House Price Crash Forum

Legal Highs - It's All Getting A Bit Silly Now

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

The legislation needs to be seriously overhauled; new ones are being popped out every few months and the legislation takes years to come in. Mcat for example is a now a huge llegal drug and gained its popularity in the legal years.

Taking one local paper with another story of a death, here are the related stories:

The government needs to recognise that heroin and coke are so last century when it comes to killing people.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Student-dead-Plymouth-halls-residence-taking/story-27992604-detail/story.html

HOLA442
HOLA443

Having lost a couple of friends to drugs (skunk in one case) it's hard to know what to suggest. You think it's bad now but wait until home chemists are able to genetically engineer drugs tailored to individuals with specific effects. The law will have zero chance of keeping up.

Humans like to get off their heads/alter their mental states with substances - be it illegal drugs or legal ones like tobacco or alcohol. Perhaps we need to accept that we will lose some people, legalise the lot and tax them according to risk/cost to NHS.

HOLA444

Having lost a couple of friends to drugs (skunk in one case) it's hard to know what to suggest. You think it's bad now but wait until home chemists are able to genetically engineer drugs tailored to individuals with specific effects. The law will have zero chance of keeping up.

Humans like to get off their heads/alter their mental states with substances - be it illegal drugs or legal ones like tobacco or alcohol. Perhaps we need to accept that we will lose some people, legalise the lot and tax them according to risk/cost to NHS.

That's my preferred option, although I appreciate there would be unforeseen consequences.

HOLA445

Was that directly or indirectly

HOLA446
HOLA447

Indirectly. Heavy user for a couple of years. Diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. Eventually took his own life because he could tell he was getting worse again, and didn't want to cause hassle for others.

That's very sad. I personally see the prevalence of skunk as a fairly direct result of prohibition of the weaker stuff, purely on the basis that it's much more practical from a growing, logistical, and "customer feedback" point of view. I liken it to walking into Tesco and only being able to buy 50% vodka or aftershave, and the likely effects that would have on the proportion of the population whop were predisposed to enjoy a drink.

HOLA448

That's very sad. I personally see the prevalence of skunk as a fairly direct result of prohibition of the weaker stuff, purely on the basis that it's much more practical from a growing, logistical, and "customer feedback" point of view. I liken it to walking into Tesco and only being able to buy 50% vodka or aftershave, and the likely effects that would have on the proportion of the population whop were predisposed to enjoy a drink.

Yes, not a user myself but I have frequently read that the older users who bought in the 60s, 70s & 80s and who now grow their own see it (perhaps correctly) as relatively harmless but they don't appreciate that it has changed.

Legalisation of cannabis came up on one of the local radio phone-ins this week and the views of both sides are so intrenched whilst simulataneously being ill-informed that I don't see an honest debate happening any time soon. I can't stand the stuff and avoid frequent users like the plague (the most boring people under the sun) but would on balance: legalise, control and tax it. Though saying that on local radio would have had people attacking me as a drug fiend.

HOLA449

Or to quote Mike Skinner :-

One day they're gonna make electrical implants for the brain

That simulate raving sensations, Wayne

Imagine the dilemma, for the man and his penance

If he could get ****ed without hanging his health up

Would this be illegal?

Would the Daily Mail rail on it?

Is this evil to need to escape these capers?

HOLA4410

Yes, not a user myself but I have frequently read that the older users who bought in the 60s, 70s & 80s and who now grow their own see it (perhaps correctly) as relatively harmless but they don't appreciate that it has changed.

Legalisation of cannabis came up on one of the local radio phone-ins this week and the views of both sides are so intrenched whilst simulataneously being ill-informed that I don't see an honest debate happening any time soon. I can't stand the stuff and avoid frequent users like the plague (the most boring people under the sun) but would on balance: legalise, control and tax it. Though saying that on local radio would have had people attacking me as a drug fiend.

Yep, I remember reading that 24% (and perhaps even higher) THC content is not uncommon now, whereas Jimi Hendrix and his mates would have kicked back and smoked something roughly 1/3 of that strength. A quick look at Jimi's taste in clothes tells me that 8% is more than enough.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Surely now cannabis is decriminalised across so much of America it won't be long till legalisation in the UK.

cannabis3.jpg

Then who is going to buy street mcat etc.?

Oh no! I have seen the word Marlboro written down out loud, and consequently now smoke 60 a day!

HOLA4413

People should learn from history that banning a substance doesn't stop people from wanting to try it or take it, all it does is push it underground and removes the Quality Control aspect whilst making a few criminals very rich. The Volstead Act demonstrated this perfectly.

People are entitled to put whatever they want in their bodies as long as it's not to the detriment of anybody else.

People will always die from taking substances whether they be legal or not, some people are irresponsible with their intake and abuse things rather than use them for the purposes of which they are intended, some are tragic accidents, some are through stupidity and not respecting the substance they are choosing to abuse, either way you could combine all illegal drug deaths together since the dawn of time and they would pale into insignificance compared to the number of deaths caused by legal substances, such as Alcohol and Tobacco.

I mean, where do you stop? Someone dies from drinking bleach so should it be banned?

If you're going to ban something, ban them all otherwise permit them all, it's the hypocrisy which makes the least sense.

