House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Pm Question Time Today - Housing Questions For Camoron From Corbyn

The trouble for corbyn is anything he attacks Cameron on housing with, Cameron can just reply 'with open borders there will always be a housing shortage'

But he has no plans to change that in the slightest has he?

For all the posturing on immigration it is higher than ever.

I think Corbyn's "crowdsourced" approach works well. Who remembers the Blair years and two Eton-educated toffs yelling at each other :(

Yes Tories were giggling at the mention of the housing crisis from the comfort of their taxpayer funded homes, and a nice little London bubble they have blown

At 2:32 in the clip Cameron says "get prices down"

Not the same thing as falling prices, but nice to have a closet hpcer at Number 10.

All he has to do is regulate the banks. Stop favouring investing in property over having a home. Build social housing - and stop selling it off.

I noticed that and for a brief moment thought that's a change from affordable housing. Mind you it's Cameron - and the politician - did he mean get prices up.

Apparently they were giggling on the benches behind him so were they giggling at the audacity of the blatant and outright lie.

Edited by billybong

All he has to do is regulate the banks. Stop favouring investing in property over having a home. Build social housing - and stop selling it off.

Arguably they've done the first two. MMR and the FPC soft-cap on LTI are a real sea change compared to pre-2008 lending practices. BoE to get powers to hold BTL lending practices where they are, threat of Basel III pushing BTL rates away from current lows. Summer Budget moved the goal posts on tax incentives to leverage into property. For the time being prices continue to rise and give the appearance that nothing is changing.

Apparently they were giggling on the benches behind him so were they giggling at the audacity of the blatant and outright lie.

Proper hpc cynicism :D

Fair enough though, that last twenty years has given plenty of cause for cynicism.

I noticed that and for a brief moment thought that's a change from affordable housing. Mind you it's Cameron - and the politician - did he mean get prices up.

It's hilarious to them because they are completely out of touch and think the plebs don't deserve what they have. They think it is funny that so many people are priced out because they are mostly sociopaths with inherited wealth and have no concept of "reality" as Corbyn so succintly put.

I like Corbyn's style. Just shows he really is a man of the people. Getting some of the real questions re housing into the spotlight. Moron was right about nuLabour not building any homes in 13 years though.

I like Corbyn's style. Just shows he really is a man of the people. Getting some of the real questions re housing into the spotlight. Moron was right about nuLabour not building any homes in 13 years though.

Did Corbyn once complain about lack of housing when Labour were in charge?

Fair comment, but better now than never. Its significant that for the first time we have a high profile politician directly challenging the "high prices are good" meme.

Edited by goldbug9999

If he did I very much doubt you'll find reports of him doing so in the msn.

Plenty of photoshopped pics of him dining with Bin Laden, cohorting with our Alien overlords and sharing a vodka with Lenin....

If he did I very much doubt you'll find reports of him doing so in the msn.

Plenty of photoshopped pics of him dining with Bin Laden, cohorting with our Alien overlords and sharing a vodka with Lenin....

I am sure the Guardian would have let us know if he been a champion of housing needs under NuLabour.

Why bother photoshopping things when he called for a minutes silence for dead IRA members (I wouldn't have minded if he had that attitude to all terrorists but he seemed to favour some more than others).

Edited by iamnumerate

Just typed "Corbyn Housing 2001" into Google and found this speech which could have been written by anyone of us:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200102/cmhansrd/vo010703/halltext/10703h01.htm

"Housing in London is a huge problem. During the election campaign, Londoners raised individual problems on the doorstep with candidates from all parties. Tragically, however, those problems did not surface in the reporting of the election. Indeed, most of the media reported the reporting of the election rather than the issues raised by the electorate, which was regrettable. It was also regrettable that London's media, with some honourable exceptions, seemed to deal almost exclusively with the private sector market and house prices. They continually wrote about the gains that people could make by selling their property rather than the desperate housing situation that many people face.

One does not have to travel far on the London underground to realise that there is an enormous and growing gap between the haves in London—those who are on the property boom ladder—and the have-nots. That problem is compounded by a new practice among building societies: they are offering huge mortgages for houses for private rent, which drives up the private rented market and house prices, and leads to an even greater gap between the haves and the have-nots in London.

Matters are not much different outside London. Much of the south-east suffers the same problem, with booming house prices and a shortage of affordable rented housing. However, the midlands and the north of England, and to some extent Scotland and Wales, suffer another problem: under-occupation of estates and the related question of housing management. That was brought home to me when I visited the May day rally at Burnley. My hon. Friend the Member for Burnley (Mr. Pike), who spoke extremely well, said that the Government needed to sort out Burnley's housing problem: there are 5,000 empty properties in Burnley. That enormous problem leads to massive deprivation, vandalism and social exclusion. Clearly, it must be

3 Jul 2001 : Column 2WH

addressed. London, however, does not have that problem. London's problem is one of huge shortages. That is what I want to draw to hon. Members' attention this morning.

My borough of Islington has the same problems as most inner-London boroughs. My hon. Friends the Members for Bethnal Green and Bow (Ms King) and for Hampstead and Highgate (Glenda Jackson) both represent London areas with acute housing stress. The constituency of my hon. Friend the Member for Hampstead and Highgate has areas of enormous wealth and of enormous poverty. Less than half a mile—in some cases, only a few hundred yards—separate them.

