House Price Crash Forum

How The Boom Happened.

apom

HOLA441

Seller:

"Look this is fabulous, I bought this property a year ago.. and now I am selling it to you for £30,000 more then I paid for it.. I have made £30,000 in a year."

Buyer:

"This is great.. That means that I can make £30,000 this year from this property to... This is magic.. Amazing no one thought of this before.. This can go on for ever and ever.. I never knew that property could go up in value so fast.... Here's a big wad of money"

Seller:

"Thank you very much, you won't regret this.. All you need to do is wait and sell and you can be rich beyond your wildest dreams.. Its flawless.. Its easy.. The amount I have made here will pay the deposits against two properties "

Edited by apom

HOLA442

Your post immediately reminded me of this.

Baldrick: Permission to ask a question, sir...

Edmund: Permission granted, Baldrick, as long as isn't the one about where babies come from.

Baldrick: No, the thing is: The way I see it, these days there's a war on, right? and, ages ago, there wasn't a war on, right? So, there must have been a moment when there not being a war on went away, right? and there being a war on came along. So, what I want to know is: How did we get from the one case of affairs to the other case of affairs?

Edmund: Do you mean "How did the war start?"

Baldrick: Yeah.

George: The war started because of the vile Hun and his villainous empire-building.

Edmund: George, the British Empire at present covers a quarter of the globe, while the German Empire consists of a small sausage factory in Tanganyika. I hardly think that we can be entirely absolved of blame

on the imperialistic front.

George: Oh, no, sir, absolutely not. (aside, to Baldick) Mad as a bicycle!

Baldrick: I heard that it started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry.

Edmund: I think you mean it started when the Archduke of Austro-Hungary got shot.

Baldrick: Nah, there was definitely an ostrich involved, sir.

Edmund: Well, possibly. But the real reason for the whole thing was that it was too much effort *not* to have a war.

George: By (Gum? [it's not `God']) this is interesting; I always loved history -- The Battle of Hastings, Henry VIII and his six knives, all that.

Edmund: You see, Baldrick, in order to prevent war in Europe, two superblocs developed: us, the French and the Russians on one side, and the Germans and Austro-Hungary on the other. The idea was to have two

vast opposing armies, each acting as the other's deterrent. That way there could never be a war.

Baldrick: But this is a sort of a war, isn't it, sir?

Edmund: Yes, that's right. You see, there was a tiny flaw in the plan.

George: What was that, sir?

Edmund: It was ********.

Baldrick: So the poor old ostrich died for nothing.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445