House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Mcdonald's Is Facing A 'deep Depression' And Could Be In Its 'final Days'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/mcdonalds-is-facing-a-deep-depression-and-could-be-in-its-final-days-say-us-franchise-owners-a6699056.html

McDonald's is facing a "deep depression" and could be in its "final days," according to some US franchise owners who were surveyed about the restaurant chain's recent performance.

In an attempt to shore up a slump, McDonald's introduced all-day breakfasts in its US stores, part of CEO Steve Easterbrook's 'turnaround plan' which also included digital ordering kiosks and other new menu items.

However, it seems like the new initiatives have simply caused headaches for restaurant operators, as they said in a survey conducted by analyst Mark Kalinowski.

"We are in the throes of a deep depression, and nothing is changing," wrote one franchisee.

I wonder if there also might be a problem of there being too many stores and too many cannibalising each other sales? Although the franchise model encourages this as the head office wins?

However I constantly see the £1.99 promotion on the back of bus tickets, does this indicate that the price increases have effected sales?

Do they own their stores?

Franchises I believe, which is why you have stores cannibalising each other. There was a documentary about this going on in the US (must have been 10 years ago now).

Same thing with Subways and probably various other food/drink outlets.

McDonald's has had its best days IMO...new, innovative, different, satisfying and quick....... So many other competitors out there now offering a better different outside the home food experience.....anyway healthy eating and living are fashionable nowadays especially with discerning parents.....one thing that might help is to improve the awful smell that engulfs you when entering the premises.

McDonald's has had its best days IMO...new, innovative, different, satisfying and quick....... So many other competitors out there now offering a better different outside the home food experience.....anyway healthy eating and living are fashionable nowadays especially with discerning parents.....one thing that might help is to improve the awful smell that engulfs you when entering the premises.

To be honest I'd rather have a burger and pint in spoons, than go to McDonalds.

To be honest I'd rather have a burger and pint in spoons, than go to McDonalds.

Pubs....more competition, they tend to do fast food well.... And yes, so would very many others as has become apparent...... To be honest fewer people I would say would go out of their way to visit a McDonald....it has become somewhat an emergency measure when absolutely starving and nothing else. Edited by winkie

One morning i had to go to meeting at 9am. I was there early as normal so i went in to mcdonald and they did not have anything i liked.

I walked over the road to burger van and bacon sandwich from them instead and as the other person said i would prefere to go to spoons too

32 years ago, McDonalds was my ultimate childhood treat. Everybody knew that red headed clown back in his heyday. Today, my six year old doesn't even know what McDonald's is, which is a very encouraging sign - I did take him just one time when he was four, but he wasn't keen on the food and ate about a quarter of the burger.

I recall when McDonald's was starting to go down the plughole a number of years back. With the help of a big PR drive, they reinvented themselves with relatively "healthier" food. No doubt they'll try another big PR stunt, but I suspect they are in their death throes. I for one won't mourn the death of that clown and his chemicals that pass for food.

their buns leave a metallic taste in my mouth..and one isnt enough, its almost like there is something in the food to leave you unsatisfied and addicted.

I eat meat only rarely so my viists have been about once in the last decade.

The clincher for me is the ambience, kids, clowns and plastic tables.

Seriously who likes this unless you are about six.

I admit I do actually like a McDonalds now and again... but I'm always struck but how slow and inefficient they appear to be whenever I do go in there, considering they're generally regarded as a supposd example of ruthless corporate efficiency and greed.

I often find there will be only 2 or 3 people waiting for their food whilst there are at least 7 or 8 people behind the counter... yet I can still be waiting 10 minutes or more just for a cheeseburger and fries.

McDonalds is going to be in for a rough time for a number of reasons methinks.

1. The minimum wage farce both here and over the pond.

2. Lack of value for money. Up until the 2008 crash McDonalds was always reasonably cheap and was always the poor mans Burger King when comparing quality. In the late 90's / early - mid 00's a large big mac meal would cost just under £4. It has now crept up to just under £6. Strangley though Burger Kings prices have barely moved to the point where if you can afford a Mcdonalds nowadays you would be better off going to Burger King instead.

3. The quality of food has started to go down hill. New franchises are using new cost cutting kitchen procedures which involve storing alot of food in hot cabinets instead of cooking fresh to order, resulting in lukewarm burgers containing cheese that wont even melt. Existing franchises are also being pressured to adopt these new practices aswell resulting in only one McDonalds locally that still cooks to order.

4. Store saturation that doesnt make sense. Recently a new McDonalds opened up in Swindon, its less than 5 mins drive on the the same section of ring road from another that has been there decades.

