House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Bored Out Of My Mind

I'm not, I hasten to add, this is not a cry for help!

I thought this was an interesting discussion to bring to the net, which i had in RL (real life - with real peeple face to face - I know!).

When I were a child a wet Sunday afternoon in the winter would usually have me bored out of my mind. No smartphones, no internet, no computers, not allowed to have the telly on during the day. Bored, bored, bored. Think the Tony Hancock Sunday but without the humour or even the distraction of a crossword.

But that boredom spurred me on to grasp opportunities when they were there, because the thought of a lifetime of Sunday afternoons was a horror beyond imagining. Even now when financially I could retire I don't, the fear of those Sunday afternoons stretching out for weeks, months, years prevents me. I have hobbies and interests but seven days a week to pursue them? I think I would rapidly go off them.

However anybody growing up now has a plethora of distractions available to them. Sunday afternoons aren't boring when you have an immersive, beautifully-crafted computer game to sink yourself into an alternative reality for a few hours. Indeed Sunday afternoons aren't long enough. So you always have something else that you would prefer to be doing than being at school, work. And your mind is never idling, day dreaming, wandering off on a fugue. It always has an external focus.

Whilst i wouldn't wish those Sunday afternoons on anybody (well, maybe ISIS) and they're not coming back I think they have been the making of me and several of the similar-aged (mid to late 40s) people I was talking to, and that experience of boredom must have been magnified many times in past centuries without TV, radio or even books. I can't for instance see anybody currently under about 35 not retiring early if they get the chance.

I used to read books from the library, and listen to Moscow on the short wave radio. I do remember being bored though! There might be a good war film on after Sunday lunch! :blink: One where the Germans lost again.

When I was a kid, and bored (living in a rainy place curtailed outdoor activities a lot of the time) I would read, voraciously. I'm sure that's what, to this day, puts a polish on my intelligence and I still get employed easily even at 63. I still read voraciously, even with said distractions. I'm a smartphone user, play computer games and learn as much as I can - about everything. That's my proof against boredom. If this sounds solitary, I have some very good friends, too, real people, who are as intelligent and interested in life as I am.

Yeah. Character building.

Or character-scarring! It wasn't from choice.

I used to read a fair bit but unless it was a total page-turner it was unlikely to be for six hours straight.

I'm not, I hasten to add, this is not a cry for help!

I thought this was an interesting discussion to bring to the net, which i had in RL (real life - with real peeple face to face - I know!).

When I were a child a wet Sunday afternoon in the winter would usually have me bored out of my mind. No smartphones, no internet, no computers, not allowed to have the telly on during the day. Bored, bored, bored. Think the Tony Hancock Sunday but without the humour or even the distraction of a crossword.

But that boredom spurred me on to grasp opportunities when they were there, because the thought of a lifetime of Sunday afternoons was a horror beyond imagining. Even now when financially I could retire I don't, the fear of those Sunday afternoons stretching out for weeks, months, years prevents me. I have hobbies and interests but seven days a week to pursue them? I think I would rapidly go off them.

However anybody growing up now has a plethora of distractions available to them. Sunday afternoons aren't boring when you have an immersive, beautifully-crafted computer game to sink yourself into an alternative reality for a few hours. Indeed Sunday afternoons aren't long enough. So you always have something else that you would prefer to be doing than being at school, work. And your mind is never idling, day dreaming, wandering off on a fugue. It always has an external focus.

Whilst i wouldn't wish those Sunday afternoons on anybody (well, maybe ISIS) and they're not coming back I think they have been the making of me and several of the similar-aged (mid to late 40s) people I was talking to, and that experience of boredom must have been magnified many times in past centuries without TV, radio or even books. I can't for instance see anybody currently under about 35 not retiring early if they get the chance.

Surely even in the 1930's they had lego, meccano etc ?

When ah wir a lahd, we used to just go out and fight with the kids from the neighbouring estates when we were bored.... didn't bother if it was raining or not, it didn't really make that much difference. Character building, in a way.

Probably why I ended up in the army, and didn't gain a degree until I was in my early 40's, so I guess it did form the basis of my later years.

When ah wir a lahd, we used to just go out and fight with the kids from the neighbouring estates when we were bored.... didn't bother if it was raining or not, it didn't really make that much difference. Character building, in a way.

Probably why I ended up in the army, and didn't gain a degree until I was in my early 40's, so I guess it did form the basis of my later years.

I'm doing my first degree now.

I can't imagine ever being bored enough to watch daytime TV.

In my day, daytime tv didn't exist. Tv started around five pm. And was much much worse than today's tv.

I believe children should be taught quiet hobbies.
Things they can do on wet afternoons costing little or no money. Reading springs to mind, drawing, writing, crafts.

I think youth clubs breed children who need to be entertained.

Guest eight

In my day, daytime tv didn't exist. Tv started around five pm. And was much much worse than today's tv.

Nationwide was worse than Say Yes to The Dress? Really?

I don't know the Test card and music had its moments. And at least we got full coverage of the Test Match during the day. I could probably name the English team of 1971, wouldn't have a clue these days.

Never got bored as a kid, it was a large Victorian semi that seemed to present unlimited entertainnment somehow, indeed all the other kids seemed to make it a second home too.

This Thread has Board me! ;)

Sorry Bendy.

It's the clocks going back and the rain and the darkness that has brought it back for me.

I never do (or did) get bored in the summer.

Well done Mr Third. I think sometimes degrees are wasted on the young.

I'm doing my first degree now.

Well done! :blink:;)

I used to go out for a long ride (on my bike) ...

Still popular, I see ...

Can she afford shoes, or is that Yorkshire hardness?

I don't remember getting bored too often at home as a child. At school on the other hand I just spent most of my time looking forward to the end of the school day. Now I do the same with work.

From my recall Sundays as a kid started out with boredom that was replaced by a growing feeling of uneasiness at about 4-5 pm as the prospect of returning to school loomed. As an adult I dont get bored anymore on Sundays but that lingering undercurrent of discontent and vague irritation still strikes without fail as the clock moves to towards the early evening. It is as though fate has somehow crumbled a stale digestive biscuit into the bed of my life and then forced me to lie on it.

From my recall Sundays as a kid started out with boredom that was replaced by a growing feeling of uneasiness at about 4-5 pm as the prospect of returning to school loomed. As an adult I dont get bored anymore on Sundays but that lingering undercurrent of discontent and vague irritation still strikes without fail as the clock moves to towards the early evening. It as though fate has somehow crumbled a digestive biscuit into the bed of my life and then force me to lie on it.

See. That's why we need a "Like" button.

And yes that description of the nether hours of Sundays strickes a chord.