House Price Crash Forum

First They Came For Your Sugar..

libspero

HOLA441

What's the original risk that is increasing by 18%? If it's a very small risk then even a substantial increase is probably not with worrying about. It's a classic press thing to present figures like this, so they can quote a high sounding percentage figure of risk that makes everything sound much more sensational.

http://dilbert.com/strip/2008-04-19

If anything the press were stating the 18% risk without mentioning the cumulative effect, in the bulletins I heard anyway. Hence why I posted the link, an 18% increase per 50g cumulative seems like a lot and you could substantially affect your chances of diagnosis.

The cancers they talk about are fairly common types of the disease, in the 5 types most commonly diagnosed from what I gather and the second largest cause of cancer death in the UK. Something like a 1 in 14 lifetime risk of diagnosis for men in the UK and 1 in 19 risk for women are numbers I have found:

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/bowel-cancer/incidence#heading-Four

US data says about 1 in 20 lifetime risk which is similar:

http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/colorect.html

When it all comes out in the wash with the treatment options etc it translates into around 15,000 deaths in the UK annually. Not worth worrying about?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

If anything the press were stating the 18% risk without mentioning the cumulative effect, in the bulletins I heard anyway. Hence why I posted the link, an 18% increase per 50g cumulative seems like a lot and you could substantially affect your chances of diagnosis.

The cancers they talk about are fairly common types of the disease, in the 5 types most commonly diagnosed from what I gather and the second largest cause of cancer death in the UK. Something like a 1 in 14 lifetime risk of diagnosis for men in the UK and 1 in 19 risk for women are numbers I have found:

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/statistics-by-cancer-type/bowel-cancer/incidence#heading-Four

US data says about 1 in 20 lifetime risk which is similar:

http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/colorect.html

When it all comes out in the wash with the treatment options etc it translates into around 15,000 deaths in the UK annually. Not worth worrying about?

Well I'm not worrying about it. I haven't eaten meat for 20 years :)

HOLA443

Can't say I'm going to worry about getting cancer. I do worry about the wider implications on an increasingly scared, over-cautious society though.

HOLA444

http://newsthump.com/2015/10/26/joy-of-bacon-sandwich-overrides-cancer-risk-says-everyone/

Joy of bacon sandwich overrides cancer risk, says everyone
Bacon-Sandwich-small.jpg

Nobody gives a flying ****** as to whether bacon causes cancer or not.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) today announced that bacon and other processed meats are carcinogenic, and added them to the same list as alcohol, cigarettes and anything else that might bring you a snippet of joy in this otherwise cruel and desolate world.

The general public has reacted by suggesting the WHO might want to shove their findings up their ****.

“Do one,” ordered Simon Williams, a normal human and therefore massive fan of bacon.

“Everything gives you cancer these days – I mean it doesn’t, obviously, or we’d all have cancer right now. But you get what I mean.”

“Bacon could rise up as a sentient being, murder my family and insult my football team and I would still say that I loved it.”

“I like my bacon the same way I like women: stacked five high and covered in butter.”

“I would sooner a short life filled with bacon and happiness than a long life of misery caused by lentils.”

“****** cancer and ****** the WHO- the organisation, not the band; unless the band has a problem with bacon, in which case ****** them too.”

“BACON.”

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Bacon Bacon Bacon! Bacon for Jews. Bacon for Islam. Bacon for vegetarians! Bacon for all!

I think I could become President with such policies. -_-

Crispy bacon with ketchup! :huh:

HOLA449

Without ploughing back did the WHO actually come up with the nonsense about it being so bad, or was their press release a lot more nuanced and not actually overstating the risk with the media then pouncing on it and exaggerating it to make it into a good outrage story?

HOLA4410

Without ploughing back did the WHO actually come up with the nonsense about it being so bad, or was their press release a lot more nuanced and not actually overstating the risk with the media then pouncing on it and exaggerating it to make it into a good outrage story?

The latter IIRC.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

:lol: These gubmint pronouncements are so meaningless and arbitrary, especially when their simplistic, asinine message is only vaguely meaningful even if they then clearly quantify what a 'portion' is.

not really.

it's in the bible, and it doesn't speak at all kindly of them

• 10 months later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Unless you're allergic to it, and you like it, eat it.

I like sugar and red meat (nicely marbled, the flavour is mostly in the fat) so I eat a lot of both.

I agree - up to a point.

However it's the potential gradual damaging process that seems to be difficult for many to appreciate.

We accept it for alchohol, nicotine, sugar [diabetes] etc..

However for any other foodstuffs the attitude seems to be - well I eat it and it's never done me harm so it must be fine.

I really do think there are plenty of things we are eating today that are gradually making us ill.

However I don't know what they are so I shall continue to eat like a pig !!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Archived