills I would feature regularly on the local news (today, a lorry driver got stuck between two houses, today a lorry driver demolished a gate post).

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I must be as well then. But with my manouvering skills I would feature regularly on the local news (today, a lorry driver got stuck between two houses, today a lorry driver demolished a gate post).

I think you have to be careful, but they are not too difficult! Reversing is a bit painful, as you can't see out the back.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The RHA may want more drivers.

Do the drivers want more drivers though?

No. We all want to be in a job where there is a shortage so we can walk out of and into jobs at will and keep getting payrises.

But if they're not trained here then they will all come in from abroad where the training is unlikely to be as good.

HOLA4419

No. We all want to be in a job where there is a shortage so we can walk out of and into jobs at will and keep getting payrises.

But if they're not trained here then they will all come in from abroad where the training is unlikely to be as good.

Egyptian truck drivers fall into that category.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

He was banned after his lengthy "the day I killed a man" post. It was very odd, like he'd had a breakdown.

Who hasn't inadvertently killed somebody? :blink: I liked Harry and I hope he's OK!

HOLA4423

I see no shortage of bankers but then that is an industry that pays well.

The answer is in that statement right there.

I did the job for 25+ years made redundant in 2007 as a result of Morrisons buying out Safeway. I had enough and have not turned another truck wheel since. Very happy with what I do now, no getting up at stupid o'clock to go to work or working 13 - 14 hours shifts because some pratt couldn't drive properly on the M25.

I miss it not one little bit.

Part of the problem is around the compulsory written tests drivers now have to take every few years as part of EU legislation. Many older drivers have difficulty with literacy levels and decided to bin the job rather than soldier on.....

HOLA4424

I see no shortage of bankers but then that is an industry that pays well.

The answer is in that statement right there.

I did the job for 25+ years made redundant in 2007 as a result of Morrisons buying out Safeway. I had enough and have not turned another truck wheel since. Very happy with what I do now, no getting up at stupid o'clock to go to work or working 13 - 14 hours shifts because some pratt couldn't drive properly on the M25.

I miss it not one little bit.

Part of the problem is around the compulsory written tests drivers now have to take every few years as part of EU legislation. Many older drivers have difficulty with literacy levels and decided to bin the job rather than soldier on.....

Interesting snippet. I would be siding with the older drivers on this - 20 years without an accident and you have to take a stupid written test.

One family friend was an old-school driver, when I lived in London he (from Taunton) said that when making trips to London they used to change the roads around lots but it didn't worry him because he always navigated off the church spires. He must have had an awesome mental map of cities.

HOLA4425

Interesting snippet. I would be siding with the older drivers on this - 20 years without an accident and you have to take a stupid written test.

One family friend was an old-school driver, when I lived in London he (from Taunton) said that when making trips to London they used to change the roads around lots but it didn't worry him because he always navigated off the church spires. He must have had an awesome mental map of cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_CPC

Archived