House Price Crash Forum

Mcdonald's Is Facing A 'deep Depression' And Could Be In Its 'final Days'

You are right of course......but what stops people from doing what you suggest?

To cook you require a kitchen....you require a workable clean kitchen....you require an oven...you require all the utensils, pots and pans and space to store them....you require a fridges or space in a fridge and a freezer....you require money in the meter....you require time.....you require money available all times of the month to buy sometimes in bulk when there are deals available.......then you require transport to get your bargains home....then you require knowledge, ability and commitment.

Easier for growing numbers to grab something on the run and pay a hefty price for something of inferior quality......£5 can buy a nice joint, roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables to feed four....easier said than done for some.

Edit to say: thinking about it there is definitely a correlation between looking after your own children and shopping and preparing your own meals.....jobs depend on people paying for others to do what they can do for better.

This is a good point - coincidence that housing is now poxy units that require people to live fast in the debt ridden consumer lifestyle? I could actually see kitchens becoming a luxury within a few generations. That said, I would assume the fresh/supermarket turnover to be vastly more than the service sector in terms of GDP at present.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noone picking up on my point the market entirely disagrees with all this negative sentiment with all time high share price. But hey what does the market know?

WSJ 25/8/15

'For starters, the burger giant derives huge revenue from its real estate. Rental income from franchisees accounted for more than a fifth of McDonald’s $27.4 billion in total revenue last year—when overall revenue fell 2.4% and profit dropped 15%—and represents a growing part of its business. Rent payments from franchisees have risen 26% over the past five years to $6.1 billion last year.

Sara Senatore, an analyst at Sanford Bernstein who has studied McDonald’s real estate, estimates its world-wide property, including the U.S., is worth more than $42 billion. In the U.S. alone, home to more than 14,000 McDonald’s restaurants, she estimates that the company’s real estate is worth between $25 billion and $35 billion. McDonald’s current market value is around $87.5 billion after the recent broad market downturn.'

Edited by Sancho Panza

This is a good point - coincidence that housing is now poxy units that require people to live fast in the debt ridden consumer lifestyle? I could actually see kitchens becoming a luxury within a few generations. That said, I would assume the fresh/supermarket turnover to be vastly more than the service sector in terms of GDP at present.

Cooking at home is more expensive than most people factor in because they don't account for the cost of a new kitchen, new appliances, power and cutlery, fuel and time spent shopping. 10k on a new kitchen every 15 years buys you an awful lot of chips.

You might say that's taking it to extremes, but if someone did a profit calculation on BTL and left out the maintenance charges people on here would be up in arms.

Cooking at home is more expensive than most people factor in because they don't account for the cost of a new kitchen, new appliances, power and cutlery, fuel and time spent shopping. 10k on a new kitchen every 15 years buys you an awful lot of chips.

You might say that's taking it to extremes, but if someone did a profit calculation on BTL and left out the maintenance charges people on here would be up in arms.

Because of delapidations BTL only really works with capital appreciation because the yield is virtually non existent once you factor in everything. Home ownership only works over renting for the same reasons. Of course it has bombed spectacularly north of Watford these last ten years with zero movement (be it down and then recovered), renters have been quids in.

Edited by crashmonitor

You don`t need a new kitchen to cook cheap nutritious meals though?

Ok fitted kitchens are grossly overpriced and provide not much in the way utility.

Chuck in some cheapish Ikea storage.

Put a hob in.

Maybe chuck in a pressure cooker and slow cooker and you're sorted.

I blame whatsherface as well, Nigella, she is part of the ramping conspiracy too......

Jamie Oliver's worse. I swear I saw him put £25 worth of fresh herbs in a "fifteen minute meal" once every single time.

£10k on a new kitchen every 15 years.....what planet are you on?.......the clever are those who fit the condemned/skipable perfectly workable kitchen the wastefully affluent throw out, not because it is not fit for purpose but because it is not the 'in' colour, fashion or material.....granite worktops don't make you a better cook.......the more you use it, the more you get out of it, the more economical it becomes.....not rocket science. ;)

Jamie Oliver's worse. I swear I saw him put £25 worth of fresh herbs in a "fifteen minute meal" once every single time.

