House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonguest

Cold Winter Alert (Yawn)

...it must be true - cos it's in the Mirror. Don't these apocalyptic 'cry wolf' non-event weather stories only get reported in the Express?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britain-set-white-christmas-36-6659114?ICID=FB_mirror_main

That said, however, it has provided a gentle reminder that I am leaving it a bit later than I normally do to get all the various winter preparation chores done/checked.

Buy Socks! I have no connection with the "Sock Council" :blink:

That's pretty impressive....considering how hot it is under all those studio lights.

So she wasn't cold was just turned on....

Who was she interviewing

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/632611/UK-Weather-Snow-snowbomb-red-alert-UK-coldest-winter-58-years

Blistering Polar gales, several feet of snow and near-record low temperatures will grind the country to a standstill until MARCH, forecasters warn.

The first taste of what could be a historic whiteout will arrive THIS WEEKEND as freezing winds drive in from Siberia and the North Pole.

Parts of Britain has experienced the first of the snow coverings today as sheets of snow covered Cumbria as the region attempted to recover from devastating floods over the Christmas and New Year period which put thousands of homes under water.

Britain is on alert for the week-long winter blast to unleash widespread heavy snow and -13C (8.6F) temperatures.

The bitter spell is forecast to last through next week bringing harsh frosts, snow and ice across the length and breadth of the UK.

It has sparked warnings to expect chaos on the roads while communities are urged to keep an eye on the elderly and vulnerable.

Flood-hit Scotland is braced for up to two feet of snow to plunge the region into more misery as the mercury nosedives to -10C.

If things play out as long-range forecasts suggest, the current mild winter could end in one of the coldest spells for 50 years.

Weather models show the ENTIRE COUNTRY blanketed in deep snow by the end of THIS MONTH with heavy falls as far south as London.

Best give more government money to old people to heat their unused family sized homes

The elderly owners of this place are apparently in borderline fuel-poverty: tip over the edge if conditions are difficult.

63b3808e799bbaaed64abb7187de3857.jpg

"Brutal winter" - it must be it's been worse than last year's which was the worst since records began :lol::lol::lol:

Mind you they still have a few weeks to come right :lol:

I'm taking the risk and not buying stuff as a result of the headline.

Well, all that increased broadcasting and internet news available 24/7 has to be filled somehow. The weather is a stalwart filler in our new 24/7 world where creating drama helps to get viewers or web hits.

E.g. Storm Frank attracted Sky News and perhaps others to the flooding at Whitesands Dumfries. This type of flooding is a common event at Whitesands and is usually only local news!

I'm not flooded yet! It has been wet, and the river looks high! I think Scotlandshire has had it worser!

Winter finally arrives! Arctic blast is set to send temperatures plunging to -11C on Tuesday as rain and floods turn to ice
2FFB24AE00000578-0-image-a-57_1452431498

The Met Office has weather warnings out for 70mph winds, more than 1.5 inches of rain and two inches of snow for parts of the UK today. And flooding is expected in northern areas that have already been battered by storms Desmond, Eva and Frank over the past five weeks. Today many parts of the Scottish Borders and Northumberland woke up to a sheet of white snow, which is likely to stay for at least a few days. This week temperatures will plunge to below freezing with -11C possible over the highest peaks of Scotland such as the Cairngorms.

The Wail joins the message.

I apologise for the unusually warm weather so far this winter.

Last spring I had a log burner installed, bought three fantastically warm winter jackets, and ordered in a half a ton of house coal, thus ensuring the temperature in the south east of England will not drop below 10C for the next 5 years.

I am sorry.

I apologise for the unusually warm weather so far this winter.

Last spring I had a log burner installed, bought three fantastically warm winter jackets, and ordered in a half a ton of house coal, thus ensuring the temperature in the south east of England will not drop below 10C for the next 5 years.

I am sorry.

Done the same. Big overcoat I will not need! :unsure:

Sheets of snow covered Cumbria? Thought my parents would've mentioned that when I spoke to them earlier, seeing as they live there. I suppose there could've been a dusting on the felltops.

Coal fires...? Luxury I'm not allowed in the former mining area I live in as it's a smokeless-zone nowadays...!

Yes, you read that right. I live in a North-east pit village - and we can't actually burn coal anymore.

Who'd have thunk it...?

XYY

Guest eight

Coal fires...? Luxury I'm not allowed in the former mining area I live in as it's a smokeless-zone nowadays...!

Yes, you read that right. I live in a North-east pit village - and we can't actually burn coal anymore.

Who'd have thunk it...?

XYY

I never got that bit in Billy Elliot where they chop up the piano for firewood. I mean, there's a massive seam of coal right below them, why not just dig some of that up?