House Price Crash Forum

Big Cat On The Loose In Kent ?

HOLA441
HOLA442

This is the guy's blog (Neil Arnold, the expert):

http://www.kentbigcats.blogspot.co.uk/

I think it is a plausible theory - but I find it strange that in these days of pretty much everyone carrying a camera all of the time that there aren't loads of photos of these beasts (although I have to admit I've not bothered to look beyond the first few pages - maybe there is something special hidden within).

HOLA443
HOLA444

There have been stories about big-cat sightings in the South-West (Dartmoor?) for years, yet very few photographs, which seems odd in these days of smart-phones.

Though I have seen footage which is compelling, but rare.

I'd have to say that I suspect human intervention to be responsible. Though I keep an open mind.

HOLA445

I've heard that there are many Cougars in Kent, but await photographic evidence before I believe it.

Ha ha! Not that sort! :blink:

HOLA446

There have been stories about big-cat sightings in the South-West (Dartmoor?) for years, yet very few photographs, which seems odd in these days of smart-phones.

Though I have seen footage which is compelling, but rare.

I'd have to say that I suspect human intervention to be responsible. Though I keep an open mind.

I wouldn't say that at all. I'm not saying there are loads of big cats running around (I think there may be the odd isolated case here and there and not long term) but these animals are hard wired not to be seen and there are count less animals we have thought extinct, a myth or completely new discoveries and then rediscovered. In those scenarios there will be a breeding population, even less chance when it's a single animal. They just do a very good job of not being seen.

Most animals have a far better sense of smell than we do and so they smell us way before we might even get close to see them.

Having said all that, Kent isn't really wild enough IMO to sustain a big cat without regular sightings IMO, it's either too open or reasonably populated. Have a look at Dartmoor, it's a massive area with little to no roads, I can certainly see that housing a big cat, although I doubt there is one now, even if there had been one in the past after the 1976 Dangerous wild animals act which is often mentioned as a possible source of these cats (i.e. previously illegally kept animals released or more likely escaped and not identified to convention of the act), but your average big cat has a life span of 12-20 years so that source is long gone if it was ever there.

HOLA447

Most animals have a far better sense of smell than we do and so they smell us way before we might even get close to see them.

Not dogs, they always have to stick their snotty snouts right up yer backside to get a sniff.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Having come across a big cat within a few feet, I find it absolutely bizarre that there is even a debate on this issue. About fifteen years ago when I lived at a farmhouse on the Derbyshire moors I came across one scavenging in the dustbins. It looked about six feet long and I would guess a puma as opposed to a lynx. I ran towards it and it leapt over the fence possibly about six feet in the air with ease, It did leave huge claw prints in the snow.

There was no real secret amongst the locals and farmers that there was a scavenging puma, most of them had seen it, but the press like to bring an element of mystery into these things. The thoughts were that it had escaped from Riber zoo near Matlock which is no longer is in existence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/earthnews/10020164/Big-cat-Britain-the-sightings.html

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Having come across a big cat within a few feet, I find it absolutely bizarre that there is even a debate on this issue. About fifteen years ago when I lived at a farmhouse on the Derbyshire moors I came across one scavenging in the dustbins. It looked about six feet long and I would guess a puma as opposed to a lynx. I ran towards it and it leapt over the fence possibly about six feet in the air with ease, It did leave huge claw prints in the snow.

There was no real secret amongst the locals and farmers that there was a scavenging puma, most of them had seen it, but the press like to bring an element of mystery into these things. The thoughts were that it had escaped from Riber zoo near Matlock which is no longer is in existence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/earthnews/10020164/Big-cat-Britain-the-sightings.html

You ran towards it. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:;)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

You ran towards it. Yeah, right. :rolleyes:;)Naturalization

To "shoo" it away, obviously! Although I woudn't try that with a tiger. :wacko:

Archived