House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chronyx

Book Keeping And Invocing Software

Can anyone recommend some software that I can use to create invoices and automatically enter payments in/out in a ledger style format?

I'm now self-employed again and used to do invoices in Word, and keep a ledger by hand on paper. I need a more efficient method now.

Have a go with NCH, some of it is free.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/software/business.html

Do you really need a computer accounting system. I reckon having a bank account at the front of a cashbook (sales total column and sub analyisis columns on the left) and a payments total column and sub analysis columns on the right. And a sales daybook in the back cross referenced to the sales entered in the bank at the front is easy peasy for anybody with less than 250 sales a year. Just a cross tick to form a sales account...Op debtors + Sales daybook +overpaid = Bankings+iscounts + Cl Debtors

There again I do like Dickensian methods, but it saves hours on inputting stuff into a computer unless your business is particularly big. Now where did I put my quill.

Its the repetition of customer data entry for every order, a small typical description for the sale, and auto VAT that a computer can take the drudge out of.

And when Suppliers insist on an order number and confirmation, thats a doddle too.

A standard invoice template should be easy enough to just amend every time you need a new one ? Unless you are doing literally thousands of them of course. And the rest of the info in a basic excel spreadsheet maybe ?

If you have an accountant who will be doing all the nonsense paperwork stuff for you - then I doubt you would need any specific software for a small venture - just to keep on top of day to day stuff ?

Have a go with NCH, some of it is free.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/software/business.html

Their invoicing software looks perfect. I'm a tradesman so I just need to generate and log invoices basically, so I have something to give the bookie at the end of the year along with wholesaler bills etc.

A standard invoice template should be easy enough to just amend every time you need a new one ? Unless you are doing literally thousands of them of course. And the rest of the info in a basic excel spreadsheet maybe ?

If you have an accountant who will be doing all the nonsense paperwork stuff for you - then I doubt you would need any specific software for a small venture - just to keep on top of day to day stuff ?

The odd duplicate invoice number or mistake still gets through, and having some digital and some 'analogue' seems silly.

Just a thought, why not talk to your accountant and see what he recommends.

It could be problematic if you buy something he doesn't have access to and doesn't particularly understand.

Also, if you don't really understand how to use it, the software can be worse than useless.

Every small co. I know uses Sage.

Hark the words of the wise! His truck is enormous, and his wheels are clean! :wacko:

Hark the words of the wise! His truck is enormous, and his wheels are clean! :wacko:

They are very clean, I had a valet at the airport.

I actually don't like the way that Sage stores its data as I had a nightmare trying to take it off Sage and convert it onto the main company ledger after a takeover.

This is however irrelevant for the OP, from a user point of view it does everything you want in a straightforward way.

I've known a few small companies use Sage. I never really got into it. I'd rather use clerks writing the ledgers with quill pens.

There used to be a free download of QuickBooks that allowed for something like up to 20 customers. QuickBooks is friendly for the SME user.

Personally, I've always found Sage to be a tedious, ugly, bug-ridden (as in outright crashing) piece of software best suited to accountants, and woefully misadvertised as being for "small business owners", we paid about £500 for a copy and I ended up giving it to a colleague for nothing.

It may have improved since, it could hardly have got worse.