House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Knimbies who say No

M O T History Beta Site

There is a beta site which details the recent MOT history (since 2006 approx, with mileage from 2011)of a vehicle, including advisories, retests and reasons for failure. I checked it for my wife's car and it was good back to 2006, detailing a failure for a CV gaitor in 2007 which is consistent with the service history as it was prior to our ownership of the car. Even the mistake in the recorded mileage was replicated accurately the mileage went from circa 100,000 miles to 110 miles to 122,000 miles over three tests. Thankfully the car is worth nothing in any case so no harm done.

All you need is a reg number and a make- so if buying used it can be a worthwhile exercise when browsing ads:

https://mot-history.net/

Edit loadsa mistakes, too drunk to drive.

It works a treat. Very good tool if you are buying a car at an auction.... but not if you're selling. ;)

Here's my last MOT

• 28 February 2015
  • Test Result Fail
  • Odometer reading 84,688 miles
  • MOT test number ############
  • Reason(s) for failure
    Parking brake lever has no reserve travel (3.1.6b)
    Offside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
    Offside Front Subframe mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
  • Advisory notice item(s)
    Headlamp has a product on the lens but not seriously reducing light output (1.7.5a)
    Nearside Rear Lower Radius arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Rear Lower Radius arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Parking brake: parking brake efficiency only just met. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.B.7)
    Nearside Front Subframe mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive (2.4.A.3)
    coolant level low
    undertray insecure
    both rear back plates

I need a new car.

Close. Celica 13 years old!

I only said MR2 as their front subframes are notorious for corrosion. Interesting it might be a 'Toyota disease' as my wife's car is a '97 Corolla.

I saw a bit of surface rust on the mountings for control arms i replaced a year or so ago. I ought to tidy them up a bit, SNACR's recommendation for 'Fluidfilm' is one that sticks in the mind too, but finding the time is not so easy. A few jobs to do over winter.

I've had 5 cars over 32 years. All written off in crashes, my only accidents.

It seems that my 3rd car kept going for at least 4 more years according to the MOT site.

I knew my 2nd car had an after life. The subsequent owner called me a couple of years after it was written off to ask me why it drank so much oil. I found out it was bought with 56k on the clock. It had done >125k and an exhaust valve had once dropped into the cylinder cracking the head, and that mileage was before the odometer stopped working a couple of years previous when I was doing about 18k a year.

Odd that it isn't a .gov domain name.

Or even a .uk name.

The website is registered to Kainos Software Ltd. in Belfast, despite it being branded as a .gov website.

Registered at the beginning of this month.

Maybe they are doing the development, but it is very odd they are using a privately registered domain.

Not sure if they are trawling for data or something, but use with caution.

Nice to see the Toyota I had taken away in December is back on the road and flew through its MOT (guess someone found a new engine for it) and the Honda i traded in for it has failed most MOTs it's had since (seems to have failed on windscreen markings twice - is it being used in hit and runs?!?).

The 54 plate Audi A2 on the Autotrader home page photo has covered 230 miles in the last 3 years, not quite the best use of a diesel?

Unfortunately can't see the second half of Pin's Lexus plate..

Seems to have got a pass for the last 8 years.

Earlier on it had a suspension joint.

I've had 5 cars over 32 years. All written off in crashes, my only accidents.

It seems that my 3rd car kept going for at least 4 more years according to the MOT site.

I knew my 2nd car had an after life. The subsequent owner called me a couple of years after it was written off to ask me why it drank so much oil. I found out it was bought with 56k on the clock. It had done >125k and an exhaust valve had once dropped into the cylinder cracking the head, and that mileage was before the odometer stopped working a couple of years previous when I was doing about 18k a year.

You write off a car in a crash every 6 years ? Are you Jenson Button or something ?!

Looked up my current car... it sailed straight through the 4 MOT's prior to me buying it without even any advisories and yet the first MOT under my ownership resulted in £600 of work required, I'm guessing the previous owner had a tame MOT tester.

You write off a car in a crash every 6 years ? Are you Jenson Button or something ?!

Try a motorbike! You can write yourself off every 6 years! :blink:

Old diesel focus I sold in 2011 for £500 with 190,000 miles on the clock is still going strong. MOT'd till next April last failure was just windscreen wipers.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/

How Many Left? is a database and search engine of statistics about cars, motorcycles and commercial vehicles registered in the United Kingdom. Data comes directly from the Department for Transport and is regularly updated.

My aim with this website is to make public data more accessible to the average motoring enthusiast. If you have any feedback, or if you spot any errors - please feel free to contact me. My details are at the bottom of every page.

It works a treat. Very good tool if you are buying a car at an auction.... but not if you're selling. ;)

Here's my last MOT

I need a new car.

I regularly check Gumtree for car "bargains". This website will force the more dishonest seller to blank out the reg no. Already seeing it. So beware any blanked out reg no`s or photos not showing reg no. Great site.

Montego is one of the most extreme examples considering the 400,000+ that were produced - most models seem to be in single digits now

In all, 436,000 Montegos were sold in the UK between 1984 and 1995. In August 2006, a survey by Auto Express revealed that the Montego was Britain's eighth most scrapped car, with just 8,988 still in working order. Contributing to this, areas of the bodywork that were to be covered by plastic trim (such as the front and rear bumpers) were left unpainted and thus unprotected. In addition, pre-1989 models cannot run on unleaded petrol without the cylinder head being converted or needing fuel additives.[10] The exception being the 1994 cc O series which has sufficiently hard exhaust valves and seats.

Good site. The one and only car I've ever bought (2004 Fiesta 1.4) has an abysmal record on MOTs from year 6 onwards. Still, who needs non-corroded brake lines?

Always buy 3-yr old cars. Makes them about 9 yrs old. Always written off, economically. Some crashes are more significant than others.

It's all down to value. What I can get from the insurers towards my next car, and what the insurers can get selling on my 'wreck'. So long as everyone walks away happy, that's all that matters.

32 years of motoring has cost me about £15k in cars.

(full no claims, stayed with same insurer throughout, full insurance ~£180pa)

fingers crossed.