House Price Crash Forum

Tax Credit Sad Face :-((((((

spyguy

HOLA441

I know its been mentioned on other threads. And I know there's been a few other stories, all of the same.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3275451/Shame-Tearful-mother-blasts-speechless-Tory-minister-Question-Time-tax-credits-cut.html

Why oh why oh why does someone - journalist perhaps??? - not ask the sad faced TCer the following:

1) How mnay hours do you work?

2) How much money - various tax credits, HB, etc do you receive in a month?

3) How much does the average UK worker earn?

All these sad faced people saying 'Im down 2k' would be terrible if they were only claiming ~6K.

They are not! Try 28K net FFS.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

From what she said it sounded like her main problem was that she wouldn't be able to pay her rent without tax credits. It's almost as if UK housing costs are too high.

The Establishment figures on the stage looked stunned. They have no idea how to fix 20 years of wages failing to keep pace with housing costs.

HOLA444

That's 'sad' face by the way.

There does to seem a coordinated campaign to put 'hard working mothers on tax credits' into the media.

Ask how much they take from the system!!!!!

As soon as the the general population - and there's a lot who do not grasp how much is being paid out - understands then tax credits will be rapidly dismembered.

HOLA445
HOLA446

The fact that tax credits exist at all is an indictment of the current system. Working, for many, is not lucrative enough by itself to a) make it significantly better than being jobless, or B) be able to afford housing and living costs.

Tax credits shouldn't exist. A working economy shouldn't need them.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

The fact that tax credits exist at all is an indictment of the current system. Working, for many, is not lucrative enough by itself to a) make it significantly better than being jobless, or b ) be able to afford housing and living costs.

Tax credits shouldn't exist. A working economy shouldn't need them.

I'm left leaning, generally, and a Labour voter (usually), and fully in support of a state provided safety net for those who need it.

However we are now in the position where people earning the median wage (or more) are in receipt of tens of thousands of pounds a year in state subsidies. It's nuts, and totally unsustainable of course. Just to be clear, I don't doubt for a minute that such people would find it very hard to cope on their wages alone - and this is the absolute nub of the problem (housing costs being the primary issue).

I sometimes think it would be better to just stop the tax credits completely and let people who can't make ends meet on wages alone quite their jobs and sign on. This way at least we could get an honest appraisal of just how screwed we are.

HOLA4410

You are going to take the money away from me and them

You are going to take more from me.

I guess plenty of tax payers funding the tax credits have been feeling pretty much the same especially those who don't qualify for such benefits and on lower incomes.

As an earlier poster mentioned at least some basic overall details should have been asked about the individual's circumstances and total income/total benefits etc.

As for Cameron telling lies on the subject. It's all been said before.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I'm left leaning, generally, and a Labour voter (usually), and fully in support of a state provided safety net for those who need it.

However we are now in the position where people earning the median wage (or more) are in receipt of tens of thousands of pounds a year in state subsidies. It's nuts, and totally unsustainable of course. Just to be clear, I don't doubt for a minute that such people would find it very hard to cope on their wages alone - and this is the absolute nub of the problem (housing costs being the primary issue).

I sometimes think it would be better to just stop the tax credits completely and let people who can't make ends meet on wages alone quite their jobs and sign on. This way at least we could get an honest appraisal of just how screwed we are.

People are FAR too focussed on the money coming in, rather than the obscene amounts going out to pay for necessities.

I wish people would direct as much anger at the housing bubble as they do at the proposal to cut tax credits.

HOLA4413

People are FAR too focussed on the money coming in, rather than the obscene amounts going out to pay for necessities.

I wish people would direct as much anger at the housing bubble as they do at the proposal to cut tax credits.

Correct. Get house prices (or rents) down by 50% and I will happily pay an extra 50% income tax. The odd penny on tax (or tax credit) here or there is irrelevant. a 30k per year person pays £6513 in tax/NI and I would assume about 12k (half net earnings) in rent. Save me 6k and you can have 3k more off me to run a proper country.. Everyone wins.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

She needs to get the rent cut. I remember when Gordy/Blair announced tax credits, and someone senior at HMRC dared to speak out against the extra burden it put on administering it all. Soon forgotten by the happy-shiny-people... more money money money and higher cost of living/house prices. Money; it never runs out. Now Conservatives having to show it does, and be unpopular, in the bubble of BTL and house prices.

post-date 2010.

Absolutely right. Why are people earning well in excess of £50,000 a year able to claim family tax credit? So that more people feel beholden to the State for their income.

Thatcher's failure was that she never broke that mindset despite never standing on a platform of buying millions of votes by increasing spending. Every election since has been won by the party prepared to offer the most outlandish promises.

There was a very good article in the FT a few days ago saying that in the past 2 weeks, Labour MPs had promised to spend £7,000,000,000 on community projects. The politics of the UK are such that the Tories can't stand on a platform that says, "We'll not build a new village hall" (or whatever).

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Why oh why oh why does someone - journalist perhaps??? - not ask..

Asking pertinant questions and understanding numbers are not part of a journalist's skill set set these days. Key requirements are "pretty face", "empathising" and being right-on with regard to social issues.

Edited by Steppenpig

HOLA4418

If it's not hurting it's not working.

The free money is coming to an end.

Be warned house price lovers and excuse givers.

The younger generations are weighed down carrying it all for you.

HOLA4419

All this tax credit gets spent anyway. That woman and millions like her spent it on just getting by in consumer britain which should benefit us all.

It's like QE for the people is it?

Portfolio landlords kept doubled down into it at ever higher prices.

I work in a global economy that doesn't need your extra spending boost to also allow further concentrated malinvestment by those it is spent with. It's equalised financial positions between productive workers and non-productive workers (who went and paid higher prices for houses with the jumbo mortgages).

HOLA4420

It doesn't need to be spent by the tax credit recipient it could just as easily be spent by the tax payer who pays for the tax credits. Of course some of the "need" for tax credits is in the government jobs "created" in administering that but that's a separate issue of tax gouging and inefficiency.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4421

It doesn't need to be spent by the tax credit recipient it could just as easily be spent by the tax payer who pays for the tax credits. Of course some of the "need" for tax credits is in the government jobs "created" in administering that but that's a separate issue of tax gouging and inefficiency.

Agreed, but early days a senior guy at HMRC grumbled to the press about the extra workload.

Labour may have seen it more the way you outline. Just as some dumbster I know miraculously got a well-paid job in 2009 in Whitehall with an election coming up.

And exactly for the bold part. However the shiny happy people would complain that we would save what we earn, not spend it.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425