House Price Crash Forum

Is Breakfast Necessary?

Trampa501

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

IMPO it's the easiest of meals to skip and I do 99% of the time. You could research a bit and no matter what your goal/lifestyle you'll be able to find plenty of studies to say that if you miss it you'll die and on the counter as many to say that if you miss it you'll achieve whatever it is you want to achieve in a day!

Everyone is however different and there isn't a one size fits all (though I do (in most circumstances) believe that with time/repetitive obsession people can change if they want too). I never wake up hungry and take at least an hour to adjust before I even think about food, I can easily wait another 3-6 hours (agreeing with your mid-morning) after that before actually eating which is great as I'm verging on ketosis whether I'm aiming for that or not!

Also remember the whole 3 meal a day is very much a western recent thing in terms of human history, breakfast being the rogue one (again, you'll find as much support of this loose fact as you will criticism).

HOLA444

Everyone is however different and there isn't a one size fits all (though I do (in most circumstances) believe that with time/repetitive obsession people can change if they want too). I never wake up hungry and take at least an hour to adjust before I even think about food, I can easily wait another 3-6 hours (agreeing with your mid-morning) after that before actually eating which is great as I'm verging on ketosis whether I'm aiming for that or not!

Also remember the whole 3 meal a day is very much a western recent thing in terms of human history, breakfast being the rogue one (again, you'll find as much support of this loose fact as you will criticism).

I dunno.

Breakfast is a funny thing. I think that perhaps we've all got very different physiologies and what works for some doesn't work for others.

FWIW I used to be a breakfast at 8am kind of guy, lunch at 1pm, etc. Then about 5 years ago I changed completely to just follow my body's cues (the story of my enlightenment is odd, and involves an American woman fondling my thigh under the table when sat next to me during a meeting... One of those surreal days). Anyway, these days I do a morning's work and have a 4 mile run on a cup of tea, then straight to lunch at about midday. I don't get hungry during the morning at all, and I feel pretty perky. My partner on the other hand gets intolerably grumpy and can't concentrate if she's not eaten something by about 10ish.

I certainly think that the three square meals a day is a very western phenomenon and it isn't a necessity.

HOLA445
HOLA446

For me breakfast is a pleasure not a necessity.

During the week I usually just have a coffee.. but on Saturdays I love a full cooked breakfast and a cup of tea, then on Sunday's either a nice pastry with good coffee or toast and marmalade with a pot of early grey (loose leaf naturally).

Those little treats are a necessity :)

HOLA447

Of course 'break fast' is merely the first thing you eat in the day, whenever that is. I don't personally believe the 'problem' of breakfast is to do with timing but to do with 1. Quality of food....hunger leading to snacking on poor quality carbs/sugar and 2. If someone has a poor insulin response then their ability to function effectively in the morning.

I think there is a lot in that - Breakfast cereal isn't a great start, and during the (early) morning our insulin response is most likely to give a spike - leading to potential fatigue and hunger. Mr Kellogg has a lot to answer for*.

*but of course breakfast cereals were invented to prevent 'self-abuse' - perhaps skipping breakfast will result in more pleasurable mornings?

HOLA448

If you haven't died from it yet, why worry about it?

Honestly, it depends on your goals. If you want to keep in good shape I'd say a healthy breakfast tailored to your individual needs is vital. If you're not so worried about being in shape and prefer the extra 30 minutes in bed, then skip it and eat lunch instead.

I'm speaking as someone who practically falls into a coma if I don't get food into me within 90 minutes of waking, but everyone is different. Just do what works for you.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I think there is a lot in that - Breakfast cereal isn't a great start, and during the (early) morning our insulin response is most likely to give a spike - leading to potential fatigue and hunger. Mr Kellogg has a lot to answer for*.

*but of course breakfast cereals were invented to prevent 'self-abuse' - perhaps skipping breakfast will result in more pleasurable mornings?

might be something to thet.

we do have a lot of wheat/cereal based products in our diet already.......namely mcD's,subway etc.

try a bit of yoghurt with fruit salad for breakfast,with fresh juice.

it's quite a "refreshing" breakfast...it's not stodgy like cereals or toast.

believe me, it does make a difference

HOLA4418

Apparently, if you skip breakfast you burn bodyfat.

This is because if you last ate at say 6 or 7pm the previous day, after x amount of hours you've burnt through all your carbs form yesterday and will by 11am the next day you'll be eating you own bodyfat.

Or so I'm told.

I've tried it a few times. I might start again as I am a bit of a fat bast*rd.

HOLA4419

two pieces of toast at 6.30am. Then not hungry until 1pm. Although plenty of milky coffee inbetween. Then massive but healthy lunch 1-2pm - usually self-made vegi curry with plenty of carbs. Then nothing for rest of day. Going to sleep not satiated is good.

Also limited drinking to bottle of wine at the weekend.

Down from 85kg-80 so far

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

two pieces of toast at 6.30am. Then not hungry until 1pm. Although plenty of milky coffee inbetween. Then massive but healthy lunch 1-2pm - usually self-made vegi curry with plenty of carbs. Then nothing for rest of day. Going to sleep not satiated is good.

Also limited drinking to bottle of wine at the weekend.

Down from 85kg-80 so far

Two bottles would be too much for breakfast, even at the weekend.

HOLA4422

I almost never eat breakfast, I don't eat lunch either.

The whole concept of 3 (or whatever) meals a day is a completely arbitrary relatively modern concept*

I'm not saying don't eat breakfast, lunch and dinner but without getting all tin foil hate pretty much any message about food and nutrition has a root in some marketing ******** that now seems to have been taken on as some sort of gospel, when the fact is they have little to no relation to reality.

That's not to say of the traditional three meals breakfast isn't the most logical, i.e. the body hasn't had fuel for a while and eating will refill the glycogen stores for the day activities.

* Before anybody points to research saying little and often is best, that is more about the psychology of dieting, not physiology.

HOLA4423

Apparently, if you skip breakfast you burn bodyfat.

This is because if you last ate at say 6 or 7pm the previous day, after x amount of hours you've burnt through all your carbs form yesterday and will by 11am the next day you'll be eating you own bodyfat.

Or so I'm told.

I've tried it a few times. I might start again as I am a bit of a fat bast*rd.

True - you will go into ketosis in this time frame which I think is what (also) helps keep me in shape (plus about 10-15 hours down the gym every week!)

As said earlier, everyone is different and what works for one (fitness wise) may not work for another. You just have to keep at stuff diet and exercise wise, mix things up and change things around until you find what you are good at then irregularly go out of your comfort zone with what you're not so good at.

FWIW gym at 6.30am and I've just stuffed a mini full english down my thrapple, Friday treat!

HOLA4424

The whole concept of 3 (or whatever) meals a day is a completely arbitrary relatively modern concept*

I've heard this statement a lot, no idea if it's true.

I could imagine back when most people had very labour intensive jobs people would need to get a lot of calories in them.

I'm sure people working the fields etc would have had a genuine need of a good breakfast.

Unlike most modern vocations today.

HOLA4425

If I'm just at home on the 'puter then breakfast is optional.

If I'm out-and-about then breakfast gives me more energy to pedal up those hills, or to lug my backpack over the mountains.

Not sure what conclusions to draw, beyond the bleedin' obvious.

Other: when I'm at FOSDEM I knock back a huge hotel breakfast to set myself up for a day with no lunch and a relatively-early evening meal.

Archived