My borough suffers from much the same problem. There is an image problem. Parts of the borough are extremely wealthy. Everyone there eats in expensive restaurants every night and their only concern is whether to eat Indian, Chinese or French food; nothing else bothers them. In reality, my borough is the eighth most deprived in London. Unemployment is as high or higher than in many northern towns. The borough has massive housing problems, most of which I am told about at my advice surgery every week."

I'm pretty sure he did. I followed him well before he was Labour leader and he always had a lot to say on his website about the housing crisis and he was against a lot of what nuLabour did. He went against the party on a lot of things as far as I recall.

That is the reason why he is now Labour leader. Because he was the only one of the candidates to actually say something different and go against neoLiberalism. He is also seen as having integrity by saying what he believes rather than towing the party line. Voters are so disillusioned by career politicians that Corbyn stood out as one of the old school types (along with people like Frank Field) who actually want to make things better, albeit a lot of Corbyn's ideals might be wrong but at least he sticks to what he believes and doesn't do an Andy Burnham, changing his mind according to what he thinks will get him elected.

Edited by fru-gal

It's hilarious to them because they are completely out of touch and think the plebs don't deserve what they have. They think it is funny that so many people are priced out because they are mostly sociopaths with inherited wealth and have no concept of "reality" as Corbyn so succintly put.

It's funny... and Corbyn is not a sociopath!?

Corbyn's been called a lot of things, but I don't think sociopath is one I've heard before.

Why do you think he's a sociopath ? I've got friends of friends who know him well and they all say he's a decent principled bloke.

Corbyn is a hero for raising housing at PMQs twice in a row. It's the only issue that matters to me.

I wrote a letter to the Treasury a few weeks ago asking how on earth I am supposed to buy - so far no response. Someone needs to hold the Government to account and force them to fix the problem. I hope Corbyn continues raising this at every PMQs.

MPs laughing (whether it was at the idea of another 'mailbag question' or on the housing issue itself) is disgusting. People's lives are slowly being ruined as their productive years are swallowed by the housing monster. Take away these braying fools' 'expenses' and they'd be just as screwed as I am. £74k doesn't get you very far these days.

Corbyn's been called a lot of things, but I don't think sociopath is one I've heard before.

Why do you think he's a sociopath ? I've got friends of friends who know him well and they all say he's a decent principled bloke.

Ok, here is a google definition of the sociopath:

"A person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behaviour."

And this a bit more elaborate take of Doug Casey on describing these species:

"There are seven characteristics I can think of that define a sociopath, although I'm sure the list could be extended.

1. Sociopaths completely lack a conscience or any capacity for real regret about hurting people. Although they pretend the opposite.
  2. Sociopaths put their own desires and wants on a totally different level from those of other people. Their wants are incommensurate. They truly believe their ends justify their means. Although they pretend the opposite.
  3. Sociopaths consider themselves superior to everyone else, because they aren't burdened by the emotions and ethics others have – they're above all that. They're arrogant. Although they pretend the opposite.
  4. Sociopaths never accept the slightest responsibility for anything that goes wrong, even though they're responsible for almost everything that goes wrong. You'll never hear a sincere apology from them.
  5. Sociopaths have a lopsided notion of property rights. What's theirs is theirs, and what's yours is theirs too. They therefore defend currency inflation and taxation as good things.
  6. Sociopaths usually pick the wrong target to attack. If they lose their wallet, they kick the dog. If 16 Saudis fly planes into buildings, they attack Afghanistan.
  7. Sociopaths traffic in disturbing news, they love to pass on destructive rumors and they'll falsify information to damage others."

Ok, here is a google definition of the sociopath:

"A person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behaviour."

And this a bit more elaborate take of Doug Casey on describing these species:

"There are seven characteristics I can think of that define a sociopath, although I'm sure the list could be extended.

• Sociopaths completely lack a conscience or any capacity for real regret about hurting people. Although they pretend the opposite.
  • Sociopaths put their own desires and wants on a totally different level from those of other people. Their wants are incommensurate. They truly believe their ends justify their means. Although they pretend the opposite.
  • Sociopaths consider themselves superior to everyone else, because they aren't burdened by the emotions and ethics others have they're above all that. They're arrogant. Although they pretend the opposite.
  • Sociopaths never accept the slightest responsibility for anything that goes wrong, even though they're responsible for almost everything that goes wrong. You'll never hear a sincere apology from them.
  • Sociopaths have a lopsided notion of property rights. What's theirs is theirs, and what's yours is theirs too. They therefore defend currency inflation and taxation as good things.
  • Sociopaths usually pick the wrong target to attack. If they lose their wallet, they kick the dog. If 16 Saudis fly planes into buildings, they attack Afghanistan.
  • Sociopaths traffic in disturbing news, they love to pass on destructive rumors and they'll falsify information to damage others."

That's roughly 95% of this forum

That's roughly 95% of this forum

ha ha you a funny man... that you see some individually frustrated souls, that does not make them a sociopath. People possessing all of the above and then some + having the desire to forcefully set the rules of how others should be leading their lives to fulfill their own nightmare, now how many of those? Sure, there is some folk here who couldn't care less about anything but house prices - that's narrow-mindedness for you. But don't confuse it with the big bro.

I don't care if Corbyn is a sociopath or not. I care about living in a country where I have a decent home of my own.

Anyone who presses the government on this issue deserves congratulations.

And anyone not considering unintended consequences of more interventions (instead of their relaxation) will get exactly what they deserve. You have a great deal of leaders proclaiming aims that can be applauded - that does not mean they either have willingness or often a clue to make good on them.

Re housing, as I am not following Corbyn closely, what is his take on the HTB, for example?