TV chefs on the whole are terribly wasteful Keith Floyd in particular springs to mind, never used everything, always left/wasted something......the posh chefs also tend to use very expensive and extravagant rich ingredients, foods most people would never use let alone could afford to buy....someone must be paying the bill, indirectly the people watching the programme no doubt. ;)

Edited by winkie

If you don't spend £10K on a new kitchen every 15 years, you won't be getting any xes. And you've got to buy a detached house as you first house too, or you'll be a looooser forever. Especially if you are still catching the bus at 18. Forget a silver spoon. Better be born with a BMW these days.

£10k on a new kitchen every 15 years.....what planet are you on?.......the clever are those who fit the condemned/skipable perfectly workable kitchen the wastefully affluent throw out, not because it is not fit for purpose but because it is not the 'in' colour, fashion or material.....granite worktops don't make you a better cook.......the more you use it, the more you get out of it, the more economical it becomes.....not rocket science. ;)

Don't forget the pots and pans as well.

I do most things in a slow cooker and a microwave. Not 'ready meals' either.

Remind me not to come round for dinner ...

You can do a cheap + quick kitchen by buying 1) a stand alone induction hob 2) Pressure cooker 3) remoska 4) slow cooker.

My father was a food snob.

In his latter years I took him to a road side burger van where we ordered bacon and eggs.

Having spent god knows how much on posh restaurants and hotels, he was amazed to see the cook take fresh bacon, break an egg etc. in front of him.

He had expected something dreadful, but was utterly delighted by the experience.

Remind me not to come round for dinner ...

You can do a cheap + quick kitchen by buying 1) a stand alone induction hob 2) Pressure cooker 3) remoska 4) slow cooker.

Lidl were doing single ring ones for £25. I bought one to use while the kitchen is being relocated. It's a revelation - I use it for almost everything now. We have a nice Ikea one waiting to be installed in the new setup.

Don't forget the pots and pans as well.

Easy to pick up adequate pans from a local charity shop £3 or so until something better becomes available......we now live in a world of excess stuff...make the most of others cast offs and throw aways while you can.

The times I have been to a place for something to eat....looked at the menu and can honestly say there is nothing on there I would enjoy eating, look at the price they are asking and that further puts a damper on the whole experience....I can't be the only one.

Share more, waste less.....spicy pumpkin soup, never waste a pumpkin.... 50p each in one of the better supermarkets.

Edited by winkie

The times I have been to a place for something to eat....looked at the menu and can honestly say there is nothing on there I would enjoy eating, look at the price they are asking and that further puts a damper on the whole experience....I can't be the only one.

My girlfriend goes mad when ever we go out because I will moan constantly about being ripped off. £6 for a glass of wine when they probably paid £3 for the bottle at a push.

We used to have several Wimpys in Swansea which always made you a quality burger - nice toasted bun, good burger, good covering of salad and sauce.

Then MacDs came along and drove them all out of business. The end result we went from quality to quantity IMPO.

Would be more than happy for MacDs to go under but I doubt it. In the US it looks as if it has become the bastion of those seeking cheap food and sugary drinks - perhaps it is the same in the UK. They seem to have spent 20 or 30 years going down-market from what I can see.

There was a Wimpys in the town I grew up. Not sure if it still exists. McDonalds came along around 2000 or 2001. But I do remember once in mid 1990s, my mum gave me and my brother some money (probably £20 for 4 of us) to get a takeaway from Wimpys and it wasn't enough!

Might there actually be more competition in the US? The have other chains not found in European, like Wendys, and probably loads of other lesser known ones.

We used to have several Wimpys in Swansea which always made you a quality burger - nice toasted bun, good burger, good covering of salad and sauce.

Then MacDs came along and drove them all out of business. The end result we went from quality to quantity IMPO.

Would be more than happy for MacDs to go under but I doubt it. In the US it looks as if it has become the bastion of those seeking cheap food and sugary drinks - perhaps it is the same in the UK. They seem to have spent 20 or 30 years going down-market from what I can see.

I also liked a Wimpy for a change. They used brown buns and had a really nice sauce. But didn't Wimpy get bought by the UK owners of Burger King? I think all the counter service outlets were then converted to BKs about 1990. I liked BK, though, as well at the time so I wasn't too bothered. It seems a shame now. Wimpy also used to have serviced restaurants and some of these kept going under the Wimpy brand - in fact Googling shows there's still 88 of them.

Edited by oldsport