House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Bye Bye To 1200 Jobs

This has been on the cards for a while now Scunthorpe is a plant that will feel the effects of Chinese overproduction far more than most due to its product range

It`s rail track line is probably the only one that's got any wriggle room

Edit: Celsa steel in Scunthorpe /Cardiff are the next dominos in the line

Edited by long time lurking

Don't forget the dumb carbon credits system. High energy industries such as steel and chemicals will shut down in the EU and relocate to developing countries where they won't be penalised.

This is one of the main reasons for sure ,Port Talbot is cutting production of the low grade steel because they will make a greater saving from carbon taxes than they are currently making profits from producing the low end material

Yes globalisation really impoverishes doesn;t it.

I'd far rather pay 100% tax so that plants can be subsidised and then I can pay more for goods bcos they're made in the UK

Capitalism would sort the problems out. #banbankbailouts #letmktsetrates But oh no blame capitalism even though we don't have it!!!

Edited by Killer Bunny

Yes globalisation really impoverishes doesn;t it.

I'd far rather pay 100% tax so that plants can be subsidised and then I can pay more for goods bcos they're made in the UK

Capitalism would sort the problems out. #banbankbailouts #letmktsetrates But oh no blame capitalism even though we don't have it!!!

In this case it`s not about subsidies it's about level playing fields energy costs and carbon taxes are the biggest hurdles this industry is facing

In this case it`s not about subsidies it's about level playing fields energy costs and carbon taxes are the biggest hurdles this industry is facing

Thank God for the EU. Labour is so right supporting it.

Thank God for the EU. Labour is so right supporting it.

Hey if it wasnt for the EU, we wouldnt get those helpful cookie warnings when visiting a new website for the first time - that alone is surely worth the £33 Million/day

Quite.

What exactly is the point of a carbon tax that simply closes a manufacturer in the UK, effectively offshores production to china, where carbon emissions will be far greater, forces it to be shipped back here (more emissions) and consumers inevitably choose the cheaper chinese version...cheaper not because of efficiency, but because of lower regulations in china.

Just call it what it is: Protectionism against ourselves. That and, oh, how very green. Emissions higher overall...but our gurning morons in parliament can say 'we did something, we acted'

Screw you, liblabcon bastards. You are regulating actual UK business out of existence by allowing unregulated foreign businesses to sell here.

We should trade with countries that have comparable regulatory burdens as us and tell Hunts wife and her buddies to go swivel.

Edited by Executive Sadman

Hey if it wasnt for the EU, we wouldnt get those helpful cookie warnings when visiting a new website for the first time - that alone is surely worth the £33 Million/day

I did like the website I visited once with 'We have been told to tell you we use cookies, but we're not quite sure why.....'

No difference as carbon tax is a EU policy and EU prevents unfair state aid.

The bank bailouts were against EU state aid rules, but it's OK because they had a special meeting and decided to wave that one through without any proper due diligence.

Found this comment on Reddit:

Using a throwaway because I don't really want to use my normal account.

I work there and tbh its absolutely no surprise (we'd all been told this in whispers at the start of the week) but I don't think its anything to do with the government and nothing the government can step in about.

Scunthorpe has been up for sale since last year, Tata want rid because its not making any money and hasn't for 3 years. Klesch was supposed to take over but when it was looked into it found out that (yet again) he didn't have the money he said he had and could in no way take it over and make it sustainable.

Tata decided to cut us adrift about a month again and Scunthorpe became its own company under Tata. We was told then we had 90 days to become profitable as at that point Tata wouldn't put any money into the accounts and we would be left to fend for ourselves

This is where we have got to today. The basics is our slab operation is shutting down, we lose money for every slab we send out (due to Russia, the middle east and China flooding the market with cheap slabs) so the idea is to stop that and focus on the things that are profitable (Tyrecord and Rail) but to do that the company needed to shrink. 1 mill closing, 1 caster closing and our semi finished products process closing is where the jobs are coming from to make the company profitable (and then sellable).

I don't think Scunthorpe is going the same way as SSI, they had much bigger problems than us, but Scunthorpe is basically cutting all its contingency plans with this in the hope we become a centre for Rail and Tyrecord. If either of those contracts goes abroad then it will get serious.

https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/3ozpgz/tata_steel_set_to_cut_1200_jobs/

Edited by workingpoor