House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pipllman

Twitter Event By Hmrc For Landlords Tue 20Th 1800 - 2100

I think I need to get a twitter account just so I can witness the spectacle. Or even fire a few well aimed HPC arrows if any misguided 118 crap emerges.

Er, how does twitter work for this sort of thing? I don't need to register with and HMRC or landlord forum first? Actually, how does twitter work full stop?

I think I need to get a twitter account just so I can witness the spectacle. Or even fire a few well aimed HPC arrows if any misguided 118 crap emerges.

Er, how does twitter work for this sort of thing? I don't need to register with and HMRC or landlord forum first? Actually, how does twitter work full stop?

I think you just need to set up a Twitter account, and then during the event (6-9pm on 20 October) search for "#UKlandlords" to read all the messages from both HMRC and landlords that are part of the event. If you want to add your own messages you just write a Tweet and include #UKlandlords within the message.

This link may or may not connect you to the #UKlandlords live feed:

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=%23UKlandlords&src=typd

You'll also be able to read everything tagged with #UKlandlords after the event, once it's posted on Twitter it doesn't go away.

Edited by Dorkins

4088bccb_simpsons_nelson_haha1-1.jpeg

[pics of multiple big name BTLers whining on the 118/PT forums]

might be worth a look for those interested in such matters

CRbHoBcUwAQ6Jbb.png

@HMRCcustomers

Haha 'To Let'- the landlord is suffering a void.

Edited by Venger

As of course the BTLers will do if they try hiking rents on tenants high,

to try and counter their increased costs (tax relief and finance changes).

What a graphic to use. :)

This sounds like an internet version of that consultation thing that Mark Alexander was invited to. It's just a way of helping landlords get acclimatised to the new policy landscape they'll be experiencing. On the other end there will be some junior civil servant (who pays 40% of his net wage to live in a London HMO) copy-pasting phrases from an approved press release.

HMRCcustomers@HMRCcustomers 6m

#UKlandlords In the first 7 months of 2015 approximately 48,000 new landlords have registered for self-assessment with HMRC

HMRCcustomers@HMRCcustomers 4m

#UKlandlords 73% of landlords who are registered for self-assessment are in PAYE employment

HMRCcustomers

#UKlandlords 78% of landlords let only 1 or 2 properties. This group is also least likely to have an accountant/agent

HMRCcustomers

#UKlandlords The Let Property Campaign has so far helped over 10,000 landlords bring their tax affairs up to date.

HMRCcustomers@HMRCcustomers 27s

#UKlandlords With total revenue of over £50m so far, the Let Property Campaign is one of HMRC’s most successful campaigns

0 retweets0 favorites
Edited by pipllman

HMRCcustomers@HMRCcustomers 4m

#UKlandlords 73% of landlords who are registered for self-assessment are in PAYE employment

Oh dear

HMRCcustomers

#UKlandlords 78% of landlords let only 1 or 2 properties. This group is also least likely to have an accountant/agent

There could well be a lot of rude awakenings with two stats like that

Can someone ask HMRC how many homes in the UK do landlords disclose to the tax authorities versus the estimated total number out there? How many are they short?

Somebody asked this question during the Twitter event but HMRC chose not to answer.

I really hope they go after this lot and ease of contractors a bit. At least contractors submit their accounts and leave it up to HMRC to get involved and start questions or not. By the looks of it - I reckon most 1-2 house landlords - and this is clearly the vast majority - probably just dont declare any income at all and are entirely outside the system in terms of their 'lettings'.

This lot are sitting ducks for the taxman to actively go after.

Agreed. It should be so easy.

Yes. Hello Mr Land Registry, this is Mrs HMRC. Will you send me over a list of names of people with more than one property please?

A quick sift through said list and Bob, as they say, is your uncle.

Yes. Hello Mr Land Registry, this is Mrs HMRC. Will you send me over a list of names of people with more than one property please?

A quick sift through said list and Bob, as they say, is your uncle.

I wonder whether these sort of amnesty-type events are being wheeled out on the basis that behind the scenes they know about thousands of homes they are waiting to nail. I bet an afternoon browsing lettings listings on Rightmove/Streetview would turn up plenty without much difficulty either.