House Price Crash Forum

Eyesight And Glasses

DTMark

HOLA441

Yes.

I also remember we had a PDP 11 which you had to toggle the bootloader code into via an array of 16 switches on the front panel. Luckily crashes were pretty rare.

We should have got a burd to do it like in the adverts:

Digital.PDP-11.1970.102646128.fc.lg.jpg

http://archive.computerhistory.org/resources/text/DEC/pdp-11/Digital.PDP-11.1970.102646128.fc.jpg

Look at the geek having a shifty gander at her mudflaps.

YOu can see the red toggle switches on the right hand cabinet just in front of the woman's pubic area.

I tell you looking at that all day bending over to tear off printouts would be enough to make anyone go blind.

I've still got a stack of those 19" plastic DEC blanking panels in my garage.

Haven't looked recently, but I may also still have her in my cellar.

And she should tell him someone has nicked his keyboard, he doesn't seem to have noticed.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

It does seem to be more of a tendency to feel eye strain rather than difficulty in seeing things. Though trying to read small text very close up, such as cooking instructions, can be more tricky and it does help to move the thing further away. Which seems oddly counter-intuitive but then that's to do with the long-sightedness.

I work from around 10 until 5 though I do sit at my desk at lunch and don't take formal breaks. Age 42.

So I'll have lunch downstairs this week and set an alarm for a break every couple of hours.

Have pushed the monitors back as far as they will go. Neither is very new nor high-end and I wonder if perhaps they're not as good as they once were e.g. the refresh rate isn't as high as it could be, and while I don't see any "flickering", getting new, better quality ones might be an investment.

The problem is cumulative - a weekend of being nowhere near a computer and it recovers, then gets worse as the week goes on. Late nights at the PC (like right now) also make it worse, so the "take regular breaks" thing would appear to be the best advice. I'm off to listen to an audio book shortly.

I'll give it a week and perhaps go back to Specsavers and have a conversation along the lines you mention. Thanks for taking the time to respond in detail.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Archived