House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

Divorce Gets More Expensive

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34524641

Two women who say they were misled by their ex-husbands and should get more money in their divorce settlements have won their Supreme Court fight.
Alison Sharland, who accepted £10m in her divorce

Ms Sharland, from Wilmslow in Cheshire, believed the £10m settlement she accepted in her 2010 divorce from her husband Charles, a software entrepreneur, represented half of his wealth.
Under the settlement, the 48-year-old would also receive 30% of the proceeds of shares held by her husband in his company when he sold them.

It later transpired he had lied about his company's value - which the financial press estimated to be worth about £600m - as well as plans to float it on the stock market.

"Mr Sharland's primary objectives have always remained the same - to arrive at a fair settlement with Mrs Sharland and to make generous provision for his children."

Avoid divorce by not getting married. :wacko: There, I have said it! It is the Word of Pin.

Are they Money grabbing whores?

Unless they added value to their husbands net worth why should they get anything these days?

They demanded equality (in all things) let them have it.

The judgement as to why the justices arrivedat their decision will be worth a read. I suspect they have added value and are therefore entitled to something which they never got.

Why any ambitious man, or man who already has significant assets, would get married is beyond me.

Indeed. But I don't think it's a good idea to broadcast that fact (except on here).

I have seen people doing this but who am I to dissuade them, some marriages are long and mostly happy and only ended by death and they might be one of those?

Indeed. But I don't think it's a good idea to broadcast that fact (except on here).

I have seen people doing this but who am I to dissuade them, some marriages are long and mostly happy and only ended by death and they might be one of those?

I have a mate who recently married a woman who refuses to have sex with him - no sex for the last year and a half, no sex on the honeymoon, no sex since.

He's worked himself to the verge of a nervous breakdown to provide a house and a flashy wedding. I don't think he should have married her. Whilst I made no secret of this, I only said it to his face once, and then let him go and do what he wants to do, and we're still good friends.

At the end of the day you have to look after number 1 and let people make their own mistakes. Perhaps they have better marriages than what I see from the outside, but very, very few of my married friends are married to women that I consider worthy of giving up your freedom for.

And on the flip side, my most red-pill/alpha friend, with the best looking girlfriend, seemingly has no intention of ever getting married or having kids. While my married friends are spoken to like naughty children by their fat and/or frigid wives, he is absolutely adored/admired by his slim, attractive, constantly horny girlfriend.

I have a mate who recently married a woman who refuses to have sex with him - no sex for the last year and a half, no sex on the honeymoon, no sex since.

He's worked himself to the verge of a nervous breakdown to provide a house and a flashy wedding. I don't think he should have married her. Whilst I made no secret of this, I only said it to his face once, and then let him go and do what he wants to do, and we're still good friends.

At the end of the day you have to look after number 1 and let people make their own mistakes. Perhaps they have better marriages than what I see from the outside, but very, very few of my married friends are married to women that I consider worthy of giving up your freedom for.

You've said it once so you've done your bit and your conscience is clear. I think we all feel we know this mate from your postings on it; he is throwing away his life but you can't stop some people and they will hate anybody pointing out what they secretly know already.

And on the flip side, my most red-pill/alpha friend, with the best looking girlfriend, seemingly has no intention of ever getting married or having kids. While my married friends are spoken to like naughty children by their fat and/or frigid wives, he is absolutely adored/admired by his slim, attractive, constantly horny girlfriend.

He will break.

Are they Money grabbing whores?

Unless they added value to their husbands net worth why should they get anything these days?

They demanded equality (in all things) let them have it.

The judgement as to why the justices arrivedat their decision will be worth a read. I suspect they have added value and are therefore entitled to something which they never got.

If these burds spent 20 years raising the kids. Didint follow their own career during that time - and the marriage ended through no cheating or similar from their side ? Then yes - I think getting half the money he earned during that period for the work she put in is fair enough. If not however - then no ******ing chance.

And this should go both ways. I know legally it will - I doubt it does in reality though.

You know what the answer is, if you can't trust yourself in sickness and health, richer or porer till death do part to share all wordly goods in an honest way........don't get married........not difficult.

Weak friends....

I've got round this problem by being poor. My girlfriend earns twice as much as me, even so, I won't get married. I'd happily leave with the clothes on my back. No woman thinks this way.

He will break.

Yep

It surprises me these assets and amounts aren't easier to source without the need for disclosure. The woman with the husband with the £60 million contract should have built that into the settlement terms, not difficult, just stupid lawyers

As I found, owning a 'business' triggers automatic thoughts from the opposition, the irony was that the ex never took an interest when I wanted her to and knew absolutely sod all about it in court

I've got round this problem by being poor. My girlfriend earns twice as much as me, even so, I won't get married. I'd happily leave with the clothes on my back. No woman thinks this way.

+1.

I made it clear to my ex-wife that if she did not accept the (fair) financial settlement that I offered, and challenged it in court, then I would fight until there was nothing left for either of us, like the Jarndyce v Jarndyce case in Dickens' 'Bleak House.'

I think this is more to do the ongoing collapse of income within the legal sector. Desperate attempts to get some fees.

The cases here:

Indian woman claims hubby had a lot more money than he claimed. He did. It was all illegal. Frankly the state should be going after her car and earlier settlement as part of proceeds of crime act.

Other woman. Woman claims husbands company is worth a lot more. Err, they tried to float it and failed. Maybe they'll float it. may they will not. Point is its not money, hard cash at the mo and may never be.

I think this is more to do the ongoing collapse of income within the legal sector. Desperate attempts to get some fees.

The cases here:

Indian woman claims hubby had a lot more money than he claimed. He did. It was all illegal. Frankly the state should be going after her car and earlier settlement as part of proceeds of crime act.

Other woman. Woman claims husbands company is worth a lot more. Err, they tried to float it and failed. Maybe they'll float it. may they will not. Point is its not money, hard cash at the mo and may never be.

The one about the Indian woman made me laugh. that would be ironic, think you're right about the legal sector...

Marriage is dangerous, will never ever do it again

I nearly got married once. Was a long time GF of some years, but Little "MrPin" in my head told me not to. She left after a while so it's a good job I didn't. :rolleyes: I felt like Indiana Jones, escaping with my hat.

The one about the Indian woman made me laugh. that would be ironic, think you're right about the legal sector...

Marriage is dangerous, will never ever do it again

I think the point is valid - you lie then any settlement is invalid.

However, in this case the money was either nicked or exists as a fantasy sum for a failed-to-float company.