House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

My Car Has Been Keyed, Arghh! Advice Please.

The bonnet of my Metallic (Obsidian Black) Mercedes has been keyed in the past few days and a month before it goes back to the lease company.

It's a three foot long scratch right down into the metal work. Can anyone recommend a paint shop, looks like a full respray in the midlands and outlying areas... possibly as far as Milton Keynes and a similar distance up north (from B78).

Cost wise should I put it through the insurance and pay the excess or foot the bill (if <£700 which I have saved for next years holiday, sorry children). What would be the likely affect on insurance premiums.

Thanks.

LTS

Tom Silver! Your Angels have not been smiling! :blink:

Nice to have that feeling that any keyed on top of the existing keys, dents and scratches would not get noticed....given up caring as long as it gets me from a to b safely, economically, comfortably and legally.....who am I to care....sick another sticker on it.

Actually, depending on how deep it is, try investing in a bottle of T-cut. It's amazing what will polish out, especially on a metallic / pearlescent finish ( the lacquer coat often goes white when scratched but the paint underneath is fine).

Nice to have that feeling that any keyed on top of the existing keys, dents and scratches would not get noticed....given up caring as long as it gets me from a to b safely, economically, comfortably and legally.....who am I to care....sick another sticker on it.

But it's a lease car Winks! You are supposed to bring it back with no dents!

How annoying.

I had a no fault accident last year and whilst my insurer did protect my no claims, they whacked up the premium so it went up £150 or so. I went to another insurer who wasn't so stupid and my premium actually went down.

Point of this: don't worry about claiming on your insurance, and if your premium goes up move. A decent insurer will not rate you higher for one no fault incident in however many years you have.

Tom Silver! Your Angels have not been smiling! :blink:

The car can be put right and the cost absorbed into the household budget over say... a year. Not letting this affect my mood.

I tried (as mentioned on here) to move to a couldn't care less car (Citroen C1) and wiser to having a nice car and the responsibility of having to keep it in fair wear and tear order my next car is not only cheaper (BMW 120D) but Solid black in colour which is far cheaper to put right.

Actually, depending on how deep it is, try investing in a bottle of T-cut. It's amazing what will polish out, especially on a metallic / pearlescent finish ( the lacquer coat often goes white when scratched but the paint underneath is fine).

First hint of rain and it is already starting to rust. Sadly T-cut isn't going to cut it :(

How annoying.

I had a no fault accident last year and whilst my insurer did protect my no claims, they whacked up the premium so it went up £150 or so. I went to another insurer who wasn't so stupid and my premium actually went down.

Point of this: don't worry about claiming on your insurance, and if your premium goes up move. A decent insurer will not rate you higher for one no fault incident in however many years you have.

Right on Frank! It has happened to me. Those that damage another person's vehicle with no reason, will be Satan's Bitch until the end of time. Pin has spoken! :blink:

Sorry to hear this.

Some of those guys with vans do tremendous jobs - I know a guy here in Swansea who has regular monthly contracts with a couple of the big dealers. People go and damage their cars on the forecourt en masse and he is called in to repair numerous keyings of cars. Sometimes he is asked to do 2o or 30 cars a time at a dealers. It is amazing what they can do.

May I suggest that you do not get this done until nearer the time when you take it back to the lease company - unless you know where and when this was done and hence can avoid being near the place again.

I have been looking into getting this camera, or the updated version, for my bike and car:

First hint of rain and it is already starting to rust. Sadly T-cut isn't going to cut it :(

That's Mercedes for you. No wonder their Reich did not last a thousand years! If you sneeze bits fall off! Must have learned all their quality control from Renault! The old 70s/80s ones were well solid!

Sorry to say that it sounds like you either need to claim on your insurance or get the whole panel re-sprayed. They will probably fill it as well if it was that hard because there's probably a dent too.

I would guess for a bonnet you're probably looking at £500 plus.

If the lease company do it then double it.

I'm not an expert, others might have other thoughts. I did have a good experience with chips away though. They will look at it and recommend whatever you need up to full respray etc.

Sorry to say that it sounds like you either need to claim on your insurance or get the whole panel re-sprayed. They will probably fill it as well if it was that hard because there's probably a dent too.

I would guess for a bonnet you're probably looking at £500 plus.

If the lease company do it then double it.

I'm not an expert, others might have other thoughts. I did have a good experience with chips away though. They will look at it and recommend whatever you need up to full respray etc.

You are oop North! The chips are better there! And there's curry sauce!

Give it back in a months time - hopefully the lease company wont notice...

Otherwise with Chips Away, you can call them out (there's a form on their website), and they'll give you a quote. You could ask a couple of local garages, and they may tell you who they use...They'll be a few no doubt, hiding away on a trading estate..

Sorry to hear this.

Some of those guys with vans do tremendous jobs - I know a guy here in Swansea who has regular monthly contracts with a couple of the big dealers. People go and damage their cars on the forecourt en masse and he is called in to repair numerous keyings of cars. Sometimes he is asked to do 2o or 30 cars a time at a dealers. It is amazing what they can do.

May I suggest that you do not get this done until nearer the time when you take it back to the lease company - unless you know where and when this was done and hence can avoid being near the place again.

I have been looking into getting this camera, or the updated version, for my bike and car:

What do you do when it records someone keying it ?

The car can be put right and the cost absorbed into the household budget over say... a year. Not letting this affect my mood.

I tried (as mentioned on here) to move to a couldn't care less car (Citroen C1) and wiser to having a nice car and the responsibility of having to keep it in fair wear and tear order my next car is not only cheaper (BMW 120D) but Solid black in colour which is far cheaper to put right.

Solid Vs metallic is not that much of a difference in cost these days a good body shop could well be able to repaint just the bonnet

Sorry to hear this longtomsilver. I'm glad I drive an unsexy car as it gets ignored.

I certainly recommend getting a dashcam. I think it would have to be hardwired to record constantly like in this example:

A cheat you can do is mask off along the nearest crease, if there is one, in the panel which can leave a small area to respray but difficult to spot at a glance.

The bonnet of my Metallic (Obsidian Black) Mercedes has been keyed in the past few days and a month before it goes back to the lease company.

It's a three foot long scratch right down into the metal work. Can anyone recommend a paint shop, looks like a full respray in the midlands and outlying areas... possibly as far as Milton Keynes and a similar distance up north (from B78).

Cost wise should I put it through the insurance and pay the excess or foot the bill (if <£700 which I have saved for next years holiday, sorry children). What would be the likely affect on insurance premiums.

Thanks.

LTS

Oh dear the 'I'm jealous of you because you have a better car than me' syndrome.

I hope you can get it repaired without too much impact on the pocket. My sympathies.

What do you do when it records someone keying it ?

Post the video on "UK Drivers Exposed" (or whatever page it is that seems to get everywhere) and let 50k people tell you what an A-hole he is.

That seems to be the normal procedure these days anyway.

Or increasingly popular seems to be, really piss off some poor driver on the motorway then set the camera rolling as he exacts his ill judged reactionary revenge on you. Then revel in the sympathy and watch the poor idiot lose his job.