House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geezer466

Portugal Has Sailed Into New Eu Waters

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11949701/AEP-Eurozone-crosses-Rubicon-as-Portugals-anti-euro-Left-banned-from-power.html

Portugal has entered dangerous political waters. For the first time since the creation of Europe’s monetary union, a member state has taken the explicit step of forbidding eurosceptic parties from taking office on the grounds of national interest.

Anibal Cavaco Silva, Portugal’s constitutional president, has refused to appoint a Left-wing coalition government even though it secured an absolute majority in the Portuguese parliament and won a mandate to smash the austerity regime bequeathed by the EU-IMF Troika.

Used to them ignoring referendum results but election results is a whole new ballgame.....

Hark is that the sound of jackboots I hear marching across Europe

We should declare war on Portugal, our oldest ally. We haven't done that before! :blink:

This story seems to be wrong on many levels.

Telegraph going full barking like Breitbart.

Can't find any other sources to back this assertion up.

Google is your friend

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=portugal+election&sourceid=silk&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=9IIrVtWvIMmGU-aTpWg#q=portugal+election&tbm=nws

The head of state, the President, has asked the largest party to form a minority government. The problem is that it won't actually be able to get any legislation through the Portuguese Parliament if all members follow their party whips.. If it was the UK the government would survive until the first No Confidence vote, then the monarch would ask the the other parties to try to form a government. If that failed then there would be another general election. I expect similar rules apply in Portugal. I don't think it unreasonable to describe such situations as constitutional crises.

Google is your friend

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=portugal+election&sourceid=silk&ie=UTF-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=9IIrVtWvIMmGU-aTpWg#q=portugal+election&tbm=nws

The head of state, the President, has asked the largest party to form a minority government. The problem is that it won't actually be able to get any legislation through the Portuguese Parliament if all members follow their party whips.. If it was the UK the government would survive until the first No Confidence vote, then the monarch would ask the the other parties to try to form a government. If that failed then there would be another general election. I expect similar rules apply in Portugal. I don't think it unreasonable to describe such situations as constitutional crises.

The difference being the UK would be forced into an immediate General Election if any Government lost a no confidence vote. Then it starts again.

Portugal it seems has something in it's constitution meaning a new election cannot be held till the end of next year, so will bumble along ungovernable.

One would wonder what El Presidente was thinking of. Clearly he has not acted like a grown up or in keeping with the ceremonial position he holds. It is situations like this when the army should step in and ensure the wishes of the electorate are observed......

If it was the UK the government would survive until the first No Confidence vote, then the monarch would ask the the other parties to try to form a government. If that failed then there would be another general election. I expect similar rules apply in Portugal. I don't think it unreasonable to describe such situations as constitutional crises.

I believe in the UK the head of state should ask the party who is most able to command a majority in the house to form the govt. This would require lots of talks in smoke filled rooms with civil servants and I wonder if the result might not be that dissimilar to Portugal.

In practise the govt. would present a Queen's speech with its programme fairly early and this would effectively form a no confidence vote.

I reckon the same would happen here if that nice Mr Corbyn won the most seats but didn't have an overall majority...

XYY

OMG this is a joke, right ??

Why do you think it's a joke? Do you really think the Eurocrats care what the Portugese think?

The difference being the UK would be forced into an immediate General Election if any Government lost a no confidence vote. Then it starts again.

Portugal it seems has something in it's constitution meaning a new election cannot be held till the end of next year, so will bumble along ungovernable.

One would wonder what El Presidente was thinking of. Clearly he has not acted like a grown up or in keeping with the ceremonial position he holds. It is situations like this when the army should step in and ensure the wishes of the electorate are observed......

Yes.

I think I was wrong about the No Confidence vote (effectively the Queens Speech as someone else pointed out). From what I can see the Civil Servants hawk the job of PM around the commons trying to find a leader of a coalition with a voting majority to form a government. If that fails then it's a minority administration which potentially falls at the first Queens Speech or No Confidence vote and then triggers another General Election. What is controversial in Portugal is that the President has not asked the opposition Coaliton if it can form a government. Instead he has imposed a minority government which will effectively be a dead duck from day one but presumably will allow our EU masters to keep that austerity program on track.

Remember Gordon in his bunker in 2010? His party hadn't even won the most seats!

Portugal's crisis sounds a little bit like the situation we've become familiar with in the US, where a president and congress are at perpetual loggerheads.

Its almost as though the Guardian doesn't know what to say, or maybe they hope their readers won't notice :D

But lots of other media are onto the story:

On Thursday night, Cavaco Silva, the President of Portugal, declared in a televised address that he had invited outgoing Prime Minister Pedro Passos Coelho to form another PSD/CDS-PP government, even though it did not have a parliamentary majority. He said that a PS/UDC/BE government would not guarantee Portugal’s “stability, durability and credibility.”...German Chancellor Angela Merkel threw her weight behind Cavaco Silva and Passos Coelho. “We face difficult situations in Ireland, Spain and Portugal…Given the election results in Portugal, we hope Pedro [Passos Coelho] will be successful in forming a government,”

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2015/10/24/port-o24.html

Elections in Portugal this week offered the latest sign that when an individual European nation’s voters challenge eurozone austerity policies, the monetary union -- and the international creditors it represents -- takes precedence.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/portuguese-election-austerity_562c0346e4b0443bb5643170

Portugal: Where NATO rules OK

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/columnists/24-10-2015/132409-portugal_nato-0/

Elections in Portugal this week offered the latest sign that when an individual European nation’s voters challenge eurozone austerity policies, the monetary union -- and the international creditors it represents -- takes precedence.

Interesting. If even the left are turning against the EU, there can't be much life left in it.