House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

What Is It With The Titanic?

Ship sank, big loss of life but many saved.

Special qualities: maiden voyage, not enough lifeboats, posh passengers.

But for some reason people go mental for it. This week there's a BISCUIT from the Titanic expected to sell for £10k.

You barely hear about the Lusitania, and I'm sure there are many other shipping disasters of greater significance.

So what is it about the Titanic that has people wetting themselves at the thought of buying a biscuit that was on it?

Wibble.

The torpedoing of the Wilhelm Gustloff and it's subsequent sinking in the baltic sea was a far worse disaster and the biggest ever loss of life 9400 civillian refugees fleeing the red army.

It was a hospital ship.

(it's rumoured to have had some of the Amber Rooms on board)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Wilhelm_Gustloff

No-one ever made a film about that nor do we hear much about it either.

Ship claimed to be unsinkable sinks on it's maiden voyage with many of the "Great and Good" on board. You wouldn't make it up, would you?

This. It's the irony that made it so memorable.

Lots of romanticism wrapped up in the Titanic.

It was seen as the pinnacle of technology in its day. Then you have all that romantic idea of people leaving Europe for the New World - the Yanks love that part of the Titanic story - and the idea that some of the richest and supposedly most brilliant people of their age died aboard it.

That whole romantic notion that the world would have been different if they had lived - even that WW1 might not have happened and hence world history would be entirely different from that point - and throw in several conspiracy theories - people love a good mystery - and it is understandable why the Titanic grips so many over a century later.

For us in the UK it also, along with the death of Scott and his men at the South Pole, brings together notion that this was the British Empire peaking prior to the outbreak of WW1.

Here is a thought provoking drama-documentary:

Asquith, "It is a sad day for England when the policies of a British government are dictated by ruthless and greedy businessmen" :lol::lol::lol:

Great film though - Im convinced.

Lots of romanticism wrapped up in the Titanic.

It was seen as the pinnacle of technology in its day. Then you have all that romantic idea of people leaving Europe for the New World - the Yanks love that part of the Titanic story - and the idea that some of the richest and supposedly most brilliant people of their age died aboard it.

That whole romantic notion that the world would have been different if they had lived - even that WW1 might not have happened and hence world history would be entirely different from that point - and throw in several conspiracy theories - people love a good mystery - and it is understandable why the Titanic grips so many over a century later.

For us in the UK it also, along with the death of Scott and his men at the South Pole, brings together notion that this was the British Empire peaking prior to the outbreak of WW1.

That pretty much sums it up.

Timing is everything. The Titanic sank at the right time, at the right place, in the right way and with the right people on board to guarantee a legend. A supposedly unsinkable British ship on a record breaking attempt to cross the Atlantic hitting an iceberg and sinking with considerable loss of life including a few of the Edwardian great and the good looks fated which makes it so symbolic of what was to follow. The Titanic also took long enough to sink and left enough survivors to guarantee plenty of stories about its last hours. If it had gone down in minutes with all hands then I doubt there would be a fraction of the number of books or films about it. The other tragedies such as the sinking of the Lusitania or the Wilhelm Gustloff may have cost more civilian lives but they happened at times of war when millions were dying for other reasons so they have tended to be regarded as just casualties of the wider conflict

The torpedoing of the Wilhelm Gustloff and it's subsequent sinking in the baltic sea was a far worse disaster and the biggest ever loss of life 9400 civillian refugees fleeing the red army.

It was a hospital ship.

(it's rumoured to have had some of the Amber Rooms on board)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Wilhelm_Gustloff

No-one ever made a film about that nor do we hear much about it either.

That wiki states two films were made.

Imagine how many conspiracy theories there would be if it sank today!!

Personally I think the RMS Lusitania would make an interesting film. Most TV & films about ww1 seem to be about the allies facing off against Germany on the western front, where as there was a lot more to it than just that aspect.

My cousin sailed on the Lusitania, but he didn't sink it, honest.

Didn't Korvettankaptan Renting get a gong from the Kaiser? :blink:

Any shipping disaster that rids us of Leonardo DiCaprio is noteworthy in my book.. :D

I actually think DiCapitated (or his agent) picks some pretty good films script wise (Gangs New York, Catch me if you can, Shutter Island).

Plus he was in Gilbert Grape!

Guest eight

My cousin sailed on the Lusitania, but he didn't sink it, honest.

The Lusitania is also a train connecting Madrid and Lisbon. As far as I know it has never sunk.