House Price Crash Forum

Living Apart Together: The Cautious Approach

RichM

HOLA441

Living apart together: the cautious approach

Figures released by the Office of National Statistics yesterday showed that the overall number of "living apart together" (LAT) couples, counting the students and teenagers, is now around the same as the number of cohabiting couples. Three in every 10 men and women who are neither married or cohabiting are LATs. Some are in same sex relationships. The ONS claims the LATs are a new social trend.

Last month, the Unilever Family Report 2005 - Home Alone?, authored by the Institute of Public Policy Research predicted that by 2021, 35% of Britons would be solo livers. The report revealed how living alone affects men and women differently, with 56% of men saying that they are sometimes lonely against 48% of women.

All a bit miserable, really. Why don't people just get hitched? You're nowt special!

HOLA442
HOLA443

I don't know Fred, I just don't know.

Not enough old-fashioned romance, I suspect, no "dances", or holding-hand stages to go through. Just one quick shag round the back of Yate's wine lodge, and then where do you go? A slow meander through months of uncertainty, delicately trying to work out if your partner is keen on you or not, no clear milestones to go through, before realising that your potential mate has the same flaws as you - and so is dumped.

It's not how the Amish would do not, that's for sure.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I don't know Fred, I just don't know.

Not enough old-fashioned romance, I suspect, no "dances", or holding-hand stages to go through. Just one quick shag round the back of Yate's wine lodge, and then where do you go? A slow meander through months of uncertainty, delicately trying to work out if your partner is keen on you or not, no clear milestones to go through, before realising that your potential mate has the same flaws as you - and so is dumped.

It's not how the Amish would do not, that's for sure.

Oh well, thats my new year start-up chaperone business up the swanny then :(;)

HOLA446

i dont get why the women that live alone and the men that live alone dont get together ?

Well some of them may be gay of course! (1 in 10 apparantly) so considerations have to be made there.

As for the remaining women and men some will be the bitter and twisted ones who are too bitter and twisted to accept eachother.

After that come the financially reckless...you know the type "So, have you got kids from your previous relationship?"...."No, just a bucketload of debts and my £15 per month subscription to Horoscopes monthly". I couldn't live with that, and believe me I tried once...impossible!

Which other factors keep someone single (against their will)?

HOLA447
HOLA448

Oh, you mean like when there's no orchestra and fireworks in the background on the morning of your third anniversary, just the husband running to the newsagents to buy a card before his wife realises he's forgotten?

Or that Nicole and Papa don't really have time to go driving around france in their matching new cars? The reality for Nicole and Papa is driving to Tesco for the shopping instead of the usual Asda?

Perhaps it's the fact that the Ikea lounge all spik and span in the brochure doesn't also show the red bills and final demands hidden away in the "Clausstropp" drawer unit that keep daddy working all hours at the office alongside his blonde secretary?

I think you may be onto something RFD!

;)

HOLA449

I know two sets of couples that are both on the dole, living apart in different houses because they get more benefits as single people.

Just conning the system as they are obviously not single.

Both run cars, have had three holidays this year, one abroad.

One couple have four kids, 1 lives in one house the other three live in the other.

The systems wrong and if you know how to crack it you can live without working.

HOLA4410

Who funds this ONS? They seem to peddle fiddled stats and now utterly pointless stats?

Since when did going out with someone become 'living apart together'?

If this daft phrase catches on I can see all the Vicky Pollard kids going, 'Are u still going out wiv yer boyf?'

'Yeah, we've now decided to live apart together'.

'Isn't that a bit soon?'

'But I really love him'.

What next?

'Solosexuals now outnumber gays, which could lead to calls for equal rights for w-a-n-kers'.

'Relationships between online gamers could reduce demand for housing due to rise in the number of virtual homes?'

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

HOLA4411

Who funds this ONS? They seem to peddle fiddled stats and now utterly pointless stats?

Since when did going out with someone become 'living apart together'?

If this daft phrase catches on I can see all the Vicky Pollard kids going, 'Are u still going out wiv yer boyf?'

'Yeah, we've now decided to live apart together'.

'Isn't that a bit soon?'

'But I really love him'.

What next?

'Solosexuals now outnumber gays, which could lead to calls for equal rights for w-a-n-kers'.

'Relationships between online gamers could reduce demand for housing due to rise in the number of virtual homes?'

LOL

HOLA4412
Guest STR2004

"Why don't people just get hitched? "

I can't speak for young (or gay) people in a relationship but if you're a little older and she has children it simply makes no financial sense to 'get hitched' or live together. I have some friends that have been dating for quite a while, she has two children, works and earns < £15K, he earns £40K and lives alone. As a working parent she gets an extra £400 to £500 (not sure exactly) per month in tax credits. £6000 a year tax free is a pretty large incentive to stay single don't you think?

STR

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Marriage gives the woman financial rights when the relationship breaks up, to take account of the fact that she's done most of the childcare and housework and has less earning power.

Most men don't want to take that on, once they've been through one marriage breakup. Especially if the woman already has kids from another relationship.