House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

Creating Music For Total Beginners

About a year ago I had a dream in which I was at a club and there was a track playing.

I seem to have been able to commit this track to memory. It is not a track that exists. I must have invented it in the dream. I do have dreams like this, where I can recall them so vividly, like a movie. They seem to coincide with particular periods of my life.

I've never created any music before. This is an electronic dance track. The general thrust of it is a bassline and a synth melody, no vocals, mercifully. I can't really sing, so it's just as well.

What could I download that would enable me, as a total beginner, if I throw enough time at it, to lay down that track from memory to my computer without committing a significant amount of cash and see if this is rather unexpected hobby which might grow - not into a chart single, but to something that I could become competent enough to enjoy and indulge in?

There are a number of 100% free programs out there, but they tend to be rather difficult for the newbie to both set-up and use.

Try the demo of FL Studio 12 by Image Line Software, I'd say it was by far the easiest to make sounds from the get-go, especially electronic music

About a year ago I had a dream in which I was at a club and there was a track playing.

I seem to have been able to commit this track to memory. It is not a track that exists. I must have invented it in the dream. I do have dreams like this, where I can recall them so vividly, like a movie. They seem to coincide with particular periods of my life.

I've never created any music before. This is an electronic dance track. The general thrust of it is a bassline and a synth melody, no vocals, mercifully. I can't really sing, so it's just as well.

What could I download that would enable me, as a total beginner, if I throw enough time at it, to lay down that track from memory to my computer without committing a significant amount of cash and see if this is rather unexpected hobby which might grow - not into a chart single, but to something that I could become competent enough to enjoy and indulge in?

could try cubase.

As it's a dance track I'd assume it mainly consists of loops. I'd suggest Garage Band (iPad/Mac) or Magix Music Maker (Windows). Both very affordable too.

Know how you feel Mark - I dreamt a complete symphony a couple of years ago and remember being able to pinpoint every instrument during the dream - I'm not into classical music - quite bizarre. Buggered if I can remember it now though!

Good luck - post it on here when you're done!

Cubase is great, it's not as difficult as you'd think. Acid pros probably a bit easier to get to grips with though.

If you want to go balls out, get propellerhead reason with a rewire into cubase.

I'd probably start with a stylaphone and a dictaphone though!

I think everyone is using cakewalk these days. Dance music has been massively, massively democratised and it's fairly straight forward to get a label to pick up a track.

There is a steep learning curve, but I know guys who have never picked up an instrument in their lives who are banging out passable trance left, right and centre.

http://www.reaper.fm

Free unless you want to donate, full featured sequencer. Backward compatible with VST plugins, (free one's are available).

I've heard very good things about it although I've not used it myself as I'm a Cubase veteran...

I look forward to seeing the replies here - I'm not traditionally an electronic music fan but I also have one dance track in mind that I'd like to knock up, and the ability to write whole tracks without having to pick up a single guitar is interesting.

I have a couple of friends that are DJs - one that has some of his stuff used for Sky Sports - he uses Logic (although thats only available for Mac)...another one is Propellerhead Reason. Many of the professional DJs & producers use Pro Tools..

https://www.propellerheads.se/reason

http://www.apple.com/uk/logic-pro/

http://www.avid.com/UK/products/family/Pro-Tools

For recording Guitars, these are supposed to be good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCG102-USB-Guitar-Link/dp/B000PAPO9W

If you want to use a "traditional" sequencer (like Duran Duran, Peter Gabriel, Pet Shop Boys or Kate Bush) used in the 80s, you can get a Fairlight app for iPad..

http://petervogelinstruments.com.au/ios/

Isn't the mind at rest an amazing thing. I too have composed whole songs whilst semi-conscious. I also solved a nuclear fission problem that I was unable to do when I was awake!

I've crapped myself! :wacko:

Kekulé, who worked out the structure of the benzene ring in 1865, claimed that the solution came to him in a dream:

"Atoms were gamboling before my eyes, twisting and twining in snakelike motion."

Kekulé, who worked out the structure of the benzene ring in 1865, claimed that the solution came to him in a dream:

"Atoms were gamboling before my eyes, twisting and twining in snakelike motion."

I think he was dreaming of doughnuts, and wanted to be a policeman.

Got a midi keyboard and Cakewalk ages ago. Tried it with a decent midi soundcard on a dedicated pc, switched off all unused services etc, only installed the application and operating system. Spent ages pratting about with the drivers.

Could never get the latency low enough to hear what I played, when I played it. Gave up.

Sorry OP, I realise that doesn't help.

How about Dance Ejay?

Got a midi keyboard and Cakewalk ages ago. Tried it with a decent midi soundcard on a dedicated pc, switched off all unused services etc, only installed the application and operating system. Spent ages pratting about with the drivers.

Could never get the latency low enough to hear what I played, when I played it. Gave up.

Sorry OP, I realise that doesn't help.

How about Dance Ejay?

ASIO for all?

http://www.asio4all.com/

The opening music of Wagner's Rheingold (the prologue opera in the Ring cycle) famously came to him in a dream.

I use Cubase - did a music course and have the hang of it. Need a decent sound card - I have Audigy Elite. PC isn't the best but get decent results. Find some VST plug-ins and have a go.

Remember to back stuff up... save the MIDI files as audio when you're done. Make a note of sounds used! Things can get reset - don't be complacent!