House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Twitter To Honour Sacked Staff By Making The App Better!

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/twitter-sacks-hundreds-of-members-of-staff-as-new-ceo-jack-dorsey-culls-employees-a6692391.html

Twitter has announced that it will be sacking hundreds of staff, as the company attempts to stem its slowing growth.

In an email sent to employees today, titled "A more focused Twitter", new boss Jack Dorsey said that the company plans "to part ways with up to 336 people from across the company". That amounts to about 8 per cent of the company's workforce, which its claims is made up of 4,100 people.

The company plans to honour the sacked staff "by doing our best to serve all the people that use Twitter", according to Dorsey's letter.

"This isn't easy," Dorsey wrote. "But it is right. The world needs a strong Twitter, and this is another step to get there".

Dorsey became Twitter's permanent boss only last week, after months of running the company in a temporary role. He had long been expected to have to give up his payments company, Square, to take on the job full-time, but the company relaxed that requirement.

Soon after Dorsey took on the role rumours circulated that Twitter would fire a large proprtion of its staff.

Beginning his message by noting that "Emails like this are usually riddled with corporate speak so I'm going to give it to you straight", Dorsey said that the team "has been working around the clock to produce streamlined roadmap for Twitter, Vine, and Periscope".

"So we have made an extremely tough decision: we plan to part ways with up to 336 people from across the company. We are doing this with the utmost respect for each and every person. Twitter will go to great lengths to take care of each individual by providing generous exit packages and help finding a new job."

A new development in corporate speak? Yes we've sacked you but we'll remember you by making the product better?

I don't know why Twitter doesn't enable monetisation? People can put adverts in their twitter feeds. Twitter gets a nice cut, and so does the twitterer.

Twitter employs 4k people?!?

To do what? I could build and maintain their app. Would need a big team for add sales and that's about it.

As a comparison Nissan in Sunderland employ around 6000, churning out over 500,000 cars a year.

Even with ad sales, which would probably be automated other that for large contracts, I struggle to see why so many are needed.

Twitter employs 4k people?!?

To do what? I could build and maintain their app. Would need a big team for add sales and that's about it.

Let me guess - 25 software engineers, 25 database admins, 25 server setup/maintenance engineers, 1000 in sales/marketing, 2900 managers.

Let me guess - 25 software engineers, 25 database admins, 25 server setup/maintenance engineers, 1000 in sales/marketing, 2900 managers.

Wow - you just described practically every giant I.T. outsourcer I've ever worked for, in terms of staff ratio (obviously not absolute numbers).

Wow - you just described practically every giant I.T. outsourcer I've ever worked for, in terms of staff ratio (obviously not absolute numbers).

well, if you have a cash cow with a roadmap of progress, you gotta show you are hitting it properly.

US corporate culture, especially in silicon valley, is to hire thousands in order to make your company look dynamic and hence bump the share price. There is also the concept of if you hire people then another company can't hire them.

Firing is good for twitter - stock price up 5% on the news. :rolleyes:

What's the typical staff turnover for a company like this? I'd have thought 8% could be attained in six months or so of normal wastage. The bit that scares me is the implication somebody thought that public statement would sound good.