House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Remove All The Berries To Save Lives

My friend is having a discussion elsewhere with someone who is planting to remove all the berries off Cuckoo Pint plants locally in order to save children being poisoned.

My friend is having a discussion elsewhere with someone who is planting to remove all the berries off Cuckoo Pint plants locally in order to save children being poisoned.

I wasn't aware of it at the time, but my dad tells of himself and my mum removing deadly nightshade from the garden of a house we moved to when we were a youngish family.

Here I have deadly nightshade round the back, near both the blackberries and plums.

Why don't they tell children not to eat strange berries? We knew it when I was young They are nature, and nice to see. I like the country. :blink: They probably taste like shit anyway. You could move them to Peckham, where there is no nature left. :wacko:

I wasn't aware of it at the time, but my dad tells of himself and my mum removing deadly nightshade from the garden of a house we moved to when we were a youngish family.

Here I have deadly nightshade round the back, near both the blackberries and plums.

Pretty purple flowers but can be invasive

.When I went "scrumping" for fruit as a kid, we could spot a raspberry from deadly nightshade. Also good exercise on the bicycle. ^_^

It is illegal to allow ragwort to grow on your land, the penalties are comparable to those for growing cannabis.

Amazing that councils let ragwort grow on verges and roundabouts.

(If you do pull any up, wear gloves, the toxins can be absorbed through skin).

It is illegal to allow ragwort to grow on your land, the penalties are comparable to those for growing cannabis.

I didn't know about ragwort. I believe it to be a common wild flower I have seen many times. I have never had any intent to eat it.

Got to wrap everything in cotton wool. If you've got young children then keeping poisonous plants out of the garden probably makes sense, but in the wider area? Oh dear. Still, fits in with my favourite "society losing the plot" theme. There was a news story today about two people drowning in a waterfall they'd stupidly jumped in to (drink and drugs involved) and calls for warning signs to be put up as a result. For heaven's sake.

I didn't know about ragwort. I believe it to be a common wild flower I have seen many times. I have never had any intent to eat it.

It is but it's also a big problem for livestock if it gets into fields.

It is but it's also a big problem for livestock if it gets into fields.

I thought cows would be more sensible than these daft children who need protecting from nature.

Got to wrap everything in cotton wool. If you've got young children then keeping poisonous plants out of the garden probably makes sense, but in the wider area? Oh dear. Still, fits in with my favourite "society losing the plot" theme. There was a news story today about two people drowning in a waterfall they'd stupidly jumped in to (drink and drugs involved) and calls for warning signs to be put up as a result. For heaven's sake.

Giant hogsweed will blind you and leave you with phosensitive sores for life if you touch it. It looks similar to many other plants. It's hardly overdoing it to put up warning signs.

Giant hogsweed will blind you and leave you with phosensitive sores for life if you touch it. It looks similar to many other plants. It's hardly overdoing it to put up warning signs.

I remember if from the 70s, and a Genesis album. Do not use the stems as a blowpipe. :blink:

And removing berries and signs for waterfalls? Generally speaking I go with "it's up to you to deal with what's out there naturally."

Definitely best to keep poisonous foliage away from one's plums, I find...

No it isn't illegal.

http://www.ragwortfacts.com/ragwort-law.html

I had some bloke try to complain about me having ragwort in my garden and that it was dangerous for horses.

I suggested politely he keep his horse out of my garden and it'd be fine.

http://adlib.everysite.co.uk/adlib/defra/content.aspx?id=2RRVTHNXTS.8HQ8VEN0LFD3K

No it isn't illegal.

http://www.ragwortfacts.com/ragwort-law.html

I had some bloke try to complain about me having ragwort in my garden and that it was dangerous for horses.

I suggested politely he keep his horse out of my garden and it'd be fine.

http://adlib.everysite.co.uk/adlib/defra/content.aspx?id=2RRVTHNXTS.8HQ8VEN0LFD3K

Ah, the Weeds Act only relates to preventing ragwort from spreading.

I am delighted that Ragworts have their own website, BTW. Ragwort dating, next.

Back to the OP; if a person takes it upon themself to remove berries, but does not do it completely and adequately, they may become liable in law for any injury arising.

A bit like if you sweep away the snow from a public footpath, but someone still slips and falls, you may be liable, wheras you wouldn't be if you had done nothing.