HOLA4414

Yep, I remember reading that 24% (and perhaps even higher) THC content is not uncommon now, whereas Jimi Hendrix and his mates would have kicked back and smoked something roughly 1/3 of that strength. A quick look at Jimi's taste in clothes tells me that 8% is more than enough

It can be significantly higher than that but i don't see strength as being a problem ,(i smoked regularly up until about eight years ago) as most treat weed the same as most drinkers treat alcohol these days ,the average drinker don't drink spirits by the pint

It`s not a drug that is totally safe especially concerning people with underlying mental health problems i have seen this with a friend`s sister,although alcohol had an even worse affect on her

I see the so called legal highs as far more of a danger/health risk than the illegal ones Mephedrone has become a major problem in this country now

HOLA4415

It can be significantly higher than that but i don't see strength as being a problem ,(i smoked regularly up until about eight years ago) as most treat weed the same as most drinkers treat alcohol these days ,the average drinker don't drink spirits by the pint

As I understand it there are 2 main active compounds in the drug, THC and CBD, and the latter is thought to moderate the adverse effects of the former in normal strenght varieties..

The problem with skunk is that the THC/CBD ratio is changed so that the CBD no longer effectively moderates the THC, so the potential for adverse effects is far greater.

HOLA4416

Been smoking for 23 years and counting except for when I go on holiday. I cut the tobacco out a couple of months ago because of the tax you pay on them rather than for any health reasons, the Government take enough of my money without me voluntarily contributing to them as well (was only really doing about 2-3 cigarettes a night with the other) so no withdrawals to report.

I just do a couple of pipes a night now, tobacco-free. Haven't drank for nearly a decade and it was probably one of the best decisions I ever made, saved a load of money and feel a million times better as a result. I also take legal highs as I like taking drugs. I do my research and respect the substances I choose to put in my body, I know that this isn't foolproof and as mentioned above, tragedies can happen but I just try to minimise the likelihood of it occurring by being as careful and respectful as possible.

I'm also a productive member of society.

If you come into work on Monday morning and tell everybody how off your face you were on alcohol at the weekend you're celebrated like a Superstar, go into work reporting how off your face you were on a Legal High or Weed and you're looked at with serious disdain and disgust.

Doesn't seem right to me somehow.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Been smoking for 23 years and counting except for when I go on holiday. I cut the tobacco out a couple of months ago because of the tax you pay on them rather than for any health reasons, the Government take enough of my money without me voluntarily contributing to them as well (was only really doing about 2-3 cigarettes a night with the other) so no withdrawals to report.

I just do a couple of pipes a night now, tobacco-free. Haven't drank for nearly a decade and it was probably one of the best decisions I ever made, saved a load of money and feel a million times better as a result. I also take legal highs as I like taking drugs. I do my research and respect the substances I choose to put in my body, I know that this isn't foolproof and as mentioned above, tragedies can happen but I just try to minimise the likelihood of it occurring by being as careful and respectful as possible.

I'm also a productive member of society.

If you come into work on Monday morning and tell everybody how off your face you were on alcohol at the weekend you're celebrated like a Superstar, go into work reporting how off your face you were on a Legal High or Weed and you're looked at with serious disdain and disgust.

Doesn't seem right to me somehow.

MP ?

HOLA4419

As I understand it there are 2 main active compounds in the drug, THC and CBD, and the latter is thought to moderate the adverse effects of the former in normal strenght varieties..

The problem with skunk is that the THC/CBD ratio is changed so that the CBD no longer effectively moderates the THC, so the potential for adverse effects is far greater.

Skunk is a old strain and a single hybrid and a term that's used to categorize/pigeonhole all strains just like apples are used to describe many different strains skunk is not a high TCH low CBD strain but there are many strains that are high in thc and low in cbd but these strains are probably quite rarely found in the UK as they are not high yielding strains they are more of a coercers strain which would likely to be grown by someone for personal use rather than a cash crop that would be sold on

But yes you are right about the counteractive affects of the two substances or atleast recent research suggests this and there`s research ongoing with the view of using CBD as a treatment for some mental illnesses

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

MP ?

No I said Productive not Legitimate Criminal. I get up 5 times a week to go and do a job that I hate so that I can pay Landlord's Borrow-To-Let mortgages on houses in my street inhabited by Pram-Faces with 4 kids and waster Hubbies who still ride around on BMX's and get up when they want after spending the morning swearing at their scumbag offspring and then wonder why they have 7 and 8 years old's running around the street F'ing and Blinding.

I own my house outright and never took out a mortgage, I saved like an idiot and sacrificed a lot.

But I'm not bitter. Maybe that explains my recreational intake?

HOLA4424

No I said Productive not Legitimate Criminal. I get up 5 times a week to go and do a job that I hate so that I can pay Landlord's Borrow-To-Let mortgages on houses in my street inhabited by Pram-Faces with 4 kids and waster Hubbies who still ride around on BMX's and get up when they want after spending the morning swearing at their scumbag offspring and then wonder why they have 7 and 8 years old's running around the street F'ing and Blinding.

I own my house outright and never took out a mortgage, I saved like an idiot and sacrificed a lot.

But I'm not bitter. Maybe that explains my recreational intake?

You need to take a chill pill :D

HOLA4425

Archived