House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Royal Navy Needs To Hire Foreign Sailors

Navy forced to hire foreign troops to fill the ranks as former top brass warn 4,000-sailor shortage puts it in a 'perilous situation'

The warning came from former Vice Admiral Sir Jeremy Blackham and the Royal Navy may now be forced to hire foreign troops from six countries including New Zealand, Canada and Australia.

It seems the modern world doesn't like the discipline needed for the military or the military needs to adapt to modern life.

Aus navy is hiring loads of ex RN crew.

Makes economic sense for the UK military to go the way of the rest of the workforce - hire in a bunch of people from the Indian sub-continent to man our armed forces. Better still, hire them from the Middle East. What could go wrong?

Take it, it's all I have!

A Royal Naval parrot does not need money.

The Navy's recruitment problem is caused by expecting the same queue of young fit recruits they've always had when video games have reduced fitness levels and university education for all has meant that people start looking for work three or four years later.

So reduce the fitness requirement, raise the maximum age so that you get second jobbers, and extend the training period to compensate.

The Navy's recruitment problem is caused by expecting the same queue of young fit recruits they've always had when video games have reduced fitness levels and university education for all has meant that people start looking for work three or four years later.

So reduce the fitness requirement, raise the maximum age so that you get second jobbers, and extend the training period to compensate.

I nearly joined the Navy, as a desk jobber. I really liked boats. I am fit enough to use a mouse, and work a printer.

I nearly joined the Navy, as a desk jobber. I really liked boats. I am fit enough to use a mouse, and work a printer.

I'm guessing this is an optical mouse rather than the harder to shift track ball version.

I'm guessing this is an optical mouse rather than the harder to shift track ball version.

I might have been an old mouse with fluff in its ball!

Anyway I would have to wear a white shirt, and people would have to call me "sir"!

I quite like that.

!

Guest eight

I did know a bloke who was in the Navy until somebody dropped a gun carriage on his feet during the royal tournament. So there's one that they've needlessly got to replace for no good reason. He was a ship's cook and could break 300 eggs into moulds, both handed at the same time, in about two minutes, and nary a trace of shell. We had to make a lot of Yorkshire puddings and cakes at the place we worked to enable him to wow people with this trick.

Splice the mainbrace! Prepare the binnacle for the cabin boy! :blink: Anchors away. We're going pirating. :wacko:

Retired Vice Admiral Sir Jeremy Blackham warned: ‘From a naval point of view, there is a serious problem. It’s said to be when I last spoke to the Fleet Commander, of the order of 3,500 to 4,000 people.’

He looks more like Ronnie Pickering - don't ask who he is.

Maybe if they stopped fighting illegal wars and doing whatever the yanks tell them to more people would be willing to join.

Morally, I'd have a very hard time justifying to myself its an honourable thing to serve one's country at the current time.

Defence chiefs are now asking countries across the world to loan Britain troops in a desperate bid to make up the numbers, it was said.

Maybe they could train British troops as well.

Apparently they're queueing up in Calais near the tunnel to join the RN.

It is not a bad idea, 5 years compulsory military service for anyone immigrating to the UK without a job offer. Bit like the old Roman Empire.

I thought they'd just sacked off a load of people in the last few years?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they've shrunk the force so much that they don't have the time, money or capactiy to train new personel, have been living off cold war legacy for the last 15 or so years and are suddenly finding the next generation of mariners isn't there.

I seem to remember reading that the Tornado was supposed to be phased out this year but because the RAF have so few pilots left they simply can't transitition them onto the Typhoon.