House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Another Humanitarian Crisis

http://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2015/oct/16/homeless-children-dying-at-the-sharp-end-of-the-housing-crisis

Two stories in particular pull this into sharp aspect. In late September, two-month-old Donald, sleeping with his homeless parents in a car in Bournemouth, died during the night. The parents had approached two councils for help but were told they did not qualify for emergency accommodation. This week, Warwickshire county council published the findings of a serious case review that saw a 10-week-old premature baby named in the review as “John” die on the night his parents were evicted from their housing association home.

Things aren't always black and white. What were the second couple evicted from a HA house for?

"most vulnerable families" are often vulnerable because of issues with drugs, drink, mental health. Things there should be support for. Sometimes they've vulnerable because as a housing officer I knew said "they're unable to manage their own affairs"

The first couple had been evicted ... well legally she was evicted if she was the only one renting it .. "After being evicted from the property Jane had been renting, the couple stayed in B&Bs"
The couple are understood to have returned to Kent where the local authority reportedly housed them in a B&B before baby Donald died.
So the rather misleading top line is there to make you think the baby died in a car...

In the past children of families being evicted were put into care.

two deaths are a statistic....unless they are a Lion whose been on the telly nobody cares...nobody can quantify how many are needed for the SJWs to care, but Facebook is flooded with pictures of babies getting operations to be shared to raise a prayer.

I dont understand it...you have people dying up the street, but you get all mushy over a kid you dont even have a remote possibility of meeting or influencing your life.

As you say Sarah the definition of "vulnerable" is so wide and meaningless that it now encompasses both criminals and their victims.

I thought taking children into care after an eviction was common, obviously not.

HAs very rarely evict anybody and if they do it is after a long process where the tenant will have been given every chance not to be evicted. The people who suffer all through this process are their neighbours who will be having their lives destroyed by the family from hell.

As you say Sarah the definition of "vulnerable" is so wide and meaningless that it now encompasses both criminals and their victims.

I thought taking children into care after an eviction was common, obviously not.

HAs very rarely evict anybody and if they do it is after a long process where the tenant will have been given every chance not to be evicted. The people who suffer all through this process are their neighbours who will be having their lives destroyed by the family from hell.

This last bit is sort of my point - this is a family who should have had opportunities to be helped but have ended up homeless from HA property. The reason they generally don't get any help with being rehoused is because of rent arrears - and if you're on benefits then the HB should have been sorted.

The HO I knew used to spend far too much time chasing people for filling in HB forms - because even when no circs have changed people needed to reapply. I imagine the bureaucracy hasn't improved much since I last spoke to him many years ago.

two deaths are a statistic....unless they are a Lion whose been on the telly nobody cares...nobody can quantify how many are needed for the SJWs to care, but Facebook is flooded with pictures of babies getting operations to be shared to raise a prayer.

I dont understand it...you have people dying up the street, but you get all mushy over a kid you dont even have a remote possibility of meeting or influencing your life.

I have been accused of being heartless for the latter. Of course I want people to be cured, rescued, survive etc. but I have no desire to emotionally involve myself in a tragic sob story with which I have zero connection.

Share if you want <insert name here> to get better.

I have been accused of being heartless for the latter. Of course I want people to be cured, rescued, survive etc. but I have no desire to emotionally involve myself in a tragic sob story with which I have zero connection.

Its almost a religion to some people...indeed, they ask for prayers from the sky god to make this/that child well.

IMHO, it was the sky god who made the baby that way, if you follow the logic of skygod through. It is humanity coping with disease that is the only hope for these victims of disease.

You cant say this though, because A: you are accused of dissing the child and B: because you have no heart. And yet, what I might say is the truth, and it is secular society that provides the only hope for these victims.

They are no muslims are they - no one cares. They do not tick the boxes and probably come slightly higher on the lists above homeless ex-soldiers.

There is scant information in either case to suggest either the background or religion of those involved in this sad state of affairs. They use made up names.

By the by as the councils have badly failed this infant..

"My thoughts are with the family" must be the most vacuous comment I see repeatedly on the internet.

There is scant information in either case to suggest either the background or religion of those involved in this sad state of affairs. They use made up names.

By the by as the councils have badly failed this infant..

Right, and the parents aren't to blame at all?

Right, and the parents aren't to blame at all?

I think there is a huge bit of the story untold.

Why do people get evicted from social housing?

Rent arrrears and ASB? Any other reason?

I think there is a huge bit of the story untold.

Why do people get evicted from social housing?

Rent arrrears and ASB? Any other reason?

The named tenant no longer being there (relationship split or death).

Breach of rules: subletting, keeping pets if not allowed and refusing to get rid of them.

"My thoughts are with the family" must be the most vacuous comment I see repeatedly on the internet.

and from Politicians.

action: send troops to do battle.

Effect: dead ones return, 10x more wounded ones returned.

Conclusion: NOW its time to announce our thoughts are with the families.

You are heartless if hearing or seeing a distant plight does not elicit the pain of sympathy. But the pain of sympathy does not, IMO, create a moral duty to act where distance or time means there is no connection.

I used to be more idealist but I've come to the view over the years that my efforts are more effective at preventing suffering when focussed on my family, my community, and those with whom I have close connection.

+1

What an earth had they done to get evicted from a HA property. I have been witness in a couple of HA evictions albeit back in 1997 and 1999 and in both cases the HA told me that their legal costs could have built another house.