House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How To Add Non Mains Lighting To Garage

We're in rented accommodation with a garage in a block. There's no electricity in three and thus no lighting...

Any cheap way to light it? Rechargeable somehow? I don't really want to use a generator unless very cheap and quiet.

Lots of rechargeable led work lights available now starting from not a lot of money. What do you want the light for?

So you can see where you are going or to do some fiddly activity? If the former you should be fine.

TIlley Lamps. They kept India British for some time.

• wire up led lamps in the garage
either 12v or use mains with a cheap inverteruse a leisure lead acid batteryIn the olden days you needed a big battery (on a trolley)but these days something like a 17ah sla will have sufficient energy for many hours use and will be fine to carryget a decent intelligent charger - it'll make the battery last longercharge battery overnight at home.It is important that you never let the battery drain completely - this kills lead acids, so eitherUse a regulator (this disconnects the battery automatically when the charge reaches the lower threshold)Or use mains with an inverter - as these usually contain a circuit to disconnect when the battery reaches the threshold

You could get Tony Blair to drop his pants and bend over. Make sure you bring your Ray-bans.

Lovely thought! :D:D:D I think you will only see a shower of sh!t.

Guest eight

Lovely thought! :D:D:D I think you will only see a shower of sh!t.

That comes out of the other end, silly!

That comes out of the other end, silly!

Ha ha! :unsure:

Lots of rechargeable led work lights available now starting from not a lot of money. What do you want the light for?

So you can see where you are going or to do some fiddly activity? If the former you should be fine.

Mainly so I can sort through boxes, plus fix bike etc. A couple of very bright rechargeable work lights should be ok

There are rechargeable work lights for when you need to work under a car or similar. They are useful even if there is mains lighting.

What I'd go for is kitchen type strip lights and run them from an inverter powered by an auto battery. Charge battery at home once a week. Maybe have 2 so there is always one charged up.

I have a similar issue. My garage is a little way from the house and would not be easy to get mains power to. I basically need a setup which would power quite a few LED lights and perhaps an inverter to power a small 240v dremel type tool and some 240v woodworking tools, such as a router and electric plain.

I've had a quick search on the interwebs and found this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biard-100W-80-Watt-Solar-PV-Panel-Panels-With-10A-Charge-Controller-Waterproof/201098484219?_trksid=p2045573.c100199.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140926114406%26meid%3D3c35a493354c4ab490c494d0dcc7fe62%26pid%3D100199%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D301745091418

and an inverter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360W-Grid-Tie-Inverter-14-28V-DC-for-12V-Solar-Panel-System-UK-STOCK-/221912487600?hash=item33ab03d6b0

Would this system work for my needs?

I have a similar issue. My garage is a little way from the house and would not be easy to get mains power to. I basically need a setup which would power quite a few LED lights and perhaps an inverter to power a small 240v dremel type tool and some 240v woodworking tools, such as a router and electric plain.

I've had a quick search on the interwebs and found this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biard-100W-80-Watt-Solar-PV-Panel-Panels-With-10A-Charge-Controller-Waterproof/201098484219?_trksid=p2045573.c100199.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140926114406%26meid%3D3c35a493354c4ab490c494d0dcc7fe62%26pid%3D100199%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D301745091418

and an inverter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360W-Grid-Tie-Inverter-14-28V-DC-for-12V-Solar-Panel-System-UK-STOCK-/221912487600?hash=item33ab03d6b0

Would this system work for my needs?

You would need some big batteries to power the inverter. A generator would be simpler, but obviously not as eco-friendly.

Decent routers are close to 2Kw. Would need an expensive inverter.

Indeed. For I am an Electrical Engineer, and part time Jesus. :blink:

Decent routers are close to 2Kw. Would need an expensive inverter.

Okay, maybe not a router.

Jesus was a carpenter :blink:

Bugger! I'll make you a wooden one! :blink:

Actually Jesus made crap furniture, that only the Gallileans would buy.