House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CunningPlan

Can Someone Invent A Money Comparator?

The amount of times £100m, £1bn, £187bn are thrown about makes the numbers totally unfathomable to the average Joe.

As per another thread, we have 'The size of 4 football pitches' or 'The size of Wales' to make big things comprehensible.

Can we do something sensible with money - and maybe make it relevant to tax paid or number of average taxpayers needed to pay for it?

Any ideas?

I always like to break amounts down into per capita rates. God knows how many actual people live here including illegals but a billion breaks down to just over £15 per capita on 65 million population. Hence the NHS budget of 120 billion works out at just over £1,800 per capita.

Wont get onto the National debt because God knows its real size once you add on unfunded state pension rights.

Edited by crashmonitor

I always like to break amounts down into per capita rates. God knows how many actual people live here including illegals but a billion breaks down to just over £15 per capita on 65 million population. Hence the NHS budget of 120 billion works out at just over £1,800 per capita.Wont get onto the National debt because God knows its real size once you add on unfunded state pension rights.

And about £4000 per tax payer....

If you are talking gross tax payer (i.e. still pays tax once financial benefits have been netted off) then I think the number would be very different.

That is one of the problems with using the 'per taxpayer' system. A lot of people that think they are taxpayers are not in reality.

Edit unless you are including vat etc in which case you might as well just stick with per capita.

Edited by CunningPlan

If you are talking gross tax payer (i.e. still pays tax once financial benefits have been netted off) then I think the number would be very different.

That is one of the problems with using the 'per taxpayer' system. A lot of people that think they are taxpayers are not in reality.

Edit unless you are including vat etc in which case you might as well just stick with per capita.

Good point.

Ok so 29.7 million tax payers.

Of which 3.13m in work families receiving tax credtis so max there are 26.6m tax payers.

Of which 18.8% is public sector so 21.8m actual tax payers.

Whcih means 135bn NHS budget this year is £6,200 per tax payer.

Ouchies.

Which is pretty good value when you compare it to the cost of getting insured in the US - without even including the ludicrous out "out of pocket" expenses you have to pay on top.

Which is pretty good value when you compare it to the cost of getting insured in the US - without even including the ludicrous out "out of pocket" expenses you have to pay on top.

Not when you count what you have to pay on top here.

As in, the full cost of treatment[1] if you're in the two thirds of people who get denied treatment in their hour of need.

[1] Or death. Or both, if you believe the NHS's "cancer operation the week after next" for too long before getting wise to it and paying.

I wish someone would make a film all about how the economy REALLY operates... the market manipulation, the smoke and mirrors of QE & ZIRP, property market props etc etc all done in a simple and entertaining Michael Moore type format for the simpleton masses (me included) to enjoy and understand.

The cost of the US system is clealry a joke. But the US system doesn't represent the only insuranse based healthcare system that is possible. The problem is the government there gets involved with far too much false regulation which helps insurers and providers make too much money. Obamacare and the creation of state insuranse exchanges has been one of the stupidest policy mistakes that has ever been made in the US.

Of course the quality of US healthcare is incomparable to the care levels in the UK and what price do you really want to put on the lives of yourself and your family?

I propose Swedish safety matches.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/grocery-categories/matches_in_tesco.html

You can get 6 boxes (40 matches each) for 95p in Tesco, so that's an average of 0.3958333... pence/match.

Thus £187bn is 4.72x1013 Swedish safety matches, and the average house price in Elgin is 46,558,737 Swedish safety matches. Simple, no?

Of course the quality of US healthcare is incomparable to the care levels in the UK and what price do you really want to put on the lives of yourself and your family?

I'm not sure that's true at all. The NHS typically does very well in global surveys, both for quality of care and, in particular, value for money - a metric in which the US typically comes near the bottom of the table. There's no getting away from the fact that health care is expensive, and getting more so (very rapidly) - one of the many factors not considered when the boomers were paying their NI contributions for which they now feel so entitled.

I'm not sure that's true at all. The NHS typically does very well in global surveys, both for quality of care and, in particular, value for money - a metric in which the US typically comes near the bottom of the table. There's no getting away from the fact that health care is expensive, and getting more so (very rapidly) - one of the many factors not considered when the boomers were paying their NI contributions for which they now feel so entitled.

The "free" (i.e. governmnet funded) healthcare in the US is appauling which drags the quality score of the overall system down. What I am talking about is the high end quality of care you can access if you are willing to pay (either out of pocket or for insuranse) that is second to none.