House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Cost Of Playing At Wentworth Rises To £116K

Just another thing/place the Chinese now own. To that list add: black cab manufacturer Manganese Bronze, Gieves and Hawkes, the Savile Row tailors, the Weetabix cereal company, the Lloyds Building in London, and the Hinckley Point C nuclear power station etc.

Drive away all the members; close it; build houses on it? Is that the plan?

Pretty sure they are planning on removing the par 3 course and building a hotel. To say the residents are unhappy is an understatement.

I don't see a problem. They should introduce loans - Help to Play. We don't want paupers at our club, only the Elite.

---

They're not making any more land for golf courses you know!

I can see how billionaires make their money. The provision of the golf amenties is a not important, it's just a playing chip to get to something else. Now they have increased the yield on the land of that business, that means the vaule of the land is worth 10x more!

Golf as a game is already in decline in the UK.

This will just accelerate the process.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/rough-times-for-golf-as-britains-amateurs-turn-their-backs-on-the-sport-9687900.html

There are plenty of other clubs looking for new members so expect a huge exodus.

As some have mentioned this just looks like real estate speculation linked to the never ending UK housing ponzi.

On edit - The European tour claim the game is not in decline just changing in format. Reading between the lines they appear to be baking their claim on the number of individuals who use driving ranges, pitch and put, municipal putting greens and playing crazy golf.

http://www.golfmagic.com/news/golf-news/european-tour-report-golf-participation-healthy/21792.html

All sounds a bit desperate to me.They will claiming computer golf games as 'participation' next. Golfing equipment manufacturers sales tell a different story

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/11052733/Golf-equipment-sales-hit-as-interest-in-the-sport-wanes.html

Rich Chinese investors trying to protect their property investments in and around London. Trying to fleece British home buyers some more and fleecing some British golfers at the same time.

People don't require to play golf to live a life, but they do require to buy electricity......the price of fuel and housing is very important to them, not golf prices... Some of the biggest deals are made by the rich and powerful on golf courses, the numbers of them have recently just got bigger and stronger.

Might be perfectly rational for the area. If demand exists at that level, and if it relieves the pressures of too many players (whatever those pressures may be: I don't play golf but I understand it involves lots of waiting for people in front of you, and maybe there are also issues of too much churning up the ground).

We all have our price of exclusivity. For me, it happened when I lived near Rome, and chose to avoid the monthly "get in free" day at the Vatican museums. I thought it worth the usual charge to avoid several hours queueing and then being unable to see much at all through the crowds when I finally reached the front.

[edit to add] Oh, and there's lots to like about golf courses. It gives you an area of open, accessible land, which in many areas may be scarce. And a bunch of rich people prepared to pay to keep it as an amenity that's free for the rest of us.

I think this is excellent news. Nice to see it being flagged up in the Torygraph. It might make a few more people think about the world we are creating for future generations.

Golf is a game played with two balls. One ball is a inch and a quarter in diameter the other is 12,000 mile in diameter.

The art of the game is to hit the small ball with out hitting the big one.

And getting on to the fact that some of these pastimes are not being taken up by younger people, a friend of mine, much older than me (circa 72yo) who now is the proud owner of two yachts,, why? because he grabbed a bargain which had been on the market for a while but now cant sell his original yacht for even half the price he thought it would sell for, why? as I explained to him, the type of people who would have bought it 25 years or so ago, currently are up to their necks in mortgages which they will never pay off and the real cost of living, even for people with what we would call good jobs is higher in real terms than it was back in the day, also that just like this golf club, the cost of maintaining this hobby is way out of whack with real wages, never mind job prospects and security.

Article says

''Peter Alliss, the BBC golf commentator who is an honorary Wentworth member, earlier described the debenture plan as “an extraordinary step” commenting that “there are very few people who have £100,000 to piddle away on their pleasures".

No but that does not matter, the only thing that counts now is that the 1%ers are getting what they want and keeping the riff raff out. What was middle class is now becoming exclusive and financially upper class but open to the entire globalised world,, ie a rich Russian gangster or Chinese oligarch is displacing a local middle class person

'' members spoke of fears that "ordinary golfers" would be driven out by the "cull".

As intended.