House Price Crash Forum

Any Tall-Ish Cyclists Fancy A Bargain?

Rave

HOLA441

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-560-mountain-bike-id_8293151.html

Only Large and XL in stock online, might find smaller sizes in stock in shops. I'm 5'11 and the Large is perfect for me. Read through to the third page of reviews and you'll see how delighted I was with mine having paid £400 for it (Richard, aged 36). At £340 it's astonishing value for money, if you've ever fancied trying mountain biking and can afford to risk a week's wages on trying something new, then you should pile in. You'll flog it off for £250 in the classifieds/ebay all year long if it's not for you.

HOLA442

I'm looking for a quality folding mountain bike or hybrid to carry in my car boot. Ideally 26 in wheels, 19" frame. I'm 5'7"

The Montague and Land Rover ranges look pretty good.

My emphasis is on lightness (not a steel frame) and quality (durable and reliable).

Any comments or other suggesions?

Amazon's reviews have helpfully warned me away from some cheaper brands.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Great value - but I don't rate avid hydraulics. Nightmare to bleed and prone to sticking. Although I maybe just got unlucky.

Yeah I've heard that from loads of people; my brother ended up ditching his in favour of Shimano on his first hardtail. I ought to research what's actually wrong with them and take steps to mitigate the problem with mine. As far as I can tell though the mounts and disc size are industry standard and so more reliable replacement levers and calipers can be bought and fitted easily for less than a ton.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Why are hydraulics superior to cable on a bike?

I have this system on my car. Only your imaginary uncle would have a car with cable operated brakes.

HOLA448

More powerful, more reliable, less maintenance, less strain on the wheel, further away from the grit and mud.

They are a bit heavier though.

Depending on what you get of course.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Dunno. But then I've got BB5 cable operated brakes so all I know is that discs beat rim brakes by a country mile.

People seem to talk about hydraulics being self-adjusting and having better modulation. But this just seems like puffery to me - the real significant difference is moving from rims to discs.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I'm looking for a quality folding mountain bike or hybrid to carry in my car boot. Ideally 26 in wheels, 19" frame. I'm 5'7"

The Montague and Land Rover ranges look pretty good.

My emphasis is on lightness (not a steel frame) and quality (durable and reliable).

Any comments or other suggesions?

Amazon's reviews have helpfully warned me away from some cheaper brands.

Wait for the mountain bike crash?

Ideally some lightweight pro-bike that's being sold by some tax-crunched crying BTLer.

Yeti ARC Hardtail Mtb - FOR BANKERS AND PROPERTY DEVELOPERS ONLY

Item condition: Used

Ended: 17 Nov, 2011 21:50:32 GMT

Price: £40,000.00

Postage: Free Standard Delivery

Yup, you read it right, £40,000.00

(Nearly 3000 page views, 80 watchers, loads of emails saying "I hope someone buys it", 2 emails with the phone number for the Samaritans, an angry one from a bloke who couldn't spell what he thought I was and one offer of £200 for the bike - I had no idea going bankrupt would be so entertaining!)

12 months ago I would have had maybe a hundred people watching the auction that just finished for this bike (it finished without a single bid on a give-away £1850 start price). I would have had offers within minutes and would almost certainly have sold it for over £2500.00. It seems that ebayers no longer have any money and are scared of spending any, which I totally understand as I'm only selling everything I own because I'm nearly out of cash, nearly homeless, very in debt and only a 'Happy-Meal' away from bankruptcy.

So why does no-one have any money? Maybe because the bankers and property developers who did very well in the 'good times' are - like most people who already have too much money - the ones who pull their purse strings in tightest when times are not so good. Result, money stops circulating - from the top down. People lose their jobs, go broke, stop buying stuff on ebay and lose their homes, and the people who did best in the good times emerge at the other end with their savings intact wondering why all the sandwich bars near their office have mysteriously closed down.

All of which got me thinking, since some of the bankers, traders and property developers I've met could lose £40k on a single deal before breakfast and not have it spoil their day, I was kind of hoping someone like them might see this as a way to re-circulate some of the money that the rest of us are paying for with the interest on our debts and buy my bike! Indirectly, the full £40k will go back into the system and save the ordinary taxpayer because, if I go bankrupt, the remaining taxpayers will be directly and indirectly picking up the tab for £40k that the nice men at the tax office/bank/credit card will be rubbing off what I owe them, and the bill will go back to all the other poor sods with enough problems of their own while I go into hibernation until it's all over!

All I've done for 13-years is work my nuts off building a reputation as the best therapist in London whilst earning less than a trainee manager at your local 'Prat-for-a-Manager' coffee shop, helping hundreds of people get their lives back where no-one else could and helping a growing number of cyclists ride faster than they ever thought possible. Now a lot of people can't afford to see me for treatment and no one can afford to buy my possessions on ebay, both of which have made a huge contribution to my rather nasty personal debt of - you guessed it - £40k.

So, if it would make your day to keep me working helping everyone else and re-circulate some of the profit you're still making at everyone else's expense, buy my bike! A minor pre-breakfast blip that you wouldn't even notice for you, a whole new life for me and £40k less for everyone else to pay in tax.

If you're looking for a 'his-and-hers' purchase, we're trying to sell my girlfriends bike so I'll throw hers in too! And if you don't actually need the bike, just pay for it and I'll donate it to someone who can't afford it but would love to have it, with your compliments. In a fair world etc etc . . .

Go on, you know you want to!

If you're not a banker or a property developer but know any with a good sense of humour, send them a link to this auction, maybe they'd have a good laugh too. Thanks for reading

I've taken the text about the bike out now as I'm sure most of the 2700+ people who've had a look aren't actually interested in the bike. But if you are, let me know and I'll send you the full spec, the photos do a good job.

more: . .

I could carry on ranting about the distinction/relationship between interest, profit, investment, greed and suffering for a long time but I think I'm up against most peoples boredom threshold already so, suffice that you rarely get one without the other. Starts to make you kind of angry when all you see in London is adverts saying "Get more profit with us". Parasites!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yeti-ARC-Hardtail-Mtb-BANKERS-AND-PROPERTY-DEVELOPERS-ONLY-/250926800928?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3a6c672020#ht_3227wt_1179

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/171657-bankers-and-property-developers-only/

Although I think he sold it for £2,000 in the end, when it was relisted.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Great value - but I don't rate avid hydraulics. Nightmare to bleed and prone to sticking. Although I maybe just got unlucky.

Yep nightmare to bleed and unreliable, I switched out the avids that came with my specialized enduro for shimano xt as soon as I got it. Sram dropped the avid name for their top end brakes last year as they had such a bad rep.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

All useful info to me. And from another HPC thread a recommendation for schwalbe marathon plus tires.

I've got a pair of those in the garage waiting to get put on when I can summon up the strength. The last time I mounted puncture resistant tyres, my muscles were bulging like Popeye and I was *breaking tyre levers*!

HOLA4418

I've got a pair of those in the garage waiting to get put on when I can summon up the strength. The last time I mounted puncture resistant tyres, my muscles were bulging like Popeye and I was *breaking tyre levers*!

I used to do that until a Pal showed me a great YouTube video. Now I can do it without any levers at all - honest. I was shocked.

HOLA4419

Archived