I had my first McDonalds in a couple of years the other day.

I was had a train leaving in 15 minutes time and the choices were a McDonalds or about 3 sit down restaurants (why do all redeveloped London train stations have Oyster bars?)

It was tasty enough but considering a BigMac, Fries and a drink came to WELL over 1000 calories I was still pretty hungry afterwards. On my 6 month of dieting earlier this year I think a main meal averaged about 700 calories and was vastly more filling.

We got sucked in by a half price voucher about two years ago, as I previously said the only visit in recent memory.

The thinly cut chips struck me as being a bit dry and I think I had it with a fillet o fish burger. Salad and vegetables are virtually non existent on the menu. Plus as previously mentioned a zero out of ten for ambience, and I think the papers on offer were the Mirror and Sun to rub it in.

A rather depressing visit, that wasn't worth it at half price even.

We used to have several Wimpys in Swansea which always made you a quality burger - nice toasted bun, good burger, good covering of salad and sauce.

Then MacDs came along and drove them all out of business. The end result we went from quality to quantity IMPO.

Would be more than happy for MacDs to go under but I doubt it. In the US it looks as if it has become the bastion of those seeking cheap food and sugary drinks - perhaps it is the same in the UK. They seem to have spent 20 or 30 years going down-market from what I can see.

McDonalds is going to be in for a rough time for a number of reasons methinks.

1. The minimum wage farce both here and over the pond.

2. Lack of value for money. Up until the 2008 crash McDonalds was always reasonably cheap and was always the poor mans Burger King when comparing quality. In the late 90's / early - mid 00's a large big mac meal would cost just under £4. It has now crept up to just under £6. Strangley though Burger Kings prices have barely moved to the point where if you can afford a Mcdonalds nowadays you would be better off going to Burger King instead.

3. The quality of food has started to go down hill. New franchises are using new cost cutting kitchen procedures which involve storing alot of food in hot cabinets instead of cooking fresh to order, resulting in lukewarm burgers containing cheese that wont even melt. Existing franchises are also being pressured to adopt these new practices aswell resulting in only one McDonalds locally that still cooks to order.

4. Store saturation that doesnt make sense. Recently a new McDonalds opened up in Swindon, its less than 5 mins drive on the the same section of ring road from another that has been there decades.

wow didnt know that..part of their policy used to be sticking those numbers on the prepared ready for sale slides above the warmer..if it wasnt sold in a sort time, it was thrown away...so you always got something reasonably just cooked..

These days, I love burgers...I buy a 6 oz of varying contents (beef, lamb and mint, pork and onion amongst several others) for £1each, a set of 4 brioche burger buns and grill on the table with a small table grill, and really, you dont need much else.

They are satisfying, healthy and tasty. for about £1.30 plus leccy and any thing else you might want to top them with.

Edited by Bloo Loo

These days, I love burgers...I buy a 6 oz of varying contents (beef, lamb and mint, pork and onion amongst several others) for £1each, a set of 4 brioche burger buns and grill on the table with a small table grill, and really, you dont need much else.

They are satisfying, healthy and tasty. for about £1.30 plus leccy and any thing else you might want to top them with.

Yes, homemade burgers are very nutrious for you if you use the right ingredients.

Ultimately, their product is terrible

Indeed, I mean I actually like the odd burger but mcd only seem to sell ones fit for children (I think their largest one is about the size of a burger king junior). Infact the last time I went to mcd I was so disgusted with the tiny size of the burger I didnt even bother eating it, I just binned it and went to find the nearest BK.

Apparently they're another retail outlet in the property business owning many sites and they're also landlords to businesses on the land surrounding their outlets. So if they/their franchises are going bust (seems a bit unlikely though) then it could add momentum to a land/property price decline if they start to sell off/close some outlets.

Edited by billybong

wow didnt know that..part of their policy used to be sticking those numbers on the prepared ready for sale slides above the warmer..if it wasnt sold in a sort time, it was thrown away...so you always got something reasonably just cooked..

The metal number things were for times to throw things out. You could keep something hot for 10 minutes tops. F'o'F we rarely had any cooked ready except at peak times. the rest of the time we cooked them to order. In evenings you could estimate a rush about half ten so we'd do a few things but to keep waste to a minimum we'd avoid cooking stuff.

The old food went into red bins which got counted.

I worked there when we were breaking £100 hours at lunchtime. I imagine it's a lot easier these days.

The store I worked at was clean, efficient, well run and everyone got trained to do stuff properly. The rules were kept to. I still remember the store number. :)