House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CunningPlan

Why Do We Misuse Capitals?

Looking at the thread titles, they nearly all capitalise the first letter of every word. Is this some kind of hidden code, accepted practice or just odd use of the rules of English?

Guest eight

the advent of internet urls was definitely a boon for lovers of lower case - you see it in all kinds of unexpected places now.

quite often when making notes i write in small caps

C.Small-caps.gif

Maybe Somebody here is German?

Thought this was going to be another thread on immigration.

But no...it's just someone trying to establish their credentials as a non professional journalist, speech writer or Internet opinion former.

Clearly an intelligence agency shill. But for which one?

Got lots of books thanks :)

But they don't capitalise every word.

515uz%2BYh4UL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

And no hidden agenda - just curious.

It's very German to capitlalis all nouns!

the advent of internet urls was definitely a boon for lovers of lower case - you see it in all kinds of unexpected places now.

quite often when making notes i write in small caps

C.Small-caps.gif

Lower case letters did not exist before the 8th century AD in the Latin alphabet. They were introduced with the invention of New Cursive and scripts such as Carolingian miniscule. Prior to that time written scripts were all capitals In fact modern mixed case scripts such as Times Roman is not Roman at all. They have their origins in monasteries in the Dark Ages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Latin_alphabet

Somehow I dislike lower case letters, but then I'm a SHOUTY BASTAD!

Lower case letters did not exist before the 8th century AD in the Latin alphabet. They were introduced with the invention of New Cursive and scripts such as Carolingian miniscule. Prior to that time written scripts were all capitals In fact modern mixed case scripts such as Times Roman is not Roman at all. They have their origins in monasteries in the Dark Ages.

The letters we used, in their current forms, were much later than the capitals but other forms of lower case letters existed although it's possibly inaccurate to call them "cases"; at any rate AFAIK they weren't used mixed in the way we do today.

Guest eight

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Latin_alphabet

Well that's what I was trying to say, obviously - I do my shopping list in illuminated script, complete with gold leaf and archaic spellings "Buye ye cheese strynges", that kind of thing.