House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Lambeth Landlord Ordered To Pay £427,000 Or Face Prison

Just allow councils to keep money from fines and you will see a lot more of this kind of thing.

they are getting a third of the money...if it ever arrives, to do more of this sort of thing.

None of the reports talk about the length of time this all took though.

Wonder if Hounslow council will go after Mr Patel with his illegal beds in sheds?

....... no I thought not.

Sadly probably right. The reality is all this guy has probably done wrong is not have a 'cousin' in the planning department.

I find it hard to be positive about the role that councils play in respect of planning. To me, they appear to see their role as stopping things from happening, things that they see as bad. It's all very well to say things like Lambeth takes a hard line against rogue landlords who try to make a quick buck out of the housing crisis." Unfortunately, saying no to things will not do anything to ease the crisis. What would help is if they said yes to more new development rather than obsessing about whether someone fitting new windows will affect the "character" of the area. Allowing more development will inevitably allow more bucks to be made, and I would really like them to see the wider social benefits that lie beyond the sheer outrage of somebody making a profit.

I hope this character was indeed a proper slumlord. In a world where evil landlords exist and not all are prosecuted, it would be a shame to make an example of one who was basically decent towards his tenants.

I find it hard to be positive about the role that councils play in respect of planning. To me, they appear to see their role as stopping things from happening, things that they see as bad. It's all very well to say things like Lambeth takes a hard line against rogue landlords who try to make a quick buck out of the housing crisis." Unfortunately, saying no to things will not do anything to ease the crisis. What would help is if they said yes to more new development rather than obsessing about whether someone fitting new windows will affect the "character" of the area. Allowing more development will inevitably allow more bucks to be made, and I would really like them to see the wider social benefits that lie beyond the sheer outrage of somebody making a profit.

Speaking of which... http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2015-10-13-Lambeth-Council-to-build-more-and-better-homes

If it wasn't for the fact that it relied on the draconian and scary Proceeds of Crime Act, it'd be a totally heartwarming tale.

If it wasn't for the fact that it relied on the draconian and scary somewhat effective (but not as good as the Irish one) Proceeds of Crime Act, it'd be a totally heartwarming tale.

corrected for you :P

“Let this be a lesson to anyone else who thinks they can cheat their way to a profit..

Three cases sorted and "more in the pipeline" - not exactly speedy.

What happened to the flats at a time of claimed shortage. It doesn't say whether they did or didn't meet standards just that he didn't have planning permission.

Edited by billybong

Planning authorities have just twigged that they can use POCA and you'll see a lot more cases soon.

Previously, authorities lacked much in the way of "stick" to encourage compliance - enforcement action was costly and didn't necessarily lead to compliance so they focussed on more negotiated outcomes. Now they've worked out they can effectively confiscate the properties, they'll be all over it like a tramp on chips.

Planning authorities have just twigged that they can use POCA and you'll see a lot more cases soon.

Previously, authorities lacked much in the way of "stick" to encourage compliance - enforcement action was costly and didn't necessarily lead to compliance so they focussed on more negotiated outcomes. Now they've worked out they can effectively confiscate the properties, they'll be all over it like a tramp on chips.

PLus, if they are smart, they will link up with HMRC on the tax side. I would place good money that the vast majority of these shysters have been overclaiming for expenses, and under declaring on income.

Good on them. If they can do it with their own land and break even, I'm all for it :-)

Break even? How many of the rosiest projections did they massage to make